Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM

31 posts, read 134,873 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know about Austin's downtown and transit system. The tourism site, austintx.org, is great. I was considering Charlotte, Indy, Atlanta and maybe Raleigh, but Austin seems amazing. I even like San Antonio but Austin seems to offer the cultural scene I love, plus the University. San Antonio is so romantic but I'm going through a separation so not into that right now. I'm focused on our daughter right now.

Can anyone give some info on your downtown? Can you walk to shops, dining and entertainment? Do you have downtown apartments/lofts ($$-$$$?), and how is the transit when it comes to getting to all the attractions? My search for a walkable and affordable community has been tough.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfree View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to know about Austin's downtown and transit system. The tourism site, austintx.org, is great. I was considering Charlotte, Indy, Atlanta and maybe Raleigh, but Austin seems amazing. I even like San Antonio but Austin seems to offer the cultural scene I love, plus the University. San Antonio is so romantic but I'm going through a separation so not into that right now. I'm focused on our daughter right now.

Can anyone give some info on your downtown? Can you walk to shops, dining and entertainment? Do you have downtown apartments/lofts ($$-$$$?), and how is the transit when it comes to getting to all the attractions? My search for a walkable and affordable community has been tough.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Downtown is very "livable", unlike many Texas cities' downtowns. And yes, there are plenty of nice apartments/lofts in the area. Using transit anywhere outside of central Austin will be tough.

The university is great and is close to downtown and many of Austin's sights, but I'd avoid living directly west or north of campus, as those areas are packed with overpriced largely populated student housing. It wouldn't be a great place to raise young children, IMO. Plus it has less of a community feel since 90% of the population moves in/out every year or so. If you don't want real urban living but want to stay central, definitely check out the area just west of downtown (west of Lamar, east of Mopac) and immediately south of downtown and the river (aka lake).

Definitely come and visit for a week to get an idea of all the various central communities and to gauge the transit situation for yourself. If you're coming from the Chicago area, I'm afraid you might be disappointed with that particular aspect of Austin. Texas is simply a car culture.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 33,208 times
I will admit that while our public transportation system isn't fantastic it is improving. Currently we have a fairly extensive Capital Metro Bus service and a commuter train is going in that will connect downtown to parts of the East Side, the North Side, and several suburbs up north and downtown also has the dillos which are really just fake trollies that are free.

In terms of our downtown, there is of course East 6th Street and the Warehouse District if youre looknig for something to do at night and for some boutique shopping or just a trip to Whole Foods you have the 2nd Street retail district and W. 6th Street, both of which are growing. Also, in West downtown there are condos going up all over the place and in our current times many of them are at bargain prices.

If downtown is a little too hectic then I reccomend Mueller, which is fairly close and somewhat affordable but it will also be a transit oriented community when completed and the commuter rail will be going through it.

So look around and check out downtown but there is plenty to do and more and more places to live.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-02-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 PM

31 posts, read 134,873 times
Thanks everyone.

By the time I can actually move (maybe within the next year), the transit should be wonderful. I really want to live in a downtown urban environment, if affordable. I still have a year to complete my undergrad degree. Austin sounds great. I will come down to visit first. Can't wait to see all the city has to offer. Thanks so much for all the great information. I plan to look up some of the areas you mentioned.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:26 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Just as an fyi... from someone who lived in SA for 23 years (and now Austin for 3+)... SA is far from "romantic" to live in. It's romantic/great for tourist for a few days because of downtown and the riverwalk, but I would never consider it a romantic type city.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I wasn't aware that the light rail (transit rail) system was going anywhere except from downtown to Leander, not the east side or anywhere south of downtown.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I wasn't aware that the light rail (transit rail) system was going anywhere except from downtown to Leander, not the east side or anywhere south of downtown.
You are absolutely right, downtown to Leander, every 30 minutes in the morning and afternoon. The tracks do swing to the eastside, so there will be one stop at least that is east of I-35.

Its unbelievable how many people seem to envision a full blown "chicago el" or DC metro or SF BART or Atlanta's MARTA dropping into Austin.

When (if) it gets going, it will be a tiny baby step in public transportation, not a commuting solution for thousands or an easy way to get about town.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
You are absolutely right, downtown to Leander, every 30 minutes in the morning and afternoon. The tracks do swing to the eastside, so there will be one stop at least that is east of I-35.

Its unbelievable how many people seem to envision a full blown "chicago el" or DC metro or SF BART or Atlanta's MARTA dropping into Austin.

When (if) it gets going, it will be a tiny baby step in public transportation, not a commuting solution for thousands or an easy way to get about town.
That would be soooo awesome. Can you imagine the economic boost to Texas with a BART style transit system connecting SA, Houston, Austin, and DFW?

But if I had to scale it down some, it would still be awesome to have MetroRail reaching ABIA, UT campus, the Arboretum, Round Rock, the Barton Square area, and maybe La Frontera or Sunset Valley...in addition to the stops they have now.

But I'm in fantasy land right now.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

Yes not a comprehensive rail system but considering the paltry $110 million that was spent not bad.

There will be actually two stops east of 35, Saltillo Plaza and MLK.

Regarding Post 8 Sunset Valley won't be in any system because they have opted out of the CapMetro service area and just b/c they like nothing better than hoarding all the sales taxes they get from their plethora of malls.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I think the whole idea of the Metrorail starter line was just to get the trains in front of the public, with the assumption that future ballot initiatives funding rail would then easily pass... and we'd eventually get some decent rail service.

We'll see how well that works... in the meantime, the Red Line will be mostly useless. There are 2 stops in East Austin, and the Crestview and Kramer stops might have some future potential... but frequency and walkable destinations are just not there.

In the meantime, speaking of babysteps, I see that Capital Metro got $2M from the 2010 transportation appropriations bill. $2M in appropriations bill earmarked for Capital Metro - Austin Business Journal:

To put that in perspective, the current Stadler DMU railcars that CapMetro is using cost $3.6 million each. One mile of light rail can cost between $20-$60 million (source: Dallas Light Rail).

... so wohoo! way to grab that federal funding CapMetro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin