Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 27,195 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating to Austin from Massachusetts, and while originally we thought commute wouldn't be an issue for us (both were planning to telecommute) it seems like my husband may be working downtown (Congress St.).

One of our goals is to have a short commute time for him -- 30 minutes or less (currently we both commute 1.5 hours each way to Boston and are weary of it). Right now, our family time is too limited so we'd like a more manageable work day -- with my husband likely to start his work day at 8 a.m. and try to leave close to 5.

We also want a community that's family oriented with excellent elementary schools (we have a 1 and 3 year old) and good resale potential. Our strong preference is new construction and our budget is $600,000 (for a 4 bedroom).

Is this possible? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Hi there,

I think your requirements are definitely doable, but the one factor that complicates it is wanting new construction. I'd guess to have a 30 minute or less commute to downtown at 8 a.m. AND get new construction, you'd probably have to focus on the SW part of town and maybe into Dripping Springs??

If you didn't need a new build you'd have quite a ew more options in different parts of town!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 27,195 times
Thanks, Gigi. If we decided to forego new construction and look for newer resales, what areas might you recommend?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 21,934 times
The problem you are going to run into, which a lot of people don't consider when discussing commute times is that commuting at 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. dramatically increases commute time due to rush hour traffic. People speak of commute time in terms of least possible time it takes to get where you are going during ideal conditions, but that is simply not realistic. For example, driving from Dripping, as the above poster suggests, at 8:00 will take you far more than 30 minutes. Bottom line is, you can get the short commute, but you will probably have to up your cost to $750K or settle for a house less than 2800 sq. feet. Or the other option is that your husband commutes at 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., but it sounds like that is not an option. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 AM

I apologize if my earlier post wasn't as clear as I wanted. I wasn't actually trying to say that the commute would always be 30 minutes from that part of town; I was more saying that for what she's looking for, that's probably the closest area to downtown that has new construction. You're right, in traffic it may be longer, but I know several of the folks who post frequently on here who live in SW say it's shorter to downtown from there than anywhere else.

Last edited by gigi927; 04-20-2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: omission

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
For the record, as of 4-18-07

I live in Highpointe, about 4 miles east of dripping springs off the 290. I work downtown off 11th street.

Leave at to work: Taking 290w to Loop 1 N, off at Cesar Chavez
6:00am - 30min commute
6:30am - 30min commute
6:45am - 35min commute
7:00am - 45-55min commute
8:00am - 50-60min commute
9:00am - 35-45min commute

Come home from work: Taking 35 S at 11th to 290W
3:00pm - 30min commute
4:00pm - 40-50min commute
5:00pm - 45-55+min commute
6:00pm - 45-55+min commute
7:00pm - 40-50min commute
8:00pm - 35-40min commute

These times are sure to change as the many new subdivisions and road construction continues.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,747 times
Thumbs up Also from Boston

Hi there,
We did the same thing only in late 1999, moved from Boston.
We had 2 hour commute in Boston, back then, and could no longer take it!

My wife also got a job on congress st. We ended up in Driftwood, and in 1999 you could do the Austin commute in 35 min most days. Its closer to 45 min now, and one crash will turn it into an hour.

From the sounds of it, if I were you guys I would try Circle C Ranch in the SW. We have friends who do the commute to congress in 20 min some days, and rarely longer than 45. Also loads of people from the northeast in there.
Also Cali and the UK amongst others, loads of kids, exemplary schools, etc.

New construction also springing up all up and down fm1826 now, some larger acreage stuff, etc. Might try Rimrock Ranch. Dripping springs is also really nice, but I think the traffic is going to build really quick over the next few years there.

I think you'll both love and hate Austin traffic.
Youll love the way people are so courteous, waving you in to traffic is so common and pleasant, much less stress.
The down side, Austin was never meant to be a BIG city and the planning seems to reflect this. Theres no loop road, lots of major highways join other ones with streetlights!?! There are no cloverleafs, just this weird system of access roads, lights and 4way stops, very inefficient IMHO.

Still from a stress point of view, its night and day, get a coffee and you'll have a really pleasant ride in. I must say, the nicest drivers I have ever been with!
G

Old 04-28-2007, 02:07 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meded View Post
We're considering relocating to Austin from Massachusetts, and while originally we thought commute wouldn't be an issue for us (both were planning to telecommute) it seems like my husband may be working downtown (Congress St.).

One of our goals is to have a short commute time for him -- 30 minutes or less (currently we both commute 1.5 hours each way to Boston and are weary of it). Right now, our family time is too limited so we'd like a more manageable work day -- with my husband likely to start his work day at 8 a.m. and try to leave close to 5.

We also want a community that's family oriented with excellent elementary schools (we have a 1 and 3 year old) and good resale potential. Our strong preference is new construction and our budget is $600,000 (for a 4 bedroom).

Is this possible? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
I live in the great hills area, there are a lot of new houses and 600K will get you a really nice house in this area (prices are about 120-200/sq ft). Even during rush hour, the commute is about 30 minutes to downtown and is about 15 minutes during normal times.

Our house is probably sitting around 485K for 2800 sq ft. and we are in one of the more expensive areas of great hills.

look at:
arbor at great hills
dominion at great hills
reserve at great hills
great hills

Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Austin97, is there any new construction left in Great Hills? I didn't think there was, but wanted to ask (OP said she preferred new construction....)

Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 25,188 times
Default 30 minute commute

I don't know where new construction is available, but I do know Dripping Springs. It's about 15 minutes from southwest Austin (Oak Hill area) when it's not rush hour and probaby 15 to 20 minutes to downtown. But BEWARE of the traffic where 71 and 290 split at the Y in Oak Hill. It backs up horribly during rush hour. I know I used to live in that area. Both Oak Hill and Dripping Springs.

However, Dripping Spring is a very nice small "bedroom community" with an excellent school system and friendly folk. Austin school district is not the best. However, some schools in Austin are ok. Eanes School district is a seperate school district in the middle of Austin but it's in a VERY expensive neighborhood.

You definately want to stay away from travelling on Interstate 35. It's a snails pace. Mopac or Loop I isn't great, but not as bad as 35.

The majority of new homes are being built north of Austin in Round Rock and surrounding areas. New toll road are being put in which will allow bypassing Interstate 35. Housing in Round Rock and much less expensive than in Austin or in Dripping Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin