Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM

30 posts, read 140,172 times

Advertisements

I don't think she is thinking of a flower shop. I love Seattle and their flower markets I'm in Oregon personally, but whenever we spend the weekend in Seattle, we always hit Pike Street market and my DH buys me armfuls of flowers for $40 or less. Its not just Pike Street either, I've seen them all over the place, but at least the kids get to watch the flying fish as I decide on colors. And I mean ARMFULS! Here, the tulips are coming out and I can get a bunch (meaning 20-30 buds) for $15.

I think we are moving this summer, if DH's work makes up their mind and our house sells, etc. Your write up is very helpful! I know that DH is missing his SS card, so we will be getting that as soon as possible, before we move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 PM

106 posts, read 376,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I don't think she is thinking of a flower shop. I love Seattle and their flower markets I'm in Oregon personally, but whenever we spend the weekend in Seattle, we always hit Pike Street market and my DH buys me armfuls of flowers for $40 or less. Its not just Pike Street either, I've seen them all over the place, but at least the kids get to watch the flying fish as I decide on colors. And I mean ARMFULS! Here, the tulips are coming out and I can get a bunch (meaning 20-30 buds) for $15.

I think we are moving this summer, if DH's work makes up their mind and our house sells, etc. Your write up is very helpful! I know that DH is missing his SS card, so we will be getting that as soon as possible, before we move.

Nope, no flower markets here. The flower shop I was talking about sells the flowers out of big buckets (not arrangements). The whole place feels like a freezer. They're cheaper than what you mentioned, too. Central market and HEB grocery stores, suprisingly, offer a good selection of mix and match flowers. Then again, you can just sit back and enjoy the gorgeous wildflowers that pop up everywhere and paint the highways in orange and blue in Spring.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Will the last person to leave the Pacific Northwest please turn off the lights?.....Thank you....
Well, people are still moving there. The economy is doing ok (comparatively), it's just for some of us the gray and the cost of living are just too much.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM

22 posts, read 97,361 times
Thanks for all the replies & welcomes to Austin...

Groceries: Mayhaps there's a 20% difference -- should pay closer attention. I do notice some things are dramatically less. But the deli counter & meats seem about the same. Either way, quality and selection locally sure is nice. Not to mention Central Market -- that place is a dream.

Foodie Stuff: One place I haven't found yet is a replacement for my old Cash & Carry -- my foodie destination -- it's a warehouse-type grocery that supplied foodstuffs and commercial cooking tools to local restaurants and delis. I'm sure there's something similar hereabouts, but haven't found it (looking for commercial cooking tools to pork butts)... similar to the NW Costco Business warehouse... Any help appreciated.

Anywho, thanks again y'all for all the help prior to our move. Sharing your knowledge helped a bunch.

- Stoop

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Houston has some restaurant supply warehouses and such. If you can't find it in Austin, a road trip can be done. Houston is only abt. 2.5 hrs. away. You can do it as a day trip. We do from time to time if there's something we can't find in Austin.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJarrett View Post
Nope, no flower markets here. The flower shop I was talking about sells the flowers out of big buckets (not arrangements). The whole place feels like a freezer. They're cheaper than what you mentioned, too. Central market and HEB grocery stores, suprisingly, offer a good selection of mix and match flowers. Then again, you can just sit back and enjoy the gorgeous wildflowers that pop up everywhere and paint the highways in orange and blue in Spring.
but seattle area does have the tulip festival!! It is the most beautiful site I've ever seen. Everyone should see it at least once.

The 26th Annual Skagit Valley Tulip Festival

Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I find groceries to be the same in SEA - well actually, Eastside of Seattle in Sammamish, and I primarily use Trader Joes, AmazonFresh and a QFC (like Randalls) as a last resort. I miss CM but TJ's is a must have now. Enjoy CCR stoopwallace...loved raising my babies there!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Well, people are still moving there. The economy is doing ok (comparatively), it's just for some of us the gray and the cost of living are just too much.
Seattle was the city that topped all the "Best City" surveys before Austin took that crown.......and that was for years.....from late 80's to at least 98-99........so how did that happen? If the place is so dark, dank, rainy, expensive, and unfriendly, how the heck did it rank that high for years?
Or are these people moving from the Pac NW the same people who moved TO the area because of the "best of" lists?.....or kids of people who did the same, and thing the same(next big thing, next cool "city du jour".....)?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 AM

30 posts, read 140,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Seattle was the city that topped all the "Best City" surveys before Austin took that crown.......and that was for years.....from late 80's to at least 98-99........so how did that happen? If the place is so dark, dank, rainy, expensive, and unfriendly, how the heck did it rank that high for years?
Or are these people moving from the Pac NW the same people who moved TO the area because of the "best of" lists?.....or kids of people who did the same, and thing the same(next big thing, next cool "city du jour".....)?
Seattle is a very cool city still. Housing is expensive. Personally, I love the rain. I love the drizzle. Its one of the things that worries me about moving to Austin. Coffee is amazing in Seattle and its everywhere. The sound is amazing. What made it especially attractive was the technology jobs, Microsoft, etc. Now those all seem to be moving to Austin. As for those who simply move from city to city, I think its a natural progression. People did not settle in Oregon/Washington/California by accident or by whim. California Gold Rush sound familiar? How about the Oregon Trail with the promise of free land when you arrived? Streams full of fish, forests full of game? America was settled by people who wanted to try something new in the "New World". Kind of funny, but my grandmother was born and spent several years growing up in Texas. Her family moved to Washington to pick apples. I was born and raised here, as were my parents. I never expected to leave, but things happen and I guess I get to try something new and exciting.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I have some friends that are probably going to pack up and move to Portland later this summer. He has some pseudo-seriouos issues with too much sun in his past, and she used to live up there and loves it. Both are eminently employable and/or self employeed, so jobs really aren't a huge issue. Economy is not bad, either. He has an architectural background and really likes the livability of Portland, too.

Assuming you do not have issues along the lines of SAD, then the PNW can be a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin