Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 AM

409 posts, read 873,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Apparently the HEB folks saw a big Sushi market in Dripping Springs.
http://images.quickblogcast.com/7/6/...ya650.jpg?a=56
And I wonder why.

The times I went there, there were these 3 guys hard at work, utterly focused on making the suski. And none of the customers showed any interest in it. I go there early in morning so maybe its too early?

Given the lack of fast food resturants in the area, I would have thought hot prepared foods were a better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

326 posts, read 824,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
And I wonder why.

The times I went there, there were these 3 guys hard at work, utterly focused on making the suski. And none of the customers showed any interest in it. I go there early in morning so maybe its too early?

Given the lack of fast food resturants in the area, I would have thought hot prepared foods were a better bet.
or a cup of coffee! that's why i like the central market bit inside the heb - it's a cafe to sit at before shopping.

the sushi bit is very strange and it can't be cheap to hire sushi chefs...

Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
And I wonder why.
The store is a square peg in a round hole. They should rip it down and do it over

Even though I'm 5 miles from the Dripping Springs store, I'll continue going to the Lakeway HEB & Central Market on West Gate.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedogatemyhomework View Post
or a cup of coffee! that's why i like the central market bit inside the heb - it's a cafe to sit at before shopping.

the sushi bit is very strange and it can't be cheap to hire sushi chefs...
But it is cheap to be able to sell about 12 sushi pieces with about .50c of rice and $1.50 worth of fish for $12. Of course you actually have to be able to sell the stuff. But HEB has them I'm sure because of the sky high margins.
The one near me in the HEB had the nerve to sell fish less 'tempuri' rolls for $10. The ingredients cost .50c max. Quite a racket thing is you have to have enough trendies to purchase the overpriced stuff.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:48 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
But it is cheap to be able to sell about 12 sushi pieces with about .50c of rice and $1.50 worth of fish for $12. Of course you actually have to be able to sell the stuff. But HEB has them I'm sure because of the sky high margins.
The one near me in the HEB had the nerve to sell fish less 'tempuri' rolls for $10. The ingredients cost .50c max. Quite a racket thing is you have to have enough trendies to purchase the overpriced stuff.
Just so you know that is in line with restaurant food costs, e.g. the $6 bloomin' onion at Outback has less than a buck in ingredients.

The other things that "non-trendies" have to remember is the Sushi doesn't have a long shelf life, which increase costs. Also that it might involve a little more skill to make than it takes to make a whatburger.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Just so you know that is in line with restaurant food costs, e.g. the $6 bloomin' onion at Outback has less than a buck in ingredients.

The other things that "non-trendies" have to remember is the Sushi doesn't have a long shelf life, which increase costs. Also that it might involve a little more skill to make than it takes to make a whatburger.
It takes a lot of skill to make a California roll? As for the bloomin onion I just paid $1.49 for a large sweet onion at HEB so maybe you're quoting wholesale prices?
I dont have anything against sushi but the HEB sushi is short on fish and big on rice and frankly seems like a racket to me.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
What won't y'all argue about? I suppose I should direct that statement to myself too. Something about this board just brings out the argumentative side of people.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM

112 posts, read 485,037 times
Major let down. HEB really had a chance to make a great store- they failed. I will keep shopping @ the HEB in Circle C.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennibc View Post
what won't y'all argue about? I suppose i should direct that statement to myself too. Something about this board just brings out the argumentative side of people.
It does not!!!!!

Last edited by Paulmmm; 08-10-2010 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwherman512 View Post
Major let down. HEB really had a chance to make a great store- they failed. I will keep shopping @ the HEB in Circle C.
Wow, tough crowd. I like the Circle C HEB best myself too. But except for the head scratching Sushi Bar, I don't see anything wrong with the Dripping Springs one. No bulk items sure but I buy mine from the Central Market where hopefully the turnover is high.

But I think they missed the mark by not having some type of prepared or takeout food. Besides the typical roasted chicken of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin