Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times

Advertisements

Yeah this is not a garden hose size hole. It is over an inch in diameter. Its about twice as big as the garden hose you can see in the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Thumbs up 55 gal. drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Hello All,

For a weekend project, I want to make a rain barrel collection system. I know I can buy pre-maid kits, but where is the fun in that? I have found some online, but they are expensive. There are plenty of businesses that either have to recycle or get rid of them, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase some at a decent price?

hey how are you my name is Eric i have to get rid of 26 drums 55gal if you want them but i don't know what city you live this is my email address [email]ericgarcia_16@yahoo.com[/email] thank you.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Here's a good resource on rainwater collection in general: a book called Rainwater Collection for the Mechanically Challenged. It contains a lot more information than you need just for just yard irrigation, but it contains things about that, too. It's published by a company called Tank Town, which is in Dripping Springs. Tank Town - Rainwater Collection Since 1994. I've never even been there, but there's the reference. They appear to have a lot of stuff for DIY type applications and problem solving.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
here's a cool site. We're just now looking at them. I've been here two months now and I can see how much rain I get just from putting buckets out.

Rain Barrels | Rain Barrel Water Savers, Diverters, and Planters

Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
here's a cool site. We're just now looking at them. I've been here two months now and I can see how much rain I get just from putting buckets out.

Rain Barrels | Rain Barrel Water Savers, Diverters, and Planters
Those are nice systems, but fyi I built my barrel for about $40. So, if you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can save a lot of cash.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I'm wondering why a typical large plastic trash can with a lid couldn't easily be adapted for rain catching purposes. It would be simple enough to install plastic plumbing fittings in these.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm wondering why a typical large plastic trash can with a lid couldn't easily be adapted for rain catching purposes. It would be simple enough to install plastic plumbing fittings in these.
Well, I'm going to buy a cheap garbage can and call it my rain barrel. I might go hog wild and purchase the tin/steel ones. There is a place the rain seems to fall off the roof and there won't be a problem filling it. Maybe I can talk my SO to mickey-mouse it.

I had to laugh this past week when I kept hearing this TING, TING, TING, TING, coming from the side of the house. I figured the neighbor was doing something in the garage. However, it seemed whatever I thought they were doing they were going to do it all day. So I went outdoors and looked to the side of the house. Condensation drips from the air conditioner and I saw one of the children had put a pie tin underneath it. That was funny.

Now I'm wondering how to do a makeshift compost bin.

I'm getting back to the swing of things. I even bought some grass-seed and some soil. Ugh, the fact that I had to buy soil was so depressing but I do believe I'm going to need it. It's pretty sticky soil we have here; I need something to lighten it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin