Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
What do you think this guy is?

I also found this in my tree!
I'm certainly no snake expert, but this look like a snake that decided to come into my living room last summer. he didn't have a rattle, but the pattern looked suspicious. He was "side-winding" going right for my 10 year old son! I distracted the snake, told my son to run get daddy's shovel from the garage, and proceeded to make snake jelly out of the damned thing. Later I was told its probably not poisonous, but no damned snake threatens my little boy! I think our cats bring snakes in, but usually garter sankes, plain gray with a cream colored underbelly. This guy had too much pattern for me. Plus it was side winding right at me--met his match!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM

I've also killed trauntualas with my trusty shovel, crawling right up the outside wall! I understand they look worse than they are. But also found a black widow spider in the bathtub, rather samll, less than an inch, but quite disctintive, with the classic red hour-glass on its belly. I made short work of it, too. Its my home and my kids, I defend against damned things like that!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Marylee, when I move down there and if I find any suspicious critters...I just want to know if you are for hire for search and destroy missions?

Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Marylee, that looks like a rat snake. Does look like a rattler in markings, and if it feels threatened, even though it doesn't have a rattle it will "rattle" the end of its tail in leaves (or against the side of a metal chicken coop) in hopes that between the coloration and the sound whatever it feels threatened by will think it's a rattler and run away. Doesn't work so well when what it's afraid of turns out to believe it and be armed AND in a small chicken coop with it. They do go up in trees, too. Never had one in the house - mostly they're after the eggs in the coop, but they do (along with all the cats) keep the rodent problem down admirably.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Marylee, when I move down there and if I find any suspicious critters...I just want to know if you are for hire for search and destroy missions?

The only good snake is a dead snake....but me and my trusty shovel aren't for hire. I'm deathly afraid of snakes, but don't threaten my kids, then...I know no fear!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Marylee, I am no expert, but I believe you had a gopher snake. It is harmless. Because Texas is home to many snakes, it would be good for all of us to know what the dangerous ones look like. There is no way that the snake in the pictures has the head of a rattler, and it doesn't look at all like a sidewinder, either. My advice is to get ahold of a field guide so that you and your son can start to get familiar with the snakes in your neighborhood. Maybe that way, you can pass along to your son a healthy respect for snakes, rather than terror. They are, afterall, Texans too.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Rat snake. Harmless unless you're a rat or a chicken or an egg (or something similar).

Austin Reptile Service is great for identifying various snakes (and other critters) in this area (lots of photos).

Old 03-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks, TexasHorseLady. You are absolutely right about that being a rat snake. The guide I was using (Peterson's Western Reptiles and Amphibians) only has a green rat snake, which is solid green. It is always better to use a local guidebook, if you can find one.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 AM

P.S. to TexasHorseLady - thanks for that reference to Austin Reptile Service. I had a gread time looking at their web site!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Default life style changes

Hello,

I am wondering how I will have to alter my behavior to keep bug free in Austin. Living in Wisconsin everything dies for half the year and they really aren't an issue. I currently rinse the dishes so-so before putting them in the dishwasher and run the washer once a week. Would this habit be a bug magnet. I guess leaving dishes for the next morning after a dinner party is not an option either. Do people eat only in the kitchen to avoid crumbs in the livingroom? Any former Northerners have any bits of advice?

Megan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin