Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,630 times

Advertisements

Our realtor is asking us to not rule out these neighborhoods due to HOA/ cookie-cutter factor, so we are waiting to go and see them before we nix 'em.

What are the demographics of the families living in these neighborhoods (from impression, of course, I know you don't have numbers/facts). Specifically, I'm talking ethnicity, blue or white collar, politics, etc. Any good or bad "quirk" factors that are common in any of the neighborhoods? What's the character of the 'hood?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I think that it is a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord type difference.

Austin-Steve could give you the low down.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 04:58 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Wow. This is an interesting topic. I have a feeling it could get ugly

I would say that they are all very similar. They're all very upper-middle class. Extremely nice houses, trees, excellent/ exemplary schools. Nice people. There are a lot of kids.

All are fantastic places to live, I would say especially if you have kids and are family oriented.

Differences? That's a tough one and that's where it's likely to get ugly. I really don't think there are major differences but there are some perception differences.

Steiner Ranch, obviously, is up in the north and west. We ruled it out because it takes longer to get downtown. Also it just seems further out in it's own area. The plus side is that it's beautiful out there, in the hills close to Lake travis.

Circle C is a great neighborhood. It's got nice amenities like their pool and their landscaping. During Christmas it's decorated really nice. The whole community has high standards and has nice trails and sidewalks. The downside is the homeowners association (which has a reputation for being intrusive and expensive), and the politics. Just google Circle C and you'll see what I mean. All that aside, I would buy a house there over Steiner.

Villages of Western Oaks- we ended up buying here after considering both Circle C and Villages so I'm biased. But, I think it's great. There's no HOA pool but there is Dick Nichols Park pool which is a great city pool and park with trails. There aren't too many amenities aside from landscaping. However the plus side is, the HOA fees are lower, there is less political stuff to deal with, and less of a controversy factor. Villages also feeds into great schools, and the kids in the south, newer part of Villages will feed into the same schools as the Circle C kids. Also the HEB and all the Escarpment Villages restaurants are right next to Villages. Since Beckett and Escarpment cut all the way through, they feel like the same neighborhood. It's just that in Villages you don't pay those high HOA prices or deal with the other stuff. Also of all three neighborhoods Villages is closest to downtown and I think the property values will hold up nicely, because they can't build anymore here. Circle C is huge and still building, and has to compete with Meridian and other communities even further south.

So that's my take. Many will tell you Circle C people are richer or snobbier. Don't believe this. It all depends on who it is. Everybody's different. You can find rich snobs in any of these neighborhoods, and really nice people as well. I'd say that overall I prefer Villages but that's just me.

Demographics are mostly white, upper-middle class, and very educated, with kids.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,861 times
All three are nice neighborhoods and I agree with previous posts above for the most part. You definitely need to look at these neighborhoods as they are a good representation of another way to live in Austin. I don't think you can beat the location of CCR or Villlages either for proximity to shopping, downtown, the airport and Hill Country. Plus you have the Veloway and great cycling nearby. We lived in CCR for 7 years and loved it. But if you do go to Villages make sure you are in the part that goes to the more highly rated schools. As far as the CCR HOA being expensive? It's all relative! I think we paid about $800-$850 per year for our HOA fees. I paid more than that for a dumpy condo in Colorado in the early 90's with no amenities. I think you get a lot in Circle C for that money as well...but yes, many will beg to differ and it can be a politically charged community. But I appreciated that on the level that most people really care about where they live and what happens there. That is part of the reason that our realtor told us in 2000 that CCR is the one neighborhood that will always have good resale and hold value - because the citizens are involved. We found that to be true in our time there. All are great areas for families!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,764 times
Can you tell us why you were avoiding cookie cutter neighborhoods so that we can tell you if these neighborhoods do/don't have what you're trying to avoid? If you're going for a neighborhood with a very Austin vibe, then I wouldn't think you would be wanting these. They are very nice neighborhoods with beautiful homes. Politically, I would think that Steiner would have more conservative leanings than Circle C just because it seems that when you go north you go more conservative and when you go south you don't so much, but you have to remember that this is a liberal city and nice areas does not = conservative area in Austin.

I know little about VAWO...

Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Can you tell us why you were avoiding cookie cutter neighborhoods so that we can tell you if these neighborhoods do/don't have what you're trying to avoid? If you're going for a neighborhood with a very Austin vibe, then I wouldn't think you would be wanting these.
This. And, also, why is your agent trying to get you to not rule out these neighborhoods due to the HOA/cookie cutter factor, if that's an issue you've expressed? Is it that they think that what you're looking for is only available in these (or these kind of) neighborhoods?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Personally I don't think they are very cookie cutter but it's all in the eye of the beholder. I consider some burbs cookie cutter ish, like maybe stuff in Del Valle or Hutto or Roundrock but, CCR and Villages just have nice new houses. They still feel like you live in Austin.

I would drive down to Slaughter Lane, turn right (go west) and explore everything to the north and south of it as you drive west. Circle C is to the south, Villages is to the north. Then keep going north and you'll find the older sections of Villages which have more trees, huge yards, and more mature established feeling. Some of the houses are kinda dated but we like that part as well due to the mature feeling. Also it is so close to the airport and downtown and cool areas like south congress... It's like having your cake and eating it, too. (Living in a nicer affordable home with good schools, but also close in)

Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
We live in Steiner and love it. The HOA fees are only about $53 a month, which seems pretty reasonable considering you get unlimited use of 3 swimming pools, 12 playgrounds, and 18 miles of hike and bike trails. I also like the fact that there are some shopping centers in Steiner. We can walk to get an ice cream cone or cup of coffee or go out to dinner.

And I wouldn't classify it as "very upper middle class." Houses start at about $250,000. I cringe when people imply that anyone in any of these neighborhoods are rich snobs, especially when people who live in other areas closer to town (not master planned) are not considered such - but their houses cost twice as much.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Specifically, I'm talking ethnicity, blue or white collar, politics, etc. Any good or bad "quirk" factors that are common in any of the neighborhoods? What's the character of the 'hood?
There is no real difference in the nature of the people you'll find living any any of these neighborhoods, except perhaps you might find slightly more transplants in Steiner and more original Austinites in CC/VOWO.

As to the politics, etc., it's your personal level of acceptance and pre-judgment of others that will determine how well you fit in wherever you go, not that of the neighborhood. I personally know people from all stripes that live in all of these neighborhoods, and all are happy and like where they live.

Steve

steve

Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM

To add to what Steve said, specifically about political diversity. What I'm about to say is likely to stir up controversy but I firmly believe it to be true. The southwest suburbs (like Villages of Western Oaks and Circle C) and Steiner Ranch are going to be more politically diverse than the "in town" neighborhoods. You will find people of all stripes in these suburbs, including libertarian, democrat, and republican, and others. In the central areas of Austin you will find nothing but democrats, and very little tolerance for anyone else. That is based on my 11 years experience living both central and suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin