Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 40,940 times

Advertisements

Grande, Time Warner, AT&T? I live on the East side off MLK. Reading reviews online only makes all of them look pretty bad, yet I assume people are more likely to write reviews when they're extremely frustrated than when everything is A-OK. So lay it on me:

Horror stories? Customer service nightmares? Or (if it exists) decent service for a low price? Thanks in advance!

Oh, also, we're only looking for internet (no tv/phone) and doesn't need to be super fast, only reliable and fast enough to check email, watch Hulu, and occassionally download. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,393 times
Speed: If you can get actual fibre optic cable to your door then AT&T U-verse would be the fastest. Otherwise, Time-Warner is your choice for speed.

Customer Service: My guess is they are all bad. None of them want to take your call. I did get some good information last week when I called for billing information on our TW Cable but I'm still skeptical.

As to TW Cable, the menu interface is just rotten. My kingdom for Comcast Cable.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:47 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
TW is great for internet service. My internet literally never goes down with the exception of one time for about 15 minutes so I'm really pleased with it. Their tv service is a whole 'nother story - I'm with Xladylawx - it royally sucks. When I have had to deal with customer service they were friendly and as efficient as possible.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
i have ATT without U-verse, DSL, at "pro" speeds. Fast and very reliable, 5 plus years and never a single problem.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
I've heard nothing but good things about Grande.

I can't get it where I live, so it's Time Warner for me. They have been very reliable, and the speed is excellent. However, other people have had problems. I won't use AT&T because I've had terrible times with service/billing from them in the past. Their service sometimes acts like they are still the monopoly phone company of the 80's.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM

18 posts, read 44,033 times
We've had Grande for about five years, almost from the day they switched on in our first neighborhood here. We were really tired of the problems we had with Time Warner—though it's been so long, I can't remember what our complaints were at the time. But, we love Grande and have been extremely happy with them. We've used all their services, they've been very reliable, and the customer service has been great. Honestly, it's the one bill I pay every month that I don't pay grudgingly. We're constantly getting a better deal on our services and upgraded due to the length of time we've been with them. We called a while back to upgrade to the next level of high speed internet—we just wanted to go from the lowest level to the next highest so that YouTube, etc. would be a little faster—and they told us that the packages had all improved since the last time we called and we ended up going up to the second highest speed for internet (bypassing the level we were calling about), AND got upgraded digital cable with DVR, AND lowered our bill by $23 per month. Plus we get discounts for having multiple services. It's rare for me to stop and really tout a product or service, but I have nothing but good things to say about them. I'll hate giving up Grande when we leave Austin.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

361 posts, read 1,164,244 times
Have had TW and Grande. Grande has been a little more reliable, but their customer service is way better. Two minutes on hold rather than the hour I held when with TW.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,708,173 times
Nice to hear the good things about Grande! My husband works for them! Even if he didn't I would suggest them based on what others have told me.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 34,543 times
We just got through a nightmare with AT&T. We transferred our service when we moved, it took them over 2 weeks to finally connect. And that was with me calling almost every day and spending hours of frustration on the phone with them. Every time I called there was a different person, in a different city, and the tech support based in India disconnected on me twice. And even though I got routing numbers in case, I still couldn't get through. And they never seemed to make notes on the account because I had to explain every detail of my fiasco every time I called. It's infuriating when they insist on following protocol and asking me every time if my router was plugged in, despite my insisting to be forwarded higher up. I can set up networks with my eyes closed and it's just condescending for them to ask me the same retarded questions over and over again.

They finally sent someone over at 8am on a Saturday morning, and apparently all they had to do was flip a ****ing switch in the box.

And we have been overcharged and plagued with billing errors for the past 4 months. Just got another letter from them in the mail saying my automatic payment wasn't accepted today.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebra View Post
We just got through a nightmare with AT&T.

They finally sent someone over at 8am on a Saturday morning, and apparently all they had to do was flip a ****ing switch in the box.

And we have been overcharged and plagued with billing errors for the past 4 months. Just got another letter from them in the mail saying my automatic payment wasn't accepted today.
Similar experience here, several years ago though. I lost my business number for a few days when transferring from THEIR analog to THEIR digital service. Had an install once scheduled for between 8 am and 5pm, stayed home ALL day, then they didn't show up til about 7pm. Called all during the day, and could get no indication of when, or even if, they were coming. When they did arrive, it was also a matter of just flipping a switch, apparently. Also got "slammed" repeatedly, with unknown charges from different providers of so-called accessory services showing up on my bill without my approval. That's never happened with digital phone from TWC.

It's too bad, because their U-Verse product looks really good, and their "naked dsl" is dirt cheap. If it weren't for their poor service in the past, I might well have tried them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: