Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM

25 posts, read 114,632 times

Advertisements

If this article by InsideTech is to be believed (Top 25 Cities for Tech Jobs - InsideTech.com), then four of the top ten cities for tech jobs are in TX - Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

Having never lived in TX, but having heard people roll their eyes about this bastion of conservatism (and being a liberal myself) - how does TX do it? Sure, it attracts big businesses with the low taxes and other incentives - but there must be something they are doing right? CA - that bastion of liberalism - is not doing so hot right now.

Or am I thinking about all this wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Texas overall is pretty conservative, but I wouldn't call it a bastion of conservatism. Austin would be your best bet for a more conservative liberal POV, but Dallas can be a little harsh and Houston even more. Texas while still being blue, isn't so navy blue anymore, but more of a columbia blue, and in fact will probably be a purple state in the next 10 years.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Texas overall is pretty conservative, but I wouldn't call it a bastion of conservatism. Austin would be your best bet for a more conservative liberal POV, but Dallas can be a little harsh and Houston even more. Texas while still being blue, isn't so navy blue anymore, but more of a columbia blue, and in fact will probably be a purple state in the next 10 years.
Do you have your colors mixed up? Last time I checked, Texas is a ripe tomato red with the exception of some bruises around Austin, Houston, and the valley.

If we do turn more purple, it will be due to Hispanics and the Democrat's ability to maintain their favor.

Anyways, I think Texas, compared to many states, is VERY business friendly. Plus we have a major energy sector that just keeps getting away with the raping of the rest of the nation.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Anyways, I think Texas, compared to many states, is VERY business friendly.
Not so much. Maybe in comparison to other states, but not notable in its own right. I can think of at least one tax on business that, from what I hear, is nothing more than just reaching into the pocket of businesses.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
The lower house in the Texas legislature is evenly divided - the Texas Senate is slightly GOP majority. Texas had a Democratic Governor/Legislature for most of it's history. It's not that we are "red" or "blue" -- we have been both and will change from one to the other as needed. Basically, we are more "independent" than anything else.

The rest is just rhetoric ... keep in mind, Bush is from Texas, therefore - Texas must be a "bad" place. Texas created more jobs in 2008 than ALL other states combined. The legislature just passed a bill (by 180 to 1) that raises the limit on tax exemptions for small business from $300,000 net to 1 million net. Other states are punishing business, we try to make it easier for them to stay in business.

The real secret may be that Texas only allows their CongressCritters to meet every two years and limits them to 140 consecutive days to get their business done ... this tends to limit the harm they can do to us and forces them to go back to their districts and explain their actions.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The real secret may be that Texas only allows their CongressCritters to meet every two years and limits them to 140 consecutive days to get their business done ... this tends to limit the harm they can do to us and forces them to go back to their districts and explain their actions.
I believe there is something to this. When government gets out of the way and lets people make their own decisions regarding both fiscal and social matters, people are more productive and happier. If the rest of the country wants to judge the political climate backwards here, they are free to judge away as we keep our jobs, homes, and savings in tact.

BTW, red=conservative and blue=liberal.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Do you have your colors mixed up? Last time I checked, Texas is a ripe tomato red with the exception of some bruises around Austin, Houston, and the valley.
Don't believe the hype. It will be a purplish color in the next 10 years. All that means is that more so than now, both sides will be equally screwing us instead of a tit-for-tat we have now.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I think Texans, all things considered, simply want less of the government than most places. That means we're far less likely to overspend like California. Individual freedom is very important to most Texans. I think we are less sympathetic to people who fail in whatever they do - so we are less likely to prop them up.

As mentioned already - our legislature is limited. So we don't have politicians that constantly dream of laws they can pass.

Texas has been through booms and busts - and reacted to it better than other states. Some geography works in our favor - land is still not as precious as it is in many places.

We also seem to be far less concerned with the latest and greatest - which I think is a big deal to California and New York.

My biggest fear is that the continuous influx of people will cause legislative changes to make Texas more like other states.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Spoken like a true conservative. You're as red as that ripe tomato I spoke of earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Don't believe the hype. It will be a purplish color in the next 10 years. All that means is that more so than now, both sides will be equally screwing us instead of a tit-for-tat we have now.
Hype?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, I agree with huffdano. We have very limited social services and social spending in texas. It is a hell of a place to be a poor person. That is why we rank near the bottom in so many measures of social development.

Our low tax burden gives us some clear advantages in attracting businesses but in a global interconnected world, many of those companies can pack up and leave if the tax abatements and incentives are greater somewhere else. We just lost a solar company to New Mexico.

If we can't keep, maintain, and create highly educated people, then our advantage will diminish, and companies (high tech and others) will migrate away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin