Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM

66 posts, read 330,641 times

Advertisements

The only ice storm I was ever in was when I first moved to Raleigh, NC. The snow started falling but the schools did not want to close until lunch was served (so the day would officially be counted). By the time the schools closed and the buses got there it was 2 pm (school got out at 2:15 usually). We all hit the roads at the same time and traffic stood still.
Took me 12 hours to go 10 miles. Left school at 2 pm and got home right after 2 am. Some buses got totally stuck and some of the teachers and kids were never able to leave the school. They had an unexpected "sleepover" in the gym.
Cars were sliding everywhere. At one point going up a slight hill my speedometer was at 90 mph and I was literally inching up the hill. There was a pile of cars at the bottom and I did not want to join them.
I was never so happy to get home (even if it was 2am)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
I think I might setup a lawn chair on Parmer and watch the fun.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I think I might setup a lawn chair on Parmer and watch the fun.
OK, that was funny. As a transplant from the Northeast, I have to say I find it pretty amusing to watch Southerners try to drive in ice / snow as well.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
OK, that was funny. As a transplant from the Northeast, I have to say I find it pretty amusing to watch Southerners try to drive in ice / snow as well.
It's also funny watching northerner's trying to drive on ice thinking it's a piece of cake seeing where they came from

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
As a northerner traveling down to Austin I was first critical of the way the city reacts to ice. A little ice shuts down the city?????

Once I started living here and getting out into the country, I realized that the approach was actually the safest. Many of the secondary roads have too many hills, sharp corners and other issues that can make driving on ice deadly.

I there is significant ice on the roads tomorrow, I for one will be staying home.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
I know I give a lot of people a lot of crap about this topic, but the truth is, I do not drive in it. And once I had children (and while I was still there, forever ago), my feelings on the schools have changed dramatically. If there is any hit of trouble, call it! The kids ride the bus because they want to. But I still do not want theirs' or another other bus traveling on some back hill or country bridge road that is even in the slightest bit icy. It is not worth it!

About 2 years ago, my DH was driving from Nashville to Albuquerque, in his 4- runner, hauling a trailer with his 6 month old Harley. It was icing bad, I was talking back and forth with him, checking road conditions. On the west side of Abilene, a semi flies by him, causing my DH to jack knife, flipping the trailer only over(luckily), throwing his motorcycle out of the top of the trailer. I was a wreck, he was calm, standing on the side of the interstate, talking about how nice the people in Texas were to stop and help!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
We locals actually enjoy watching the ice melt. We caress our kids, make breakfast, all the while we are not wearing body casts. My girlfriend and I enjoy these brief moments.

I'll see you all in June when you cry and moan about 100F and 80% humidity. We'll be at Lake Travis, slathering (yes this is a word) sunscreen on each other, drinking cold beer, and watching you anti-heat heathens dropping like flies.

Life is short - enjoy your ice.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM

322 posts, read 749,025 times
Quote:

There is a HUGE difference between driving on an inch of bare ice and driving in half a foot of snow. As someone with northern driving experience you would probably agree.

Driving on thick ice with no sand/snow for traction is impossible no matter who you are.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
There is a HUGE difference between driving on an inch of bare ice and driving in half a foot of snow. As someone with northern driving experience you would probably agree.

Driving on thick ice with no sand/snow for traction is impossible no matter who you are.
I'll second that.

I LOVE driving is snow, fish taling around corners and doing doughnuts in a parking lot. Of course all of this is done with no traffic around.

I HATE driving in ice.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'll 3rd that too. Snow driving isn't bad, it's the ice that is. It was a big problem in Colorado, same as here. My husband is the fan of doing donuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin