Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,598,630 times

Advertisements

People in the United States, and particularly in Texas, do learn history still.
4th and 7th Grades are Texas History, which is just as important and relevant as American history.
5th, 8th, and 11th grades are United States history, and it's taught just as thoroughly here as anywhere else.
6th and 10th grades are World History.
9th grade is World Geography, which I think is completely unnecessary to teach seperately from World History, and ought to be used for a year of Texas History at the high school level.
12th grade is US Government/Civics and Economics, teaching students how the free enterprise system works and how our government works and how to be responsible citizens.

The Pledge of Allegiance is useful in teaching civic values at a young age--patriotism, loyalty, and the fact that we are "one nation indivisible," regardless of whether you believe in the God that has been added into that phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,992,231 times
There's a time and place for the national anthem, though I wish ours were more singable (I'd prefer America the Beautiful). Actually, I think the national anthem is overused in the US and Canada -- I don't believe it belongs at sporting events, where I think its use cheapens it. The flag and the national anthem are like sacraments -- they are outward and visible symbols of an inward reality. They shouldn't be bandied about willy nilly, but reserved for occasions when they are treated with proper solemnity and gravity (IMO). Until my late teens or early twenties the Stars and Stripes was not used as an advertising feature by MacDonalds and car dealerships. When I was a kid it was to be taken in at night and in inclement weather. Now the flag is flown promiscuously and capriciously. I don't think that increases the value of the symbol.

And the flag pledge was originally written for use by schoolchildren, but I don't think that its routine, daily use is a particularly good thing. It teaches a childish form of patriotism that I might liken to the kind of theological understanding that a 5 year old might have.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 AM

434 posts, read 1,081,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Do you think every country who recites a pledge or sings an anthem is following something that is total crap and a waste of time, and if so, why? If not, then why is it great for them and ours is crap?
"... every country who recites a pledge or sings an anthem is following something that is total crap and a waste of time ..."

poorly phrased

Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
4th and 7th Grades are Texas History, which is just as important and relevant as American history.
5th, 8th, and 11th grades are United States history, and it's taught just as thoroughly here as anywhere else.
9th grade is World Geography, which I think is completely unnecessary to teach seperately from World History, and ought to be used for a year of Texas History at the high school level.
12th grade is US Government/Civics and Economics, teaching students how the free enterprise system works and how our government works and how to be responsible citizens.

The Pledge of Allegiance is useful in teaching civic values at a young age--patriotism, loyalty, and the fact that we are "one nation indivisible," regardless of whether you believe in the God that has been added into that phrase.
you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,968 times
Quote:

Considering that most American students do very poorly on world geography compared to other nationalities, I would keep geography. One year of Texas history is plenty. What other state devotes one year of state history, let alone two? Does anyone know?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Considering that most American students do very poorly on world geography compared to other nationalities, I would keep geography. One year of Texas history is plenty. What other state devotes one year of state history, let alone two? Does anyone know?
What other states have a history as worthy of studying as ours?

We actually fought for our freedom before we even were part of the United States. We were an independent democratic republic. We were the largest state for a hundred and fourteen years. We have the most diverse landscape and one of the most diverse peoples.

I think Texas History is absolutely worthy of being studied.

Besides, why does the geopgrahy of the World really matter? I know what a fjord is but I've never had any need for that information. However, the history of Texas surrounds me all the time.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about!!!!!!!!
Care to explain? My information is absolutely factually correct and if you had gone to school here and been raised here you would understand that.

So I don't really know how I don't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about because I am telling you FACTS. An interesting concept, isn't it, rather than just stating our opinion as what is correct.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Care to explain?
NO.

Quote:
My information is absolutely factually correct
NO. It's neither factual nor correct.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
NO.

NO. It's neither factual nor correct.
You obviosly know absolutely nothing about education in Texas, because my information is factually correct and is the LAW in this state.

However, feel free to say whatever you want, just know that you will be wrong.

EDIT:
4th Grade TEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teks4.htm (broken link)
5th Grade TEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teks5.htm (broken link)
6th Grade TEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teks6.htm (broken link)
7th Grade TEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teks7.htm (broken link)
8th Grade TEKS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teks8.htm (broken link)
TEKS World Geography: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teksworldgeo.htm (broken link)
TEKS World History: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teksworldhist.htm (broken link)
TEKS United States History: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teksushist.htm (broken link)
TEKS United States Government: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teksgov.htm (broken link)
TEKS Economics: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ssc/teks_and_taas/teks/teksecon.htm (broken link)

This is the actual Essential Knowledge and Skills for social studies in Texas schools. If you know how to read, you shall see that I am both factual and correct.

Last edited by theloneranger; 07-11-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Proof of Texas social studies curriculum

Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You obviosly know absolutely nothing about education in Texas, because my information is factually correct and is the LAW in this state.

However, feel free to say whatever you want, just know that you will be wrong.
If you are a typical product of Texas education, then I'm not thrilled with the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: