Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Isn't this thread similar to a "which way to hang the toilet paper" argument? Pointless...
Yeah, been when you are bored for a few minutes, it is fun to be silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Obviously from this thread my people would rather not live someplace that looks so busy with several cars parked in every driveway. If you are selling your house and most of your neighbors have cars in their driveways when people who do not like to see that look at your house they will pass. 25-50% of potential buyers are cut out before even entering the house. There is now less demand for your house. While you could get several offers from people who don't mind the cars you could get none and have lost out on several who do mind them.

Theft is a huge reason to park in the garage.

Number of times my car has been broken into in my driveway: 2

Number of times my car has been broken into in my garage: 0

I am so glad I have the garage to keep all my cars in now.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but if the people are that hung up about something trivial like cars being parked in the driveway vs. the garage, my opinion is, go on keep driving. I can't and will not brow beat my neighbors into conforming to personal ideals. There are people who post in the thread about how it bothers them, and there are many people who don't care. Either way, both are a small sampling of the buying public. Many of the prep your house to sell websites do not mention putting your car in the driveway as a plus to selling the home.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM

288 posts, read 717,228 times
I chose to live in an HOA community because they restrict street parking. I enjoy having the streets clear. I like things neat and tidy.

However, I am nostalgic and think it would be neat to live in NYC or other large city where parking on the street is allowed and the homes are scrunched together with families having large Sunday meals together.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
People park their cars in the driveway & on the street because they have too much crap and too many cars.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Isn't this thread similar to a "which way to hang the toilet paper" argument? Pointless...
Everyone knows there is only one correct way to hang the toilet paper!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Everyone knows there is only one correct way to hang the toilet paper!

Got that right!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Everyone knows a garage is where you put your junk.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Everyone knows a garage is where you put your junk.
Dictionary.com
Quote:
ga·rage   
[guh-rahzh, -rahj or, especially Brit., gar-ij, -ahzh] Show IPA
noun, verb, -raged, -rag·ing.
–noun
1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles.
2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
And then there's this one:

garage

Definition

The floor on the north side of the NYSE's main floor.

Wonder if they keep vehicles or junk there?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times
Last time I just into this thread... I can maybe- maybe- see in neighborhood with lots of trees and a street that curves but in the new neighborhood where the streets are straight and the garages are all located in the front you then see nothing but cars when you look down the street. The driveways are shorter too so some of the cars stick out onto the sidewalk and it is difficult to walk around especially with dogs and a stroller. I remember looking at Steiner Ranch when we first moved here and just seeing a whole street of cars- everywhere. My husband and I were immediately turned off. In central Austin I tend to notice less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin