Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM

33 posts, read 121,297 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find anything negative about the area. Does anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Um...."CEDAR" Park. And there you go. But seriously you'll find it everywhere, but I mean dang. If you get it bad, why would you put yourself into the middle of it. Other than that...nothing really, unless you're gonna work in far S. Austin.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
It used to be considered (still is by some) "way out there", but now there are farther burbs. A lot of that was because main access was limited to HWY 183, which back in the day was a nightmare full of lights, construction, and endless traffic. Now you still have the traffic, but it's all big open highway (and part toll) all the way through Cedar Park.

Also, it's a bedroom community -- it doesn't have the major employers in it like Round Rock or Austin. So, everyone commutes... and as mentioned, if you are commuting to somewhere south of the river, it can be a really nasty trip.

Finally, it's got more than it's fair share of cookie-cutter subdivisions. That would really apply to any burb that's been mostly built out during the 90's and 00's, though. So not really a drawback to Cedar Park only.

Other than those things, it's good -- it's got a little bit of hills, plenty of trees in places, great schools, and close to Lake Travis.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Cedar Park is a great place to raise a family and keeps adding more conveniences.

I guess for some people the fact that it doesn't really have any night life could be considered a "bad". I wouldn't really recommend it to somebody who is 22 and single. They would at least have to head into North Austin to get to any real clubs or bars. I also agree that traffic getting into Austin could be considered a "bad" for some people, but with the addition of the toll road even that can somewhat be avoided.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
Default Depends what you're looking for.

Cedar Park opted out of paying Capital Metro taxes (diverting it to roads instead), so your only options to catch a bus are park-and-rides in Leander or North Austin.

If you work in the area, and are looking for typical boring, car-dependent suburbia with toll roads, it may be what you're looking for.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wood View Post
Cedar Park opted out of paying Capital Metro taxes (diverting it to roads instead), so your only options to catch a bus are park-and-rides in Leander or North Austin.

If you work in the area, and are looking for typical boring, car-dependent suburbia with toll roads, it may be what you're looking for.
Which I think is good, considering that the subdivisions are set pretty far from the main roads and getting to the buses would really be a pain. The park-n-ride train stations aren't far.

I personally think that bus systems outside of the densely populated cities are mostly unused. I do think park-n-ride locations do work though. I'd rather ride my bike to work than drive.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,764 times
If you're moving to Austin because you like the Austin vibe, you are going to lose this by moving to the suburbs. If you would like a suburban, safe, community-minded city with good schools, then Cedar Park is for you! Certainly you can find those things in the city, don't get me wrong. We chose to go to South Austin because we just love Austin, the quirkiness, music/art scene, etc., but we couldn't afford to live centrally.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 AM

33 posts, read 121,297 times
Thanks everyone! It sounds good to me. We have small kids. and generally don't care about "night life". So would the commute to central Austin be bad for work?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
im considering Cedar Park and Leander, which will be on the light rail line for my commute into downtown

Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyer77 View Post
Thanks everyone! It sounds good to me. We have small kids. and generally don't care about "night life". So would the commute to central Austin be bad for work?
So did you get a job downtown? If not, you don't have to assume that any job you get will be in central Austin b/c there are plenty of places to work that are located elsewhere. Just FYI. It seems a lot of newcomers think we all commute central when this just isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin