Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM

260 posts, read 904,341 times

Advertisements

Sigh.... we did live there almost 10 years and liked it. We have LOTS of friends there. BUT.... I will MISS Austin big time!!!!

Hubby starts his new job 1/18, so I'll have to do the single parent thing for a few months. We'll have to pay for two households. My job transfers there and is more stable with a lot more opportunity at that location than here. Otherwise, we wouldn't relocate for his job (our pay is the same).

Looking at houses on ziprealty.com, it's really depressing to see the # of foreclosures/short sales. Most "regular" listings say "not bank owned" in advertising. Sad. Reading the posts on city-data (Phoenix) makes it even more depressing. When I lived there, people usually liked it (except those who absolutely can't handle the heat... they wouldn't like it here either). Now it seems, they all hate it there or maybe only people who hate it belong to the forum. Ugh....

The reason why my husband got a job there is from previous connections/experience (they called him). We haven't lived here long enough for him to have those connections (which it seems what it takes to get a job these days). A JOB is a JOB though... he needs it mentally!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
We lived in Phoenix for the last ten years and up until 2005 it was a positive environment, in general, but after the crash, depression has set in... I'm glad we left and while we miss friends there dearly, I can't see any circumstance where we'd want to go back.

Edit: I hit reply too fast. I meant to say Congratulations to your hubby. Despite the current climate, if you liked it there before, I'm sure you can find happiness there again.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
These days, any place where you both have work is a great thing. Chandler is a decent area and Arizona really does have a lot of positive things to offer as well. Including lower house prices right now.

The number of people who complain about an area always out number those who post positive comments. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. The important thing is you both will have employment and be able to take care of your family. There are far worse places to live, like
Detroit. Thank your lucky stars!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Newby View Post
Sigh.... we did live there almost 10 years and liked it. We have LOTS of friends there. BUT.... I will MISS Austin big time!!!!

Hubby starts his new job 1/18, so I'll have to do the single parent thing for a few months. We'll have to pay for two households. My job transfers there and is more stable with a lot more opportunity at that location than here. Otherwise, we wouldn't relocate for his job (our pay is the same).

Looking at houses on ziprealty.com, it's really depressing to see the # of foreclosures/short sales. Most "regular" listings say "not bank owned" in advertising. Sad. Reading the posts on city-data (Phoenix) makes it even more depressing. When I lived there, people usually liked it (except those who absolutely can't handle the heat... they wouldn't like it here either). Now it seems, they all hate it there or maybe only people who hate it belong to the forum. Ugh....

The reason why my husband got a job there is from previous connections/experience (they called him). We haven't lived here long enough for him to have those connections (which it seems what it takes to get a job these days). A JOB is a JOB though... he needs it mentally!!!
Well, in today's economy, paradise is any place with a decent job. If you can't land one in Austin, then anyplace with a decent opportunity would be best. Actually, the middle-USA seems to have the most stable economies/jobs, such as Omaha, the Dakota's, Iowa, and such. I think most people would be happy anywhere they can get a great job opportunity, regardless of how "hip" it is. Hip is certainly a frill/icing on the cake in this economy anyway...

A quick aside...Arizona's state economy/budget is in the most dire straits in the USA, far worse than California, if that can be imagined. One of the reasons so many people are leaving is that the state cannot afford to pay out benefits anymore, over and above the double-digit UR.

AZ needs help from the fed gov't big time...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
The important thing is that your husband got a job, congratulations! He no doubt needs to work for the money, but also for his well-being. My advice (not that you asked for it ) is to quit reading the forums. It's amazing how negative attitudes can sway neutral feelings. Go into this with an open and clear mind and be positive. Best of luck to you both.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM

This kept me up last night (worrying). While my job is better there in AZ, I won't be able to transfer back to Austin and stay w/ the company thanks to a location policy a couple of years ago (I was grandfathered in). I've worked for Intel for 13 years.

Quote:
A quick aside...Arizona's state economy/budget is in the most dire straits in the USA, far worse than California, if that can be imagined. One of the reasons so many people are leaving is that the state cannot afford to pay out benefits anymore, over and above the double-digit UR.
Real estate prices are definately lower, but would you still buy? I can't foresee this turning around in a couple of years.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks Austin Traveler!!! I think I'll stay away from the forum and just read the local news instead. Our best friends are there and never complain.

Yeah, my husband really needs to work for his mental well being for sure. He's been depressed for over a year.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Quote:
Real estate prices are definately lower, but would you still buy? I can't foresee this turning around in a couple of years.
I wouldn't buy there right now. We watched our home plummet from $517k to $250k in less than two years and now it's down under $220k and still falling, albeit not as quickly. If I were you, I'd take advantage of the tremendous rental market there and rent the nicest house you can afford. Maybe look into Ahwatukee or something. You can get McMansions for around $1000/month now. And that way, if you get an opportunity to return to Austin, you're not locked into selling a house, just waiting for your lease to expire.

Get something nice, pamper yourselves. That should make it easier to give up Austin.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I like the Phoenix area. As I mentioned in another recent thread, you have a bunch of three day weekend opportunities close by. Disneyland, Las Vegas, skiing, lakes, the ocean, are all within driving distance. The kids can meet and get autographs from a lot of baseball players for free during Spring Training. The economy thrives there every year during March even in all the suburbs because of Spring Training. Tempe has a great little downtown. I always have a great time there every time I go. This might be a great time to buy a place in a more desirable area like Chandler if you can afford it.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
Quote:
Like Runemaster stated, our house value simply plummeted beyond anything imaginable. To watch a home lose more than 1/2 its value is simply insane.

Sounds like they are predicting 15-20 years before it turns around.

Of course, there are some great deals to be had buying a home, but just know that it probably won't appreciate and you might get stuck with it for awhile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin