Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

326 posts, read 764,671 times

Advertisements

My kids need to stat to take SAT prep courses soon (hopefully this summer). A google came up with so many places. Does anyone have recommendations on some good courses/teachers? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 74,098 times
Well,

I actually took one a year and a half ago from Sylvan, and it was the biggest waste of 900 my parents have ever spent on me.

The class was once a week up to the test, and was pretty pricey for what it was. They gave all of us workbooks and we would go sit for 3 hours doing problems out of workbooks. The timeframe for the class ended before we finished our books.. and so they pulled us each aside to tell us we wouldnt be able to come back the following week. I ended up finishing my reading/writing workbook, but only got half way on my math. Sure enough, I struggled on the math portion of the SAT.

Well, long story short, I wouldnt take a class from them. You are probably best off going with a not so big/well known place like sylvan.

Best of luck to you though.. Luckily, my gpa was what got my into the school of my choice, not my SAT score.

-D

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
I really like College Nannies and Tutors. Very flexible, personable and well prepared tutors. They're on Far West across from Doss. College Nannies & Tutors - Texas

Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,518 times
you can take a simple one at acc and then use a private tutor for the areas of concern

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 AM

326 posts, read 764,671 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. The kids are ok in what they suppose to know. But they need a structured setting for them to go over the test material and get used to the test format.

ACC plus a tutor is a great idea. But ACC doesn't have any evening or weekend classes. I don't trust the kids doing the online version, because they are not as disciplined as we would like them to be.

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,558 times
I would try House of Tutors. The owners are amazing and will really do anything to fit your needs. The class size is small and they even do individualized study. Great quality for the price. I think it's around $550 for 25 hours of instruction and they have intensive classes too.

I hope this helps!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM

116 posts, read 362,341 times
I took one from princeton review a few years back. At the time it was 1100 dollars. It helped me a lot. The class was 3 times a week at a hotel in Round Rock. Each Saturday morning we took a full length practice SAT. We spent a lot of time learning how to take the test and strategies, etc. It improved my SAT score by several hundred points.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
just search sat prep into google and you'll get dozens of very good test prep services online. I think the online versions are better than the local places.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,162 times
Just curious, what program did you end of selecting? I'm looking right now for the same thing for my daughter!! Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
I'm starting my kids NOW to prepare for the SAT, they're in 6th & 7th grade.

I found some stuff online for free, an SAT question of the day. We do one question per day, usually we discuss it over dinner. I've found it takes about 15 minutes. I pre-screen the questions so they truly aren't out of their range. We get used to the logic of the test in a low-key way.

Also, I found an SAT ocabulary word list, just a list. We do 1-2 words a day. simple, just write it on a flash card, see the word, say the word, spell the word (although spelling isn't a part of the SAT its a useful learning tool). Then I have my kids look up the definition and use it in a sentence. They keep a notebook, periodically review their words. I figure we have at least 3 years before test time, and I fully intend to get formal coaching for them, but its never too soon.

Don't let anyone give your kids the advice I was given (seems to be standard advicd from school counselors) "The SAT sn't something you can study for. You've been preparing for it all your school life. Just get a good night's sleep" What baloney!

First, school counselors won't suggest coaching, because they can't recommend any particular course, etc. And you can study for the test. I went into the SAT cold, and got 780 verbal, because I'd studied 4 years of Latin, along with Spanish and French. What I didn't know I could "feel" my way through. But my math scores were dismal. Although I had a fair grip on math, I didn't get their testing format, blew half it off. My scores and GPA were still high enough for me to get into the college of my choice (University of Michigan), so nothing lost. But today its so much more competetive. That test matters, don't let anyone lead you into thinking it doesn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin