Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times

Advertisements

Austin always got more than their fair share of it, per its sunbelt location and reputation for generosity, along with the word-of-mouth that local police are pretty lenient........but now I do see a lot more of it........I used to see it primarily in off-areas, median strip islands on major streets, and under overpasses, but now seems like there is far more of it DT.......I'm seeing them walk into fast food/retail now, which I haven't seen outside of Chicago/New York.....and there are motherloads of beggers all over SXSW this week-end........Have you guys noticed more of it recently, in more places?

Interesting and sad article here....sign of the times...

States cope with rising homelessness

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-21-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
There was a little blurb on the news this past week about it, saying they've handed out more citations for aggressive panhandling this year than they have in the past.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM

40 posts, read 130,890 times
Default out of steam

you seem very negative

Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
There are definitely more here than anywhere else I've lived. I usually keep some bags in my car for the ones who truly look needy. I go to Sams and get individual packs of peanuts, granola bars, socks, etc... We let the kids decorate the bags so they get to start learning about giving.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
We used to do that every Christmas - make up a bunch of bags with food (everything from cookies to cans of tuna - now they have those great little tuna lunches with cookies and fruit, should make it easier) and hand them out to panhandlers at intersections instead of money. You're right - it does teach the little ones about giving.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 03-21-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
There are increases in panhandling and homelessness in most Southern cities during difficult financial times.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorfry View Post
you seem very negative
I can't say its negative, though I hope it doesn't come across as such..I actually think its a very important problem, and one in many of our faces and lives everyday...honestly, my heart stops a bit each time I see some pour soul with a made-up sign, just hanging in there, regardless of what personal probs or addictions he/she has.......I always see a little piece of myself in those souls....I was there myself many years ago, but at least I had my car, and enough money for gas to heat the car up every so often at night......read that article ........ words can't describe what's happening to so many people around this country......this is beyond words, let alone beyond negative..........and give a little bit, even change, if you see some pour bloke or gal begging.......you'll feel better, and might get some good karma coming back again your way as well!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
There are definitely more here than anywhere else I've lived. I usually keep some bags in my car for the ones who truly look needy. I go to Sams and get individual packs of peanuts, granola bars, socks, etc... We let the kids decorate the bags so they get to start learning about giving.
CATX......very cool of you to do that.......you will definitely find blessings and good things come back big time to you for that.....and THL as well!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Austin always got more than their fair share of it, per its sunbelt location and reputation for generosity, along with the word-of-mouth that local police are pretty lenient........but now I do see a lot more of it........I used to see it primarily in off-areas, median strip islands on major streets, and under overpasses, but now seems like there is far more of it DT.......I'm seeing them walk into fast food/retail now, which I haven't seen outside of Chicago/New York.....and there are motherloads of beggers all over SXSW this week-end........Have you guys noticed more of it recently, in more places?

Interesting and sad article here....sign of the times...

States cope with rising homelessness
Honestly? No, I haven't noticed an increase. When I lived here back in the late nineties I noticed lots of homeless and when I moved back here a couple of months ago I noticed lots of homeless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin