Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times

Advertisements

Quite honestly trying to sell computers at a kiosk is a bad idea. Sunglasses yes, but if you think I'm gonna drop $1K+ to a high schooler pimping your wares next to the Piercing Pagoda you're crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,304 times
Are you saying that you feel more comfortable dropping that $1K to a high schooler 'pimping' in Walmart, Staples or Best Buy?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
The idea of having them in Malls was to give people a chance to see the product. You could only "test drive" one if you knew someone that owned one before that. I had no idea what a Dell LCD looked like till I saw one at the Mall. Now I can go to best Buy and Wal-Mart.

Thinking about that, people working in the Malls probably should have doubted what they were being told about their jobs being safe. I have to wonder about the people making these decisions that effect so many lives. Would it have killed them to tell these employees that they were going to lay them off and give them time to look for work elseware? Oh No, keep these people unaware till we no longer need them and then just drop them.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,364 times
I have had many business engagements with Dell through my company and everytime I thanked God that I did not have to work for Dell.

Inside their RR campuses there is a feeling of beauracracy, hostility between employees, lack of communication etc. Dell is a poor innovator and seems their employees are finding it difficult to think outside the box.

No wonder they would treat their employees like this.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Eh, I have a couple of friends that work there, and they are comfortable with their job situation and have been there for some years now. Dell is always laying people off and hiring at the same time, but most people can figure out what jobs are temporary or likely to get cut. People quit Dell all the time with little or no notice, I suspect. Anyway, file for unemployment. Dell must pay astronomical rates to the unemployment commission, based on the number of people they lay off.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
The idea of having them in Malls was to give people a chance to see the product. You could only "test drive" one if you knew someone that owned one before that. I had no idea what a Dell LCD looked like till I saw one at the Mall. Now I can go to best Buy and Wal-Mart.

Thinking about that, people working in the Malls probably should have doubted what they were being told about their jobs being safe. I have to wonder about the people making these decisions that effect so many lives. Would it have killed them to tell these employees that they were going to lay them off and give them time to look for work elseware? Oh No, keep these people unaware till we no longer need them and then just drop them.

What do you think would have happened if they told people they were going to lose their jobs say in one month?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
*raises hand with answer...mass exodus

Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,915 times
Dell is cutting more than 1200 jobs- 900 in Canada and some in Okalahoma City. Most of these are call center people.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
Quote:
What do you think would have happened if they told people they were going to lose their jobs say in one month?
Perhaps some would bail. It would be nice to have choices and be able to form a plan.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM

260 posts, read 904,746 times
I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's job loss. I imagine this has to be a horrible time for your family. I hope they provided a severance package to help out in the short term. I hope he finds a new, better job soon!

Quote:
Perhaps some would bail. It would be nice to have choices and be able to form a plan.
I completely agree. My company has gone through layoffs for the past 2 years (2006 and 2007, including a 1,000 manager layoff). The first year, they came out w/ a huge announcement that we were focused on efficiency to bring our profit margin up. That included reducing the company headcount significantly. We knew it was coming for months. Managers were doing "skills assessments" on every employee and waiting to find out the final numbers. For months, people wondered and it was horrible. However, folks who felt they were in a less secure position or felt they had limited options within the company had plenty of time to find new jobs. It's always easier to find a job when you already have one. Fortunately, my company pays a generous severance. We are in 2008 with no word of layoffs but no one trusts management; we are all paranoid and waiting for the ball to drop. In our case, jobs are being shift to lower cost geo's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin