Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

Why is it that all homes in Austin seem to need stone or brick on the exterior? Is there some problem with siding, stucco, wood shingles, etc.? I lived in a house (years ago) in Austin that was stucco. And in east Texas I lived in a house with siding. I don't remember a stigma being attached to either, but it seems that now there is. Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Why is it that all homes in Austin seem to need stone or brick on the exterior? Is there some problem with siding, stucco, wood shingles, etc.? I lived in a house (years ago) in Austin that was stucco. And in east Texas I lived in a house with siding. I don't remember a stigma being attached to either, but it seems that now there is. Any insights?
Well, for one thing stone and/or brick is cheaper to insure, presumably because of fire danger. And homeowners insurance is a big deal in Texas.

Another reason is that siding is cheap. People associate it with cheaply built homes. That's why you'll see homes marketed with "X sides brick/stone"... they are considered higher quality and cheaper to insure the less siding you have. I understand that there are older homes and custom homes of very high quality with wood siding, and in other cities these homes may be more common so there is no stigma... but here in Austin, much of the housing is new and builder-grade. Hence the stigma of cheap siding.

I don't know enough about stucco to comment on it, but I don't think it's very common around here.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 AM

34 posts, read 101,477 times
As someone who is from the NE, I know I'll be thrilled to get away from siding and it's equivalent. Every new home around here is built w/mostly siding, maybe a few accent areas of stone if you are really lucky, and then they slap on a $600K (or more!) tag on it. Plus $20K or so in annual taxes, just to make it super affordable!

Again, thanks for everyone's input. I will most certainly consider the advice of all, but I know it just comes down to individual preference and curb appeal. I find many of the homes in TX to be striking, regardless of whether they are in new or established communities, so I'm sure that will be the easiest part of my decision! it's funny, if you asked me in the past to conjure up my dream home, it would be a stucco home w/a spanish tile roof. I was convinced that was perfect for me. During my past few trips out to TX though, I was just floored by the exterior beauty of the homes, and how many different materials were incorporated to create these homes w/such visual interest! Oh, I can't wait to come down there for good!!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Brick and stone are very low maintenance, hard to damage and fireproof. The mass in the walls also cuts down on the outside noise that can penetrate the wall. siding, stucco and wood shingles all require maintenance and repair.

I just spent $4,000 replacing rotting wood, cleaning and repainting a house with hardboard siding and wood trim, have had to do that about every 10-15 years, it just doesn't hold up. The hardboard siding starts to disintegrate, delaminate when the paint gets old and moisture gets through it. Especially along the bottom edges where rain and lawn sprinklers wet it.

I have built one building with a stucco exterior and found the material easy to damage from a ladder leaned against it, and it has to be repainted periodically.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Stucco is VERY common, but only in the higher price ranges. With the heat and humidity of the area, you're really supposed to paint stucco every 4-5 years, and many homeowners in the lower price ranges can't afford that so brick and stone is a better alternative for them.

In my neighborhood, over half the homes have stucco, and it's becoming an acquired taste. The builder "accidently" put stucco on my house, though it's probably 80% brick, and I'm looking at it as a free upgrade since all the other buyers had to pay for it.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny15602 View Post
Around here, it's important to have an attic fan to draw the heat out of the attic. Is that something that you can/should do in TX too?
Attic fans are fairly common in older homes. I can't say I've ever seen one in a home newer than the 1950's.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM

34 posts, read 101,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Attic fans are fairly common in older homes. I can't say I've ever seen one in a home newer than the 1950's.
Thanks for the FI - I'll let hubby know that we won't need that. I suspected as much, assuming that the barrier is more important, but whenhe gets something in his head....

Old 06-04-2009, 10:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
Coming from CA I will be more than happy to leave my stucco home behind due to painting. Painting can be really expensive, and so stone seems a lot more maintenance free. I will say though that I really dislike red brick homes. While looking for homes in Austin we only look for Austin stone. I guess never having grown up in an area with brick homes, the red brick just looks very dated to me. It's a good thing we don't all have the same taste, it would be a very boring otherwise.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Coming from CA I will be more than happy to leave my stucco home behind due to painting. Painting can be really expensive, and so stone seems a lot more maintenance free. I will say though that I really dislike red brick homes. While looking for homes in Austin we only look for Austin stone. I guess never having grown up in an area with brick homes, the red brick just looks very dated to me. It's a good thing we don't all have the same taste, it would be a very boring otherwise.
It's very interesting that some on this board think red brick looks dated, because I'd always thought it was the most classic of building materials as it seems to have withstood the test of time. I've seen it on homes built in the 20, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and we are in the process of buying a house built in 2000 with you guessed it, red brick. So unless you mean "It's so 20th century" I don't understand how people think it it's dated.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It's very interesting that some on this board think red brick looks dated, because I'd always thought it was the most classic of building materials as it seems to have withstood the test of time. I've seen it on homes built in the 20, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and we are in the process of buying a house built in 2000 with you guessed it, red brick. So unless you mean "It's so 20th century" I don't understand how people think it it's dated.
For me it is a combination of red brick, arched windows, double-high entry, and peaked roof that seems very dated to me. And specifically in Austin. I guess it is because I live central and very rarely see red brick, so I associate it with the big 90s building boom in Round Rock etc.

But there certainly seems to be a steady appetite for it, so i am probably the outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin