Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times

Advertisements

Having never been there can someone tell me what the area around St Edwards is like as far as housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
The area just north of the University has 1950s and 1960s era houses, many brick, mostly one story ranch but a few other styles mixed in, fairly flat lots, sizable lots for the area but under a quarter acre. Some duplexes mixed in, a few brand new houses that have replaced tear-downs, some heavily remodeled houses. Very close to Travis Heights but much more affordable, it is a small area.

What else do you want to know?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 AM

What is the area called with those homes? Or is it if I drive/walk directly north of the campus I would find them? Also, what about price? Is this area part of central Austin? I'm not suppose to keep looking for a home until we get there soon but I can't help myself so I'm still looking and driving myself insane.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Stop!! Really. Being here will make such a difference. Houses that look perfect on line, you will immediately rule out, and areas you never considered will appeal.

But yes, it is central austin, 78704 zip, the street names in that area tend to have a "Robin Hood" theme: Friar Tuck, Sherwood Forest. On a map, St. Edwards Dr would be the southern boundary, Oltorf the north, I-35 to the east, Congress Ave to the west, north of Oltorf is Travis Heights. I want to say that the original name on the plat would be something like "Sherwood Oaks" but I don't know for sure.

Price: maybe $250K for something that has no remodeling done, $350-400 for a good size house updated, and above that for new.

Are schools an issue for you?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 AM

Yes, schools are important. We're looking at elementary and middle for right now. We are used to small rural schools that teach the test. I'm not saying that is what we want; just saying that is where we're at. I've checked into some private schools but financially it's pretty much a moot point. We are involved with the children and their school work and they are very disciplined in this area. The children excel at learning. They love to learn. They are great readers! I suppose I'm overwhelmed with the whole school issue. I know one thing for sure: I don't want them to attend a school where Lord of the Flies, or Catcher in the Rye is banned.

The bottom line is there are so many variables concerning their schooling that I feel completely overwhelmed and incapable of finding the "right" school district. Currently they are in a small rural environment. I suppose part of my problem is I do not come from a place where we critically looked at schools. It wasn't part of my life. Actually, it wasn't until I was much older that I even realized people did that. (I don't mind admitting my ignorance) So, while I'm suppose to be looking for the "best" school I find myself not having the right resources to know what IS the "best" school. And, I know this...it isn't the one with all the money. It isn't unlike many other people trying to find what is best for their children but confined to this bottom line: the best school will be where we can afford to buy a home. In other words, in the world I live in...the first question isn't generally "what is the best school"? It's, "where can we afford to live?"

Lastly, I like salvage yards. And let me tell you why: I have gone to many a salvage yard where I paid less than half of what it would cost me new. We are a throw away society and I've said this in a post I was able to edit, (you can edit in the first 60 seconds after typing): I can't wait to get there and drive by on garbage day...it must be a proverbial treasure trove. Sorry, I divert.

And, you're right central...I need to stop. I will tomorrow.

I don't think we can afford sherwood forest...wow, what would robin say?

Ok, I got it...you have to edit it all after you type it all out. Ugh, what a drag. The things I learn...

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 02-19-2009 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: because I can

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 232,328 times
I go to St. Edwards and have been looking at houses in that area as well. The area right around the college are older homes and truthfully not the most prettiest area .However, I found some newly built developments down a few blocks form the school. 78704 is a huge zip code and the areas in that zip code vary greatly which i found house hunting. There are nicer areas such as barton hills, travis heights and some other good areas. It all pretty much depends on your price range. Is there a reason you want to be right around St. Edwards?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 AM

We live near a University. I have noticed around Universities there are neighborhoods with nice lots, nice homes, quiet neighborhoods; all within walking distance to the University. Then, surrounding that area are apartments and such for students. I was wondering about the area around St. Edwards because I'm wondering if there are homes with nice size lots in quiet neighborhoods. Thank you for the responses.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We live near a University. I have noticed around Universities there are neighborhoods with nice lots, nice homes, quiet neighborhoods; all within walking distance to the University.
I think you are overgeneralizing in a big way here. Have you ever been to USC or Columbia University? Where I went to school, the University of Washington, there was no way one could categorize that area as quiet. You shouldn't make a housing decision like this on assumptions and relying on online resources. Are you moving to Austin for a job or something? Because if you've never been here, it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to move here. Don't get me wrong, I really like Austin, but moving here without having experiencing it first hand just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We live near a University. I have noticed around Universities there are neighborhoods with nice lots, nice homes, quiet neighborhoods; all within walking distance to the University. Then, surrounding that area are apartments and such for students. I was wondering about the area around St. Edwards because I'm wondering if there are homes with nice size lots in quiet neighborhoods. Thank you for the responses.
This is true of Southwestern University in Georgetown, minus the apartments for students since most of them live in dorms or on-campus apartments. Hmmm, another area for a home search

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM

will not do search
will not do search
will not do search

Well, maybe later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin