Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times

Advertisements

One of my resolutions, now that I've moved back to Texas, is to become fluent in Spanish.

But how?

I guess there are classes at ACC, but can anyone suggest other ways? Perhaps less boring ways? After all, it's more than studying grammar and memorizing vocabulary: it's practice, practice, practice!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM

27 posts, read 163,103 times
There is AISD Murchison Community School.

I took beginner conversational Spanish I there sometime back. It was pretty good, I learnt more than I thought I would. And once you have a base I guess it easier to build on through books, book on CD etc.
It was fun too, though that would depend on your teacher, classmates. Give it a try; you can always drop it after one class if you don't like it.

I think even Round Rock ISD offers classes like that.

That was my resolution too after I moved to Austin. Have faced several situations where my knowledge of Spanish would have helped. Good luck

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
thanks for the tip about Murchison Commuity school -- I hadn't been aware of it.

That could be weird: studying Spanish in my old Jr. High... hope there are no other flashbacks to the 1970s...

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM

18 posts, read 67,908 times
As a former high school Spanish teacher I agree practice makes perfect! Something to check out if you just want to practice speaking Spanish is meetup.com. There are Spanish conversation groups in Austin and Pflugerville where people get together who are learning or already know Spanish to converse in Espanol.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
Hi,

I know this is from a while back, but I was in the same position recently (looking for Spanish classes...) and I did find a few places, so I thought I'd add my opinion.

After some trial and error, I found a fun place to take Spanish, without the headache of "homework". It's a center called Freestyle Language Center and they're central (8th and Rio Grande area) so pretty easy to get to. I've already taken two classes with them and have had a great experience.

Here's the website for anyone interested: [url=http://freestylelanguagecenter.com/]Freestyle Language Center- Austin, TX Freestyle Language Center[/url]

I know they also have French and Italian, and I've taken a few "fun" classes there.

Hoped that helped someone! Gracias!
-Cooper

Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Learn Spanish in Mexico - San Miguel de Allende - Academia Hispano Americana

Quote:
Established in 1959, we are proud to be the first Spanish Language school in San Miguel de Allende to specialize in teaching Spanish as a second language.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,531 times
some more ideas:

Spanish conversation practice at Austin Public Library downtown Practiquemos Español | City of Austin - Austin Public Library
(free)

Lots of meetups on meetup.com (English Español Conversation Club (Austin, TX) - Meetup is a good one)
(ranging from free to small donation suggested)

UT Informal Classes Continuing and Innovative Education: Continuing & Innovative Education presents Informal Classes
(cheap)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin