Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

101 posts, read 247,807 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My hubby may have the opportunity to transfer to Round Rock in the coming months for his job. We are not strangers to moving as we have lived in Las Vegas, NW Montana, WNY and are currently living in Tucson, Arizona. However, this would be the first move with a school age child and I’m not excited about moving her during a school year but with this economy one must take the opportunities presented to them.

My hubby has been to RR a few times over the years and is a DFW native, so he is familiar with Texas. I have never been to RR before and I have several questions and concerns that he cannot seem to answer. I’ve been trying to look for the answers on these forums but I’ve noticed a lot of non-direct, round about answers not really satisfying my needs. So I figured I would put together a list of questions in hopes that I find some people out there with the answers.

We are what I would call the casual active couple, meaning we like to occasionally go out hiking, walking in the park, bowling or play miniature golf. We also like to go out to eat once a week and we love to shop. We are not theater people or concert goers, but we do like to go out as a family for special events such as The Nutcracker Ballet at Christmas, 4th of July Parades and things of that nature.

From the research I’ve done thus far on the schools, I think I’ve narrowed it down to four schools. Brushy Creek, Deep Wood, Forest Creek, Great Oaks. Our daughter is in 1st grade and doing very well in her current school. My hubby would be working near the 45 between the 35 and 130; he’d like to have a short commute since he currently commutes 45 mins. each way.

1. Which neighborhood would meet the needs of the hubby’s commute?

2. Of the above 4 schools I listed, which school would best fit the neighborhood for a short commute for the hubby?

3. Are there neighborhoods that are less pesky or less buggy?

4. Are bugs, such as: scorpions, fire ants, chiggers, etc such a problem that you can’t even sit or play on the grass in your yard?

5. Do these bug pests get into your house? I can deal with bugs if they stay outside where they belong but once they start getting in the house, my sanctuary that’s when I draw the line.

6. Are Scorpions a problem in the immediate area of Round Rock? Here in AZ we find a poisonous scorpion in our house at the very min once a week and I can’t take it anymore.

Any further information that may be beneficial to know would be great.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Last edited by Jenmar1024; 08-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM

65 posts, read 155,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My hubby may have the opportunity to transfer to Round Rock in the coming months for his job. We are not strangers to moving as we have lived in Las Vegas, NW Montana, WNY and are currently living in Tucson, Arizona. However, this would be the first move with a school age child and I’m not excited about moving her during a school year but with this economy one must take the opportunities presented to them.

My hubby has been to RR a few times over the years and is a DFW native, so he is familiar with Texas. I have never been to RR before and I have several questions and concerns that he cannot seem to answer. I’ve been trying to look for the answers on these forums but I’ve noticed a lot of non-direct, round about answers not really satisfying my needs. So I figured I would put together a list of questions in hopes that I find some people out there with the answers.

We are what I would call the casual active couple, meaning we like to occasionally go out hiking, walking in the park, bowling or play miniature golf. We also like to go out to eat once a week and we love to shop. We are not theater people or concert goers, but we do like to go out as a family for special events such as The Nutcracker Ballet at Christmas, 4th of July Parades and things of that nature.

From the research I’ve done thus far on the schools, I think I’ve narrowed it down to four schools. Brushy Creek, Deep Wood, Forest Creek, Great Oaks. Our daughter is in 1st grade and doing very well in her current school. My hubby would be working near the 45 between the 35 and 130; he’d like to have a short commute since he currently commutes 45 mins. each way.

1. Which neighborhood would meet the needs of the hubby’s commute?

2. Of the above 4 schools I listed, which school would best fit the neighborhood for a short commute for the hubby?

3. Are there neighborhoods that are less pesky or less buggy?

4. Are bugs, such as: scorpions, fire ants, chiggers, etc such a problem that you can’t even sit or play on the grass in your yard?

5. Do these bug pests get into your house? I can deal with bugs if they stay outside where they belong but once they start getting in the house, my sanctuary that’s when I draw the line.

6. Are Scorpions a problem in the immediate area of Round Rock? Here in AZ we find a poisonous scorpion in our house at the very min once a week and I can’t take it anymore.

Any further information that may be beneficial to know would be great.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.
Well I think we can work out where he's gonna be working

I moved here for the same location.

Anywhere in RR will be easy to get to said employer. 45 will be empty if you're happy to pay the toll.

If you hate bugs, then don't pick a brand new place where everything has been turned over. Get some new pest control, don't back up to greenbelt.

My first house here I backed onto Greenbelt, had a few scorpions come in, most I found were dead I guess due to the pest control (or a mass suicide). This house I'm more into a neighborhood, and I've not seen any.

Fire ants are everywhere, but just get a decent pest control service and stay on top of things.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM

65 posts, read 155,943 times
And you're really not too far from anything in Austin.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y200 View Post
Well I think we can work out where he's gonna be working

I moved here for the same location.

Anywhere in RR will be easy to get to said employer. 45 will be empty if you're happy to pay the toll.

If you hate bugs, then don't pick a brand new place where everything has been turned over. Get some new pest control, don't back up to greenbelt.

My first house here I backed onto Greenbelt, had a few scorpions come in, most I found were dead I guess due to the pest control (or a mass suicide). This house I'm more into a neighborhood, and I've not seen any.

Fire ants are everywhere, but just get a decent pest control service and stay on top of things.

shhh..it's a secret

Greenbelt? where exactly is that?

thx

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
A greenbelt is a stretch of greenery - could be small, could be huge - where there's no buildings and where things are as nature wishes them. Very desirable around here. However, since they are natural, there will be bugs.

That being said, when we lived in town, we lived right off the Barton Green Greenbelt leading down to Zilker Park, and I saw two scorpions in 8 years, both dead, both outside under rocks that I turned over. We did have fire ants, but pounding the end of a metal pole almost flat and pounding it into the fire ant bed and pouring boiling water down the pipe into the mound got them to move on.

However, we were in an area that was not newly built up. If you move into a new house in a new neighborhood that's been built in their habitat, yes, you're more likely to have bugs because they haven't figured out yet that the neighborhood has gone to heck in a handbasket and they should move on.

What price range are you looking at, what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? That would be useful information to help us direct you better.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A greenbelt is a stretch of greenery - could be small, could be huge - where there's no buildings and where things are as nature wishes them. Very desirable around here. However, since they are natural, there will be bugs.

That being said, when we lived in town, we lived right off the Barton Green Greenbelt leading down to Zilker Park, and I saw two scorpions in 8 years, both dead, both outside under rocks that I turned over. We did have fire ants, but pounding the end of a metal pole almost flat and pounding it into the fire ant bed and pouring boiling water down the pipe into the mound got them to move on.

However, we were in an area that was not newly built up. If you move into a new house in a new neighborhood that's been built in their habitat, yes, you're more likely to have bugs because they haven't figured out yet that the neighborhood has gone to heck in a handbasket and they should move on.

What price range are you looking at, what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? That would be useful information to help us direct you better.

Thanks so much for explaining the term Greenbelt, I was honestly at a loss.

I positively HATE scorpions, the ones we have here are poisonious and usually find at least 1 in the house every week. This week we have found 2 in 3 days...ugh. The builder in this develope,ent told us it usually takes about 5 years for them to get the point and move on, it's now going on 7 years and they are still coming.

I/ we want to be in an estabilshed area but where the homes have been very well maintained, it does not have to be a new home. We would like to rent a home for probably a year before deciding to buy there. We would be looking to spend $900-$1200 a month rent and would fall into the questions I have asked above regarding schools and commute time.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 PM

107 posts, read 285,402 times
Welcome to the Lone Star State and the wonderful town of Round Rock! Round Rock is a great place to live and I am sure your family will love it. You are close to so many things. Sounds like you have done your homework in looking for the right area. Isn't the internet awesome? I have lived in Texas almost my entire life. It is probably not a great thing that we have all the bugs and ants, but it isn't really that big of a problem. I have seen 2 scorpions and they really were not threatening. Fire ants usually are in huge mounds, so you can see their location. There are times of the year that it's worse than others. I think the spring time is the worst. I wish you and your family the best though, it's a wonderful time in your life. I loved it when my kids were that age.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-25-2009 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Well, scorpions certainly aren't the huge problem here that you're describing there! I've lived in Texas (East Texas, North Texas, Central Texas) my entire life (going on 60 years now), and I've probably seen less than a dozen scorpions over that time period, and most of them in my childhood.

Renting's a good idea when you're trying to learn a new area. Six months to a year usually does it, then you know your way around and what neighborhoods you do or don't want to look in.

A quick look at houses for lease on the MLS in your price range seems to indicate that Brushy Creek would be your best bet.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM

207 posts, read 858,871 times
We live a few miles down the road from this secret employer and have not seen one single scorpion in 2 years.

Fire ants are all over the place so you just have to hope to get some control on them. I treat my yard twice/year with some all-purpose bug control granules and rarely have any problems. After it rains the ant mounds will pop up but I keep some indoor/outdoor spray handy and just walk the yard and take them out. We do have a 7lb Maltipoo to protect after all.

We have had a few more spiders this year but I think that is more about the drought and them looking for water. Nothing major though and nothing I'm really worried about.

By the way, in Texas, we don't preface our highways with "the"

Old 08-25-2009, 04:22 AM

22 posts, read 62,739 times
Hi Jenmar - our family is in the exact same situation. We will be moving to RR in the next few months, renting for a while in that price range, with a 1st and 3rd grader.

Moving is a huge pain, but moving the kids during the school year only adds a whole new level of pain! It will be so hard to see them sad about leaving their friends and home. You know, we saw the movie "Shorts" over the weekend. It was filmed in the Austin area. I told the kids that this is where we are moving and it helped them get excited about the "adventure", haha!

I wish you luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin