Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Eh, run over the cones, it is obviously debris that ended up on the street .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The one thing that REALLY bugs me is when a neighbor gets testy when you or your guests park on the street in front of their house....
I had the opposite of that happen to me once; I live near a middle school and they were having a meet one Saturday. I was out front mowing and a guy parked in front of my house. As he exited the car, he asked me if it was ok that he park there. I was like "of course, knock yourself out!"

Damn friendly Texans.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
If I really had to get honest about driveways I would have to admit that I'm as anal as those I accuse. Right now we have a horseshoe driveway and when the guy down the street has his garage sale I used to park our cars at both entrances to our driveway. That's pretty bad. Cars pulling in and out was driving me crazy, (they were using our driveway to turn around). In all reality I'm not so sure how I'm going to handle subdivision living. I haven't lived next door to anyone close in almost 20 years. I'm going to go insane. I even have no trespassing signs on our land. Not only that but I crank up the stereo. That's going to have to stop too. It's going to be dreadful.

So, in all my jest about others...it's really me that is the problem. I am very territorial, I love privacy, and really...I'm not so crazy about people. I'm not so sure this is going to end well. What if I turn into that person shaking their fist in the air on the front porch yelling at people who might step on the grass? I dunno...the whole prospect is scary.

I believe it's best if I don't think about it. Thinking about it might lead me to sit here staring at the computer screen frozen from fear for the rest of the day. Someone will have to pry me from my chair when the movers get here.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-05-2009 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: I like to edit

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Well, I admittedly get testy because I have neighbors with an RV perma-parked in front of their yard and then people who frequently park directly across from my driveway... When people park in front of my little patch of yard, it makes it very difficult to get out.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 AM

170 posts, read 598,676 times
I don't care if a car is parked in the garage or driveway, but I do appreciate a little consideration. Don't block the sidewalk, and use some judgment when you have to park in the street. I've spent hours jogging through our current neighborhood and have noticed the same few people who just don't seem to care. Makes pushing the jogging stroller quite a chore at times.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I don't have a preference of whether a car is parked in the garage or driveway because that is up to the homeowner but I don't understand how some homeowners park their cars day in and day out on the street and have a empty garage and/or driveway.
What I've noticed is so many subdivisions have cars parked in the street. It's dangerous when kids are playing and traffic gets kind of tight when two cars in opposite directions are trying to get through a street that has cars parked in each side.
I do like the older homes that have the garages in the back of the homeowners lot so you can still park in the driveway 2 or 3 cars and use the garage as a storage unit, place to set up hobby shop, etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find it odd that anyone would care whether someone parked their car in the garage or in the driveway on their own property (with the obvious exception of someone parking a nonrunning vehicle permanently in the driveway and never washing it. If it's washed and looks like it was driven, big whoop.

So, for me, the real question is, for those for whom this is an issue, why do you care?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
I park in my driveway because we have a long winding driveway leading to a detached garage toward the rear of the property. From there, you go down a pathway (with several steps) to get to the back door. I come and go a lot during the day so it's easier to park int he driveway and go in the front door. It's also a lot easier to get my 2 year old twins in that way.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Again, I get pet peeves about: uncut grass, broken-down car in the driveway, trash in the driveway/front lawn, overly loud dogs, toys all over the front lawn, etc...

As well as: talking in the movies, rude drivers, rude people, serial killers, taxes, the war in Iraq, corporations, etc...

But cars in the driveway? IT'S A DRIVEWAY! FOR CARS!

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands or kind of sad lives to let something like a car in the driveway get them bent out of shape.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
lol readymade, thanks for the laugh. I dunno...I went from thinking about garages to not being able to move now. Something has got to change. Perhaps a break from the forums would work...but that's just great...now I'm addicted to the city-data forums. Oh god.

maybe they're hiding a serial killer in the garage

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: ahhhh, bold letters :) I'm easily amused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin