Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,003,584 times

Advertisements

I was in a part of town when I saw a sign that said "THE DOMAIN".

Would anyone familiar with what it is care to talk about it?

While I did find some nice neighborhoods in that particular area I felt like a bee in a bee's nest. Cars going fast in all directions, roads looping around. It was a weird experience.

Scary, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,186 times
It's an outdoor mall and apartments. Pretty much par for the course no matter where you travel...they have them all over the country. The Hill Country Galleria is the same except a little larger.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,003,584 times
OK, thanks. Don't get me wrong, I was awe-struck by the views and the greenery but the traffic was a bit much for me.

I wish we had trains "to and from" around here. Every time I see that Amtrak train go by I want to ride. I see it and I wonder why the heck don't we use train travel? As it passed I saw a silhouette of someone sitting in the dining car reading a newspaper. I was jealous for a moment.

Hmm, I wonder where is the nearest train station?

yes, I divert

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
The Amtrak station is right off South Lamar and 5th St. You can catch a train to San Antonio or to Chicago from there. I love trains, too.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 PM

291 posts, read 800,981 times
I've ridden the train from Austin to Chicago - a really fun time!

The Domain is just an upscale outdoor shopping center with apartments and restaurants above and near the shops. It's just a concept of trying to get more people to live close to/where they work. There is a light rail station close by (if they ever get it up and running) so that you could ride the light rail down town.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
OK, thanks. Don't get me wrong, I was awe-struck by the views and the greenery but the traffic was a bit much for me.

I wish we had trains "to and from" around here. Every time I see that Amtrak train go by I want to ride. I see it and I wonder why the heck don't we use train travel? As it passed I saw a silhouette of someone sitting in the dining car reading a newspaper. I was jealous for a moment.

Hmm, I wonder where is the nearest train station?

yes, I divert
Taylor has a station (next town east of Hutto on 79). It goes to Ft Worth and Dallas.
I've ridden the train from Taylor up to Ft Worth and met my brother up there.
Totally enjoyed the trip and we even had lunch in the dining car.

Would make for a nice weekend trip..train to Ft Worth..sightsee and stay overnight and then come home by train the next day.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Yep, there's a station in Taylor. We stopped to look at the map out front one day and that train goes to or connects to lots of different cities.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
I've ridden the train from Austin to Chicago - a really fun time!
That trip is on our list of things to do, too. I looked up the route guide and it looks great. We want to do that in 2010.

We rode Amtrak's Coast Starlight from SF to Seattle once and splurged for the Family Sleeper - it's the compartment at the lower end of the car that stretches the entire width, and has a window on each side. It was 28 hours each way and the fare included all our meals and wine and cheese in the parlour car each day. The service was awesome, the food was really good, and sleeping on a train is divine. We brought a portable dvd player with us and when it got dark enjoyed cocktails and a movie in our sleeper.

The best part is driving to the station, parking your car, walking across the platform and right onto your car without the stress and hassle of security, etc. So blissful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin