Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 PM

110 posts, read 523,712 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have been to Austin and looked all around the NW area, and have zeroed in on the Lakeway/Lake Travis area. Basically the area around 620 between 2222 and Bee Caves. What we see is diverse housing choices, a safe community, great schools, and pride in the community.

I'd like any info/opinions you have about this area. What rep does this area have? How are the families and kids? Is there enough for adults and teens to do? Is Lake Travis HS as good as it seems? Any "more than usual" drug or alcohol problems among the HS kids? Is it stuffy like Westlake? Are there good restaurants and entertainment options? What is the commute like to the areas of industry?

I also have questions about the lake. I've read that it has had level issues in recent years. Is this true, and what does this do to the community in the summer, or whenever it occurs? Is it a clean lake, and good for recreation or swimming?

As you can see, I have more questions than answers. Any positive, negative, or meandering comments would be great to have!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
It's the busiest and craziest lake in Austin (especially on holidays), and only when the levels are very low or very high (bacteria issues or inaccessability to ramps) do they close it down. It was at record lows this year due to the drought but is a little higher right now.

Don't know about the other things, although Lake Travis ISD is one of the few highest rated school districts in the area.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
There was a recent thread that will give you some good information about Lake Travis:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...tin-maybe.html

The new Hill Country Galleria and Shops at the Galleria have provided a lot more in terms of shopping, dining and entertainment for Lakeway and Bee Cave residents than was available in the past. As far as commutes go - there are really only 2 roads into town - 2222 and Bee Cave and both of them can be pretty horrible at peak rush hour. Totally depends on where you're going though and when.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I have lived in the Lake Travis area since 1985. I think it is a terrific place to live with or without a family, if the distance to work is not an issue.

I have two kids in LTHS now, and one graduated in 2008. The school is very good overall. It is rated "acceptable" because of a lingering problem with completion rates for certain socio-economic groups. LTHS has just missed the "recognized" rating as a result. Otherwise I think the high school is very good. LTHS is probably more diverse than Westlake. We have kids of millionaire families - and a fair number of kids who below what I suppose would be described as middle class. The LTISD boundaries are very wide - reaching from Briarcliff to Mansfield dam.

The LT area has grown steadily. When I moved here Bee Caves Rd. was two lanes. 620 was two lanes and we drove across Mansfield dam.

I lived in Lakeway for 12 years. When we moved there in 1986 we thought we were the youngest couple in the area. It was primarily a resort and retirement area. But now it is a big upscale family community. Lakeway is too controlling for us - so when we outgrew our 3 BR house we moved "out" to Spicewood. Lakeway is a fine area but you should decide if it is what you want.

There is plenty of shopping for us. The movie theater in the Bee Cave Galleria is probably the item we most wanted to see. I don't care about Dillards or Eddie Bauer. Stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and restaurants are most important to me. We continue to gain restaurants - though we lost a few due to the economy (or bad food).

As for busiest lake? I think Lake Austin is worse at peak times. Hence the PWC ban on Lake Austin on holiday weekends. Lake Travis is definitely busy in the summer on weekends. It is much less busy on weekdays and it is uber peaceful right now.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
The area is great, and second top rated schools behind Eanes and ahead of Round Rock. I'm in Bee Cave, in Falconhead West. One set of in-laws lives in Lakeway, and the other set lives on Lake Travis. No, they didn't have water in their cove half the summer (starting in mid-July), but they have plenty now. Lake Austin seems more crowded to me, but maybe because it's narrower. Lake Travis is more a "lake" where Lake Austin is more a "river".

Lots of shopping, though I wish more bigger stores would move this way like a Macy's, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and things like that. We need more grocery stores as I'm not used to the lack of variety at both HEB and Randalls.

As always, price range and what you're looking for in the house will dictate where you'll end up. Lakeway has many smaller, older homes for under $300k, but if you're looking for larger than 2500 sqft, price will definitely go up as well, mainly because it used to be a "retirement" type area, the homes were smaller and room for a "family" wasn't needed.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM

35 posts, read 150,857 times
Thanks for the info. We are also looking to move there in the summer. What a welcome change from NJ. One question, I have seen on a couple of threads that when choosing a house to "avoid the Y", which I think is a traffic intersection out that way. Which one exactly is it?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithT View Post
One question, I have seen on a couple of threads that when choosing a house to "avoid the Y", which I think is a traffic intersection out that way. Which one exactly is it?
The Y is where 71 and 290 meet in Oak Hill. Instead of going that way, you would want to take 71 to Southwest Parkway, which dumps out at Mopac (loop 1).

Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM

35 posts, read 150,857 times
Thanks. If you would care to talk a bit about the different Lakeway neighborhoods, please do. We prefer custom home collections over the all-the-same Toll Brothers but we also like relatively new (last 10 years). Our price range is up to $700. I am looking at houses in The Hills, Falconhead, "regular" Lakeway, Ridge at Alta Vista, the Pointe, etc. It is hard to tell what the whole neighborhood looks like & what its flavor is.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithT View Post
Thanks. If you would care to talk a bit about the different Lakeway neighborhoods, please do. We prefer custom home collections over the all-the-same Toll Brothers but we also like relatively new (last 10 years). Our price range is up to $700. I am looking at houses in The Hills, Falconhead, "regular" Lakeway, Ridge at Alta Vista, the Pointe, etc. It is hard to tell what the whole neighborhood looks like & what its flavor is.
It's hard to explain... but I'll try... Main Lakeway off Lakeway Blvd and Lohmanns Crossing are not track homes. The majority are customer built over the years, as is The Hills. Lakeway has about 75 houses under $700k that are under 10 years old on the market, whereas The Hills has 15. The Hills is more expensive, on average.

Falconhead is more track homes (I'm in Falconhead West, hence my screen name). Most floorplans have multiple elevations, but they're still not very diverse. My floorplan is diverse and has only one other in the neighborhood and you can't even tell it's the same. I like that!

Alta Vista, The Pointe within Lake Pointe are all track home builders...

Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM

110 posts, read 523,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Alta Vista, The Pointe within Lake Pointe are all track home builders...
Does anyone have more info about Alta Vista? ANYTHING would help.

We drove through there and noticed the streets were very narrow and without sidewalks; is this normal? Nice homes on good sized lots (some anyway), but how is the neighborhood? People? Home quality? It's close to the HS and MS right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin