Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

I may be accepting a position with my employer to relocate to the Austin area in early spring 2010. I've already made one trip out to the area, but I'd like to get some specific advice regarding schools/child care, and job opportunities for my spouse.

My husband and I have a 2 year old, and while child care won't be an immediate issue, it will be once my husband gets a job. Currently we spend $1,000 a month for day care and would like to stay at or below that price range. Can anyone recommend either a preK school or child care center known for quality care and attention?

My husband works as an insurance agent for a small agency selling mostly personal auto & home (some commercial but not as much), and he wants to find a similar position. Online search engines don't seem to offer much - is there somewhere else to look for non-commission insurance jobs?

We're looking to buy a house in a quality school district and our budget is under $200k (ideally 4 BR), so the Eanes and Lake Travis ISD are out, but I'm considering the Round Rock area. Any other areas we should consider? We're taking another trip down to Austin around the first of the year and only have 3 days to explore some more before I either accept or decline the relo offer.

I appreciate any suggestions, and if any of my questions have been answered in a previous post please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
It would be helpful if you tell us where you will be working, since you say you are moving to accept a transfer.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
There are only a handful of daycares/preschools that charge anything close to $1000 a month! The full-time infant room at my 4 year-old's NAEYC accredited center is only $850!

For two years and up something around $700 is a better ballpark figure.

good luck

Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM

97 posts, read 264,155 times
Welcome to town! centralaustinite is right but there are even less expensive options. There are some excellent Montessori schools, if you're interested.

Depending on where you work (commuting here can be just awful), you'll find nice homes and very family friendly ares in North Austin, Round Rock. RRISD (Round Rock Independent School District) is quite good. One neighborhood to think about is Wells Branch. Another is Scofield Farms. Both are family-oriented burbs. Four bedrooms for $200k might be tough. You'd probably need to go farther out. The town of Pflugerville has tons of new developments and you can get a lot of house for the money. I have a low opinion of the schools, though.

My two cents. Good luck to you! Connecticut to Austin--big change! Welcome!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:25 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Take a look at Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Georgetown, and Leander. There are lots of good day care facilities around. My sister uses Stepping Stone. They have facilities all over town. As for insurance jobs, I have a good friend that works for Farmers but I think that is commission based. I'll ask him if he knows of any non commission based insurance jobs.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM

centralaustinite - thanks for the info about the child care costs. That will certainly be a welcome change! : )

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 PM

g grasshopper - my office is just off of Southwest Parkway/southwest Austin. I already commute over 25 miles each way, so I'd rather be in an area with good schools/childcare/neighborhoods than have a shorter commute. I was initially looking at the Dripping Springs/Buda area, but it seems like the Leander/Cedar Park/Pflugerville area has more of what we're looking for??

Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM

And by the way, what Betina is doing is not supposed to be allowed on these forums. You are not supposed to openly advertise yourself. A Realtor is supposed to only offer advice and set their affiliation as a Real Estate Agent or Realtor which shows up next to their username. But she probably doesn't realize this yet since this is her 2nd post. If you find information from a Realtor that benefits you and you want to contact them, send them a direct message. There are many Realtors on here myself included. We'd love to do business with all of you all but we also want to give you and all who read these forums the best information so that you can make an informed decision.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpory View Post
g grasshopper - my office is just off of Southwest Parkway/southwest Austin. I already commute over 25 miles each way, so I'd rather be in an area with good schools/childcare/neighborhoods than have a shorter commute. I was initially looking at the Dripping Springs/Buda area, but it seems like the Leander/Cedar Park/Pflugerville area has more of what we're looking for??
My husband used to work for AMD on Southwest Parkway. He commuted everyday from our house in Round Rock. He did not really mind it too much but I know it was frustrating for him commuting through rush hour on Mopac everyday. He now works in Northwest Austin and is much happier. What part of town do you live in now?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM

shankaupas - we still live in CT (I live in between my two offices - both are 25 miles in the opposite direction from our house). I'm used to horrible commutes, so I wouldn't be horrified if it took me 45 min to an hour to get from the Round Rock area to my new office in SW Austin.

BTW - thanks all for the info and advise so far!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin