Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM

312 posts, read 797,918 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm the guy who was thinking about moving to Austin to be close to my 13-year-old son who lives in Hutto. I'm still thinking about it, but not so quick now to leave Phoenix, AZ and my current graphic design job until I get a better sense of 1) the job market for graphic designers and 2) my prospects for opening a graphic design business in Austin - seems like there's a graphic designer on every street corner in Austin.

However, I am going full speed ahead with plans to visit my son, and this will be the period between about August 13-19. Is the fall football scrimmage for the Longhorns during those dates? And if so, any tips on gameday (how early to arrive, where to eat beforehand?) Even if the scrimmage is outside of those dates, a visit to campus is something I would like; I took my son on campus the last time I was there (mid-March) and we had a good time. (I will be taking Amtrak and renting a car for the entire time I am there.) He is a big Longhorn fan and even though he is just 13, he thinks he wants to go to UT Austin for college. Both my ex-wife and I are University of Arizona alums, that's where we met, and my son would literally not exist without our college experience, so it's important that he be exposed a little bit to campus life. His mom took him to the "Explore UT" festival they have for school kids, and he is also being homeschooled.

Are the student dining halls open to the public?

And how is UT affected by the swine flu furor? Hopefully by August it will be a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Can't tell you about the scrimmage because many are closed to the public while others are open. I guess their website would be the best info for the dates/times.

Yes, the student dining halls are open to the public. Jester's dining hall and The Union are both open as far as I know.

I don't think pig flu will be a problem by then.

Good Luck, Have Fun, & Hook'em-Class '99.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I don't think that the date for the August scrimmage has been set yet, it could fall during the period you will be in town. It is up to the coaches. Last year, they actually closed the fall orange and white game to the public but that's unusual. We try to go to both spring and fall scrimmage. The fall (August) scrimmage is usually early in the morning because it can be so hot by then.

Keep an eye on this web site, they will have scrimmage information when it gets closer:
TEXAS LONGHORNS Official Athletic Site

Here is UT's main page.
The University of Texas at Austin - Web Central
And the visitor's page
Parents & Visitors
There is a brief period of time in between the end of summer session and the beginning of the fall semester when some places that are normally open, might be closed. The Union and Jester's should always be open as will the libraries and museums. Be sure to walk around campus. You can also walk over the Texas State History Museum.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:32 PM

312 posts, read 797,918 times
We did go to the History Museum on my last visit and especially liked the theater show with the special effects (lights, booming sound effects and actual mist when they were talking about the Galveston disaster).

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM

46 posts, read 176,889 times
Most dining halls are open to the public as stated above. But try to avoid the lunch-hour rush as the dining halls get extremely busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin