Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,743 times

Advertisements

and a few other items to boot...free computers for Austin kids, free internet access in Austin, and recycling of your old one...

for kids in austin..
The HeliOS Project: Free computers for austin kids

Free internet access in Austin
City of Austin - Free Access to the Internet

Trashing an old computer? This place recycles free in Austin
http://reconnectpartnership.com/locations.php?zip=78748

Helpful hints for getting cheap/free computers

"Serviceable computers are available at flea markets and yard sales for under a hundred bucks. I got one for twenty bucks at a flea market. Check out the want ads in your local paper. Good advice in general, that one. Schools and government offices upgrade huge batches at once and hold semi-regular auctions. Ask around or go to the reference desk at your local public library and just ask.
Another tactic is to hang around on a place like Freecycle or the free section of Craigslist, where people are giving away computers all the time. If all you need is a machine capable of email/web/word processing, check curbside the night before trash pickup, preferably in clueless yuppie neighborhoods. It is absolutely appalling how many perfectly serviceable machines end up chucked out simply because they aren't top of the line anymore.Even better is to find a computer shop that going under and go trashing and see what you can find, or even ask them if they have stuff they want to get rid of for cheap.

BTW, there are 18,000+ members of Freecycle in Austin looking to give or take items for free.....incredible concept, especially for those in hard times.....
here is the local hook-up, but you have to be a member to log in....just discovered this not long ago..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AustinFreecycle/

Last edited by inthecut; 07-20-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Nearly free computers, plus lots of parts for older systems (good for fixing laptops, etc) can be found at the Goodwill Computer Store:
Goodwill Computer Works Home - we put people to work

There is also a connected Computer Museum, if you ever wanted catch a glimpse of an old minicomputer, Vic 20, TI, or other classic computer. Click on the "museum" link on the above site.

Speaking of classic stuff.. Check out Game Over Videogames at Game Over Videogames - We Buy & Sell Classic and Used Videogames! ... the Anderson Rd location has a classic game fest running all summer. Watch breakdancing and play in classic game tournaments like Pong, Joust, Mario Brothers... nothing like Pong on a 20 foot outdoor big screen!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Nearly free computers, plus lots of parts for older systems (good for fixing laptops, etc) can be found at the Goodwill Computer Store:
Goodwill Computer Works Home - we put people to work

There is also a connected Computer Museum, if you ever wanted catch a glimpse of an old minicomputer, Vic 20, TI, or other classic computer. Click on the "museum" link on the above site.

Speaking of classic stuff.. Check out Game Over Videogames at Game Over Videogames - We Buy & Sell Classic and Used Videogames! ... the Anderson Rd location has a classic game fest running all summer. Watch breakdancing and play in classic game tournaments like Pong, Joust, Mario Brothers... nothing like Pong on a 20 foot outdoor big screen!
Great links!
Now I can finally play that Sonic the Hedgehog that was in my closet for 20 years! Seriously, the Goodwill is a great option for other things as well, especially clothes, and the video game site is a great place for old classic games/cartridges.....would love to turn a spare room in my house into an Atari shrine...now I can do that with all the original stuff! Same with Intellivision and Coleco!.....

Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,560 times
Goodwill computerworks near I35 and 183 (Walmart area)

http://www.austincomputerworks.org/

Discount Electronics on Anderson Lane

http://www.discountelectronics.com/

Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I would definitely go here if I needed a cheap PC. I needed a power supply for my neighbors PC one Saturday afternoon and I called Discount Electronics and they had it in stock. I had never been before but they have CPUs stacked up all over the store for cheap.

Cool place!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
I second Discount Electronics for good, used Dell pc's. I've purchased 4 of them there.

For used Notebooks, the edge goes to Mr. Notebook for awsome support (free lifetime labor). I've purchased 2 laptops there. they don't necessarily beat everyone on price, but the support is what I value most. You can just carry your laptop in and they'll have a quick look for no charge before checking it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: