Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
As to the OP, well it's fine to rant and muse about other owners parking on their own driveways but it is the owner's driveway not the observer's. Some of us happen to believe that there are fundamental inalienable rights that accompany property ownership that aren't subject to negotiation or compromise by a consensus of other private persons - majority or not.
what would those rights be? I think you are actually wrong and there arent any except the ability to sell it.

HOA's are like guns,cars, medications and chainsaws they arent inherently good or inherently bad. They are simply a tool. In most cases they work fine and are used as intended, in some cases they are used by bad people to do bad things. HOA's are effectively a smaller governmental unit than a city and Im all for people governing at the lowest level possible. Why dont you protest against cities? They put restrictions on what you can do with your property all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
I think so much has been said on this thread that it is time to put it to bed. We've now reached the point where we are comparing posters to Nazi. Clearly there are a lot of negative and HURTFUL feelings between posters. I think any fair minded individual would agree we should just back off and move on to the next subject. I will resist any further attempts to post on this thread and challenge you all to do the same. Happy New Year and Best Wishes!!!
I second this motion!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
oh we do :-) Trader Joes, Driveways, Bicycles on roads...
The Mopac

Traffic

Noise ordinances

Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,657 times
Default Baffled by parking misunderstanding.

I have a tenant who says he doesn't have to always park in the garage even though it says in his lease "Tenant agrees to park one car in the garage and guest and visitors cars in the designated parking area, to leave clear access for service vehicles and other tenants"

He seems to think that he can park in the garage when he chooses even though it says he agrees to park his one car in the garage?

I'm baffled can someone help me out here?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,657 times
By the way he's never parked in the designated area either but right in front of his garage door.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidredhouse View Post
I have a tenant who says he doesn't have to always park in the garage even though it says in his lease "Tenant agrees to park one car in the garage and guest and visitors cars in the designated parking area, to leave clear access for service vehicles and other tenants"

He seems to think that he can park in the garage when he chooses even though it says he agrees to park his one car in the garage?

You should start a new thread. Your issue doesn't pertain to the OP.

If you are a landlord, who specified in his lease where a tenant must park, then you should penalize your tenant however is spelled out in your lease.

Send him certified letters giving him a warning. If he does not honor the terms of his lease, then do whatever you normally would do with a tenant that doesn't honor his lease.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidredhouse View Post

Just out of curiosity, what is his rationale for disregarding the provision in the lease?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 AM

99 posts, read 180,979 times
I have a friend who swore up and down that he would never buy property where HOA fees are collected. He said the same thing I am reading here, don’t tell me what I can and cant do with my land. Then he started to really pay attention. The difference between an HOA and non HOA became very apparent to him. Areas without HOA fees had junk everywhere on their property. No sense of appreciation, just a junk yard mentality. Areas with HOA fees are much cleaner and have more respectful yards and neighborhoods.
Now one thing I don’t like about the HOA is having to have your yard manicured to perfection. I can handle a brown yard, just not junk covering it.
He recently bought where there is an HOA.

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 08-19-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
I have a friend who swore up and down that he would never buy property where HOA fees are collected. He said the same thing I am reading here, don’t tell me what I can and cant do with my land. Then he started to really pay attention. The difference between an HOA and non HOA became very apparent to him. Areas without HOA fees had junk everywhere on their property. No sense of appreciation, just a junk yard mentality. Areas with HOA fees are much cleaner and have more respectful yards and neighborhoods.
Now one thing I don’t like about the HOA is having to have your yard manicured to perfection. I can handle a brown yard, just not junk covering it.
He recently bought where there is an HOA.
And this is the kind of stereotypical (and, frankly, prejudiced) attitude that scares me about HOA supporters.

I see a LOT of neighborhoods, and the above could not be further from the truth.

Are there neighborhoods where people don't care about their property (or don't have the resources to take care of it once they've got it)? Absolutely.

Does not having an HOA mean it's even probable that the above will be the case in a neighborhood. Not on your life.

One thing I have just realized, though, thinking about it in the light of the original topic, is that neighborhoods where the cars are always hidden away behind closed garage doors also seem to have fewer people out and about in the neighborhood, whereas those where the cars are parked in the driveway tend to have people out in their yards, kids playing, people visiting with the neighbors, mowing the lawn, going for a walk - life is visible rather than hidden away behind closed doors just like the vehicles. Interesting - I'm going to have to observe and see if what I'm remembering seeing matches what I'm seeing when I'm paying close attention.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM

65 posts, read 189,148 times
I saw a house for sale and in the listing description it highlighted the fact there was no HOA, then said you can park your RV in your yard if you want...lol Guess the listing agent thought you can do whatever you want simply because you don't have an hoa...lol

My neighborhood doesn't have an HOA, and it is very tidy, and the round rock police enforce the city ordinances around here pretty well... I walk around our neighborhood all the time and we don't have cars all over the street, but does seem like everyone parks in the driveway and not their garage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin