Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

I agree with CaptnRn on the sidewalk riding. I also ride sidewalks when available. I just make double extra sure there are no cars nearby before I cross the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM

412 posts, read 1,751,961 times
The bicyclist in Austin just drove me crazy (when I lived there). I mean I see the issue is that the person drove off but seriously, 2am downtown? Drivers should have the right of way like they do in Italy. I swear if they did that in Austin there would be not bicyclist hit because they would be to afraid to risk it. And I thought riding your bike on the sidewalk was illegal?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I don't care, I'm not putting my bike into a busy roadway.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
The bicyclist in Austin just drove me crazy (when I lived there). I mean I see the issue is that the person drove off but seriously, 2am downtown? Drivers should have the right of way like they do in Italy. I swear if they did that in Austin there would be not bicyclist hit because they would be to afraid to risk it. And I thought riding your bike on the sidewalk was illegal?
The issue here is a hit and run. Period. It's wrong and the driver of that cab should be prosecuted. Blaming the victim's choices (riding a bike in the street at night) is like blaming a rape victim for dressing sexy and acting flirtatious. It's tacky.

I live close to the city and enjoy late night rides. I like to ride my bike instead of driving 2 miles and finding a parking spot. That's kind of the point to living close to a city, don't you think? And since most of the busses stop running after midnight, that rules out public transportation. I wear lights and follow traffic laws. I have a right to enjoy Austin any time I want without being run over and left to die unattended.

I understand many people's frustration with rogue bikers. It frustrates me when they ride with a moral superiority and ignore traffic laws. That's why Austin needs(and is hopefully getting) better, safer bike infrastructure in the CBD and surrounding areas. It will encourage more people to use bikes as transportation which will improve the collaboration between autos and bikes. It's just a great way to get around.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:
Why should I not be allowed to ride my bike when it isn't daylight? I don't think I want to model our traffic model after Italy, the ride vespas everywhere and it is dangerous to walk there.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:

NO IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK , READ MY PREVIOUS POST HERE! //www.city-data.com/forum/9558921-post15.html

Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I always thought it was common knowledge that riding on the sidewalk was more dangerous than riding in the street... ? At least, that was what I was always told. Cars aren't expecting you crossing driveways, business entrances/exits, etc. And how many people stop to check for moving vehicles 8 feet from the end of their driveway? Cause that is about where the sidewalk is...

It's similar to how many of those cyclists died on 360: It doesn't happen at intersections, but at the road access/exit points. Some studies say it you are up to twice as likely to get into an accident riding on the sidewalk:

Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

Certainly you are many,many times more likely to get into a pedestrian-cyclist accident on a sidewalk. Auto-cyclist accidents, maybe twice as likely? It's difficult to say. Sidewalk riding is probably OK for the kids in a quiet, low-traffic neighborhood street.. but elsewhere, you may be putting yourself at greater risk than you realize.
That website article you quote is by Michael Bluejay, who looks to be an absolute wacko. He is a self appointed expert on everything, with practically no credentials that I can see. His article on bicycle safety even recommends that riders violate the Texas law requiring them to ride as close to the curb as practicable and suggests instead that they "take the lane". That is a practice that induces road rage in automobile drivers.

Just because some wacko wrote it on the internet doesn't make it good advice. Thanks I will stick to the sidewalk.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Bicycles are good for the body and good for the enviroment. One day fossil fuels will be gone and then you will have the cyclist perspective.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That website article you quote is by Michael Bluejay, who looks to be an absolute wacko. He is a self appointed expert on everything, with practically no credentials that I can see.
I disagree. His article is supported by fact, and includes very sound advice such as:

* Ride as if you were invisible. Never assume the cars will see you.
* Avoid riding too close to parked cars, in case their doors open
* Always use proper lighting at night, and wear reflective clothing even during the day
* Don't pull up on the right next to a car at the stoplight. Stay behind the car to avoid their blind spot
* Ride on wide streets
* Ride on slow streets
* Avoid busy streets

... yeah, that sounds like some nutjob.

Quote:
His article on bicycle safety even recommends that riders violate the Texas law requiring them to ride as close to the curb as practicable and suggests instead that they "take the lane". That is a practice that induces road rage in automobile drivers.
There is no excuse for road rage, period. It's an ugly manifestation of our "victim" mentality these days: someone slow gets in front of you, or breaks a traffic rule, and all of the sudden people think they need to teach someone a lesson. It's a bad state of affairs.

Quote:
Just because some wacko wrote it on the internet doesn't make it good advice. Thanks I will stick to the sidewalk.
Well, just be careful out there if you ride the sidewalk. Anecdotal evidence and the sense of comfort people may feel riding the sidewalk aside, it is very dangerous.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Actually, I've driven in Rome (worse than riding a bike there), and despite the chaotic look they are pretty good drivers. Aggressive, yes, but much more skilled and they do have a "code" for sharing the road with bikes and scooters.

For one thing, you've got to be at least 18 and pass an actual driving test to drive there. Also, it's much more expensive to own a car, so people who do are a bit more financially responsible. Finally, cell phone use is banned in cars.

Personally, I think I'd feel safer sharing the road with a typical Italian driver than I would with some 16 year old HS student yapping on their cell phone or an uninsured illegal alien... both of which are pretty common around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin