Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the scene was filmed in "Slacker" where the guy is driving around a neighborhood and there is a loudspeaker on top of his car? I also see him pass by some little bridges it looks like. It's in the last 10 minutes of the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
I have vague recollection of working at the old phone company building at 1616 Guadalupe and having a film crew across the street at the Dog & Duck - they blocked the street between the two buildings for the day. I want to say it was "Michael" with John Travolta, but I'm only about 82% certain.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
The Ringer was filmed at Bobcat Stadium and Texas School for the Deaf. There's one scene where you can see Austin's skyline from south of the lake.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Red, White and Blue was filmed around Austin. It's a pretty intense and violent movie.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM

363 posts, read 988,798 times
Second Hand Lions with Robert Duval was filmed at a farm house in Pflugerville off Melber Ln just down the street from the Cele store. And John Travolta's Michael was filmed partly in Bastrop. In college I had a part time security gig and had to watch the Milk Bottle Hotel set in Bastrop County over night a few times.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Bernie, Linklater's latest which just opened at the Violet Crown was filmed in Bastrop. I am going to piggyback on this thread and ask if anyone here has seen it and knows where those scenes were filmed and if those places are still standing after the fire. Anyone?

BTW, it was a great film and is only in limited release.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM

75 posts, read 173,665 times
In John Travolta's Michael, the dance hall was Gruene Hall.

Dazed and Confused school is Bedichek jr. high, wm cannon and s. 1st.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I have vague recollection of working at the old phone company building at 1616 Guadalupe and having a film crew across the street at the Dog & Duck - they blocked the street between the two buildings for the day. I want to say it was "Michael" with John Travolta, but I'm only about 82% certain.
I think I can confirm this. I was a regular at the D&D during that time (long ago), and I showed up one night and the place was closed down with trashbags on the windows. I thought it was closed by the TABC or something! But the following week I learned it was closed for the film shoot for Michael. That film has many locations around the Austin area, I believe, including on Congress Ave in downtown.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone know where the scene was filmed in "Slacker" where the guy is driving around a neighborhood and there is a loudspeaker on top of his car? I also see him pass by some little bridges it looks like. It's in the last 10 minutes of the film.
Ok, I took a look at that last scene figuring I could identify the spots. You can see the whole film on youtube, but there are commercials.

From what I can see, there are at least 3 completely different locations in that loudspeaker driving scene (not including the Mt Bonnell final scene).

1st part is obviously downtown somewhere, you can tell by the one way streets and what looks like some major buildings. There are really no homes visible, and it's flat, so to me it felt like the SE side of downtown. The bridge railing is distinctive, and it's the type used for Waller Creek near Red River and 3rd just to the east of the convention center. The convention center was completed (first part) in 1992 -- and you see some construction going on there in the film. If you look at a satellite view, the CC is huge -- and when you include the hilton, parking garage expansion, etc -- obviously much of what would have been there in 1990 has been obliterated. Only the Iron Works BBQ would have been there. Some of the older buildings where Moonshine is were moved, as I recall. So they may not have been at their current locations in 1990. Still, I can't get my mind around what it looked like before the CC, so I really can't identify it for sure. But it could be from around there. Austin Convention Center, Austin, TX - Google Maps

2nd part, the front-view shots are of the car are on a very wide street, can't identify it due to the short duration... but it kind of feels like maybe Travis Heights blvd, or somewhere near there, or maybe Pemberton or even Balcones/Highland Hills.

The street from the inside of the car and the back, up until the stop sign - Bouldin Ave. The intersection is Bouldin & Annie. You can see the street sign briefly and the house/building at the T intersection is identifiable. bouldin and annie austin, tx - Google Maps. You can also recognize a couple of the homes on the east side of Bouldin. But it's tricky, looks like many have been completely redone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin