Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 PM

205 posts, read 617,498 times

Advertisements

On a whim (my husband's) we set off Saturday morning in search of the closest beach. We both suffer withdrawals if we can't breathe in the sea air and feel the sand between our toes.

I suspect my husband took us on the scenic route, as some five hours later, we finally arrived at Aransas Pass. Then another hour and a half more wait to cross to Port Aransas via ferry. We quickly found out that it wasn't a great idea arriving without reservations, it seemed everything was booked. Finally, we lucked out (if paying $200 for a room is okay with you), someone had left a day early and the next reservation wasn't beginning until the next day. Now, had we known we could stay on the beach for free - we might have brought a tent with us. However, my husband wouldn't have considered it, he wanted a private shower and a bedroom to relax in after taking in the beach experience. We did have a full kitchen, so it was back into town to buy fresh gulf shrimp; scallops and mahi for an evening meal that we are still talking about!

On the homeward return, we decided to travel along the coast line a little to explore what else there was on offer - Rockport was pretty nice and if you like antique stores and art galleries, there was plenty to see and do. At Fulton we veered off to Tivoli and across to Goliad, all the way back on the 183N.

Anyone have any other suggestions, that might be closer or a better route to travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
I like the city beach in Rockport quite a lot...it's as good as anything you'll find in that area. If you haven't been to North Padre, I'd recommend that as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Galveston is about 3.5 hours and Port A is about 3.5 - 4 hours (typically). Not sure on the ferry traffic hours, but during peak hours, you can cut across to Port A via Corpus Christi. Surf Side (also 3.5 hours or so) beach is pretty nice (relatively speaking) but I am not a surfer, so not sure on which beaches would be good.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
If you want somewhere with lots of activities, Galveston is it. Moody Gardens, the Strand, Victorian/historic home tours, etc. No ferry wait to get to this island... simply use the bridge. Much more convenient.

South Padre is probably the place to go for the best state beaches and planning for beach day only with no additional activities.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
For the amount of time you're driving, get on an airplane and be on a much nicer beach in Mexico or the Carib.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For the amount of time you're driving, get on an airplane and be on a much nicer beach in Mexico or the Carib.
Stan4, that was my sentiment exactly - it all had started on Friday actually, because hubby had taken a vacation day and I was already off.
When I checked out some of the vacation deals, we could have spent Friday/Saturday/Sunday on the beach in the Bahamas in an all-inclusive for $500. Instead, we ended up spending about the same, but less than a total of six hours on the beach and lots of driving.

Next time, I think it will be alot easier to convince him to just take a last minute flight overseas and who knows where we'll end up. That appeals alot to me. However, I did enjoy the roadtrip opportunity to discover some little talked about Texas towns. Went through Luling, and it was an interesting little town with markets. Taking the 183, there was little traffic also, so it was a pleasant (but long) drive.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Stan4, that was my sentiment exactly - it all had started on Friday actually, because hubby had taken a vacation day and I was already off.
When I checked out some of the vacation deals, we could have spent Friday/Saturday/Sunday on the beach in the Bahamas in an all-inclusive for $500. Instead, we ended up spending about the same, but less than a total of six hours on the beach and lots of driving.

Next time, I think it will be alot easier to convince him to just take a last minute flight overseas and who knows where we'll end up. That appeals alot to me. However, I did enjoy the roadtrip opportunity to discover some little talked about Texas towns. Went through Luling, and it was an interesting little town with markets. Taking the 183, there was little traffic also, so it was a pleasant (but long) drive.
The only problem with that plan, is the lack of direct flights to get to the Bahamas. I guess you could drive to Houston or Dallas and hopefully hop a flight from there to Nassau or Freeport. We have a condo in Freeport and would love to find some cheap way to get there. When I priced it out it was almost as expensive as flying down to Freeport from Toronto.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
The only problem with that plan, is the lack of direct flights to get to the Bahamas. I guess you could drive to Houston or Dallas and hopefully hop a flight from there to Nassau or Freeport. We have a condo in Freeport and would love to find some cheap way to get there. When I priced it out it was almost as expensive as flying down to Freeport from Toronto.
Correct. I always check the flights departing from Houston to wherever first; then find the cheapest connection flight from Austin to Houston - because they are not necessarily with the same airline. Works great if you have no checked baggage - just carrying light clothing in your carryon. I've learned from alot of international travel, that it can be alot cheaper to buy the major portion of the ticket separately from the domestic portion. i.e. Houston-Bahamas return; Austin-Houston return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin