Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinonline1 View Post
IIt is certainly a more "citified" city than Austin (though I bet you the city proper is similar in population size - it's the metropolitan statistical area that's huge)
The City of Austin is actually much larger than the City of Atlanta in population. Like you said, though, Atlanta's metro population is enormous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
If you are from New Orleans, I think you will like its twin sister Austin better

Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 19,968 times
I am from NY originaly and just moved to Boston. Boston is green and pretty too but i know the winters will be brutual. I love cities like Vancouver and SF where its green, hill station kind of look and atthe same time water ( lakes, ocean or river). Just visited Austin and loved the area around lake travis and lake austin as it has houses on hills with lake so close to it. Only conern is that its such a small city and nothing much to do outside Austin. Not a big fan of Houston or Dallas as I find those cities kind of flat ( no scenic). Upstate NY, Vermont are pretty but then again the winters you have to deal with. So was wondering how will be Atlanta in that aspect. One common complain i have heard of Atlanta is the traffic :-).

Old 09-14-2007, 04:12 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
You cant compare Austin to Atlanta, Ga. Austin is the New Orleans and San Francisco of Texas

Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,418 times
You won't lose which ever city you pick.

As a fellow NYer, both cities offer a lot.

Check out my post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...atlanta-2.html

It sums up why we like Atlanta and I could add more, but 20 minutes of thinking and typing became too much.
I haven't put together one yet for Austin, but there is equally a long post that I can now put together (being here for a year).

There are a lot more choices in Atlanta, more job opportunities since over 30 companies call Atlanta HQ, and you have access to the world via multiple direct and relatively inexpensive airlines, but things are more accessible in-town in Austin and safer.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM

144 posts, read 330,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in Atlanta for work, and enjoyed the city immensely. The one thing I noticed was that there seemed to be more angry/unhappy people in Atlanta, and I was never sure why. Sometimes, it seemed to be the 'default' mood. In all my life, I have never (as a group) seen so many unhappy, angry (or sometimes just depressed) people as the employees at the airport. I hated flying in and out of there. I have never actually lived there, so this may be a little bit of an over generalized perception, but it turned me off to Atlanta as a place to live.
People in Atlanta hate where they live, they hate being associated with Atlanta. Ausitnites are proud of their city and love being there. For a cultural similarity to New Orleans, you'll want to pick Austin. Wish I were still there myself...

Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 AM

355 posts, read 923,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
If you are from New Orleans, I think you will like its twin sister Austin better
I am so NOT getting the Austin/New Orleans similarity thing...I can't think of anything that's similar about them, other than "live" music, I guess.

OP, I moved to Austin from Manhattan over a decade ago, and it was quite a jolt. I have NOT lived in ATL, but had a friend who lived there for years, so I've visited.

Considering all your variables, I'd pick ATL. Why? It's cosmopolitan (Austin is not), more diverse, better restaurants, bigger airport with easier travel, more direct (and cheaper!) flights, FAR better shopping, closer to your parents, closer to ocean & mountains, closer to make jaunts to other cities, say NYC for a weekend.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the SUPER young demographic. If you want to date and possibly marry, I'm guessing that ATL would provide a lot more opportunity for that to happen. If you were 28, then Austin might be a good option for you, but 38 in this town is...uhh, let's just say there's not much going on in the way of nightlife or a dating scene.

Oh, and there's NO good pizza or bagels here!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
I am so NOT getting the Austin/New Orleans similarity thing...I can't think of anything that's similar about them, other than "live" music, I guess.

OP, I moved to Austin from Manhattan over a decade ago, and it was quite a jolt. I have NOT lived in ATL, but had a friend who lived there for years, so I've visited.

Considering all your variables, I'd pick ATL. Why? It's cosmopolitan (Austin is not), more diverse, better restaurants, bigger airport with easier travel, more direct (and cheaper!) flights, FAR better shopping, closer to your parents, closer to ocean & mountains, closer to make jaunts to other cities, say NYC for a weekend.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the SUPER young demographic. If you want to date and possibly marry, I'm guessing that ATL would provide a lot more opportunity for that to happen. If you were 28, then Austin might be a good option for you, but 38 in this town is...uhh, let's just say there's not much going on in the way of nightlife or a dating scene.

Oh, and there's NO good pizza or bagels here!
I would pick Atlanta myself. But where have you been to get pizza in Austin? Of course Austin won't be as good as NYC but it's pretty silly to say that there is NO good pizza here at all.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
So, this would be a three-year-old thread you're responding to . Just sayin'.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
According to her location, she ended up living in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin