Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

I've already responded to the trails thing and I agree, I wish ours was better but I know it will be eventually.

The amphitheatre....I believe that Dell Diamond has been stepping in a bit and in addition to the baseball games they have been having concerts/festivals and even some regional things like the kids resale events and such. It would be nice to have a seperate venue however.

The library...I'll have to look at Austin's site but I imagine that our library has comparable things. I know RR library does.

History park...Agreed. That park puts ours to shame. It would be cool to have something on that scale here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I've already responded to the trails thing and I agree, I wish ours was better but I know it will be eventually.

The amphitheatre....I believe that Dell Diamond has been stepping in a bit and in addition to the baseball games they have been having concerts/festivals and even some regional things like the kids resale events and such. It would be nice to have a seperate venue however.

The library...I'll have to look at Austin's site but I imagine that our library has comparable things. I know RR library does.

History park...Agreed. That park puts ours to shame. It would be cool to have something on that scale here.
LR, I just think of what COULD be here...and get sad....such a huge bunch of intelligent people out here deserve better......If I had the power here, you would see a model city the envy of the nation.....that's what Austin should/could be......I'll have to run for mayor after Leffingwell's first term or something...
and shake endowments out of the rich folks butts.....get people hyped and excited...get urban transit moving, and the train from Leander(train to nowhere)
fixed......and on and on......so much to do and change!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
The trail we came from was over 30 miles long and absolutely beautiful, and paved, AND maintained. Too bad it was mostly used in the warmer months, (which were few). If there ever was a bandwagon I'd like to get on it's the trail one. One of the things our old trail did was have benches. You could donate X amount of money and have a bench put in with a little sign on it. Most were in memory of someone. With over 30 miles of trail the benches were a nice break.

The only sad thing about the trail was they used an old train track route which meant the train no longer ran. I'm for trains as well so that left me feeling mixed. Which leads me to stray here and say it would be nice if the metro came out this far so we could go downtown. (i love trains)

I also would like to add we finally ventured out to Fritz park, (Hutto) which is a wonderful area and the path is definitely a good start! The play area has a huge canvas over it so children won't get burned from the sun. What a wonderful area for small children. I saw a few mom's out there with toddlers. Mine were rollerblading. We had fun and it felt good to have some energy. We're slowly feeling more balanced.

The move really threw me off in a tail spin. Nice to feel my feet are on the ground again. Gah, I don't want to move again for awhile!

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 07-16-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The trail we came from was over 30 miles long and absolutely beautiful, and paved, AND maintained. Too bad it was mostly used in the warmer months, (which were few). If there ever was a bandwagon I'd like to get on it's the trail one. One of the things our old trail did was have benches. You could donate X amount of money and have a bench put in with a little sign on it. Most were in memory of someone. With over 30 miles of trail the benches were a nice break.

The only sad thing about the trail was they used an old train track route which meant the train no longer ran. I'm for trains as well so that left me feeling mixed. Which leads me to stray here and say it would be nice if the metro came out this far so we could go downtown. (i love trains)

I also would like to add we finally ventured out to Fritz park, (Hutto) which is a wonderful area and the path is definitely a good start! The play area has a huge canvas over it so children won't get burned from the sun. What a wonderful area for small children. I saw a few mom's out there with toddlers. Mine were rollerblading. We had fun and it felt good to have some energy. We're slowly feeling more balanced.

The move really threw me off in a tail spin. Nice to feel my feet are on the ground again. Gah, I don't want to move again for awhile!
Old Pots..I notice that these trails always start small...one town lays down a mile or so...another does 6 miles down...the inbetween area gets eminent domained with a regional agreement, and then you have 6-9 miles of track....at least Hutto started something.......all dreams have to start somewhere to make them happen, even if piecemeal....that Monon trail one in Indianapolis was VERY piecemeal at first, and took 15 years to connect/buy out the whole thing.......same with the Mopac train...at least they are actually building something..Austin just lacks a strong regional authority with the teeth to supercede a multitude of town councils.....
I'm not saying do like this city does, and it has plenty of faults, but just glance over this greater metro transit entity in the Chicago Metro..

Metra General Information (http://metrarail.com/general.html - broken link)

If Chicago's metro had no Metra, they would never build out anything at all.....we need something of that nature in Austin, so that Leander debacle doesn't happen again...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots, you might want to head up to Georgetown to check out the Goodwater Trail. It's about 26 miles and you can do all or part.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots, you might want to head up to Georgetown to check out the Goodwater Trail. It's about 26 miles and you can do all or part.

Thank you again! We will!! You have been very helpful with links. While I realize I can find things on my own it certainly does help to have a bit of direction and focus. There are so many things to do when one moves having this forum really does take some of the stress off. You are very helpful.

We look forward to going to Goodwater Trail!! I can't wait!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Sounds like an interesting HIKING trail....though it says bikes are prohibited....so obviously something akin to what you'd find in a state park......actually, you can hike state roadsides in the boonies as well, or blaze your OWN trail in out-of-way areas....if you are just looking to hike per walking, there are a few great walking/hiking trails south of Austin as well....

My query was simply to do with paved bike trails in the northern Austin burbs.....and still no sign of that yet....

Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Isn't the Old Settlers Park a bike trail too?

We're looking for a nice walking trail for now.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I believe Goodwater Trail is also a biking trail (though not, perhaps, a road biking trail) - at least, these folks think so (http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/lgt/index.asp - broken link).

Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I believe Goodwater Trail is also a biking trail (though not, perhaps, a road biking trail) - at least, these folks think so (http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/lgt/index.asp - broken link).
Per that site:

"The trail is rocky and changes up quite often, from dirt and rock to rock and rock. There is not a lot of climbing, most of the climbs are short, but there were a few that really made me wheeze. The technical level varies from medium to mildly difficult"

So if you have some killer shocks and balloon tires, and a good helmet/kneepads, sounds like a plan..though you would have to "Bike Portage" a whole lot of the way......mildly difficult doesn't sound like the family friendly bike trails that Williamson County should have plenty of right now...a sin that one that connects RR and CP isn't there....the sad thing is it COULD be, but no one gives a damn enough to demand and create/donate one......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin