Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

For a weekend project, I want to make a rain barrel collection system. I know I can buy pre-maid kits, but where is the fun in that? I have found some online, but they are expensive. There are plenty of businesses that either have to recycle or get rid of them, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase some at a decent price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Be very careful getting recycled barrels, as you don't know for sure what was in them and whether it is all gone. That said, there are some places you can get them from, I just don't remember the names . We got some back from a small manufacturing facility off of Krammer many years back, but my memory is no where near good enough to remember more than that....

Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
I have to agree on the 'origin' of the barrels...ours was 'food grade' since it was originally used to ship olives from Europe. I believe many of the materials used for non-food-grade barrels can leach into the water and make it unsafe for plants. Not sure how you can check on any given barrel, trash can or other container.

While we're on the subject, the spigots on our barrel are placed one directly above the other...we would use the higher placement if the watering can or vessel is too tall to fit under the lower spigot but the alignment makes it a little tricky to fit a can underneath the upper spigot with the lower spigot in the way(that may be the worst sentence I've ever constructed). In other words, the barrel needs to be high enough to use just the lower spigot position OR the spigots should be offset so one is not in the way of the other. Lower position=faster flow, easier emptying of barrel BUT the spigot must be high enough to place vessel underneath. IF using a garden hose, prepare to wait a LOOOONNGG time...good for soaking but not filling.

Make sure your barrel 'foundation' is sturdy...you are looking at 400+ lbs of water when the barrel is near capacity.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The City of Austin has rain barrel rebates available and a list of suppliers here:

City of Austin - Rainbarrel Sales and Rebates

Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
We bought ours on the east side of South 1st street just before you get to Slaughter. This was in 1999 so they may not be there any more.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The City of Austin has rain barrel rebates available and a list of suppliers here:

City of Austin - Rainbarrel Sales and Rebates
I live in Pflugerville so I do not qualify. Pflugerville does have pre-made rain barrels for sale, but where is the fun in that

Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM

I will also be looking for food grade barrels. Im going to call a few places and see if I can find some for sale or free.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
There are several folk offering barrels (both plastic and metal type) on Craigslist. You will have to call to find out what their source is and if they are acceptable for your use.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 65,012 times
I bought several at Lowe's. They are fairly low-profile and already have the connections for overflow and a garden hose at the bottom. I think I paid $89 per each for 55 gallon container.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIgrad View Post
I bought several at Lowe's. They are fairly low-profile and already have the connections for overflow and a garden hose at the bottom. I think I paid $89 per each for 55 gallon container.
I found some on craigslist for $20 a piece. I want to custom build them, so I didn't want an assembled system Where is the fun in that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin