Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for you guys down there , i watched this project form the get go. I think you guys could have got a better system or line. This line doesn't seem to target key areas. Austin should have at least started with a Light Rail line running for at least 10 miles through the dense core. and then this should have been a Commuter feeder route into the city. I also feel bad that Texas will probably not get there High Speed Rail network. it seems the Majority of the Funding and private investment will go to the Midwest.

~Corey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Here is the crux of the problem: "dense core"

Austin is not a major metro with hundreds of years of urban history that give it a dense core, we are a spread-out, sunbelt city, that isn't even in the top three for city size in our own state!!

We don't have the density of housing or the density of employment (like say Merchandise Mart in Chicago) to do rail right.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Are we still talking about this high school run light rail system? It looks like the McNeil High School freshman class won out among 5 other possible high schools to run the new transit line. Once the high school students get experience with this new light rail line, they will be free to pursue other forms of transportation such as:

1.) Operating the kiddie cars at Disneyland
2.) Being second in command of the kid choo choo at the San Antonio Zoo
3.) Assisting the chief officer at the Log Flume Ride at Six Flags Arlington!

This new light rail in Austin will help so many young kids!! Thank you so much Capital Metro. You are truly a shining star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Mods feel free to merge this if there is already an existing thread.

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/all-systems-go.shtml

Glad Austin is getting something started, but only every 35 minutes? And only during the morning and afternoon commute times? This is due to freight trains using the tracks at other times of the day and night? What is up with that?

What I also noticed - is that all the train plans they have for future lines are also going to go on existing freight lines (if I read that correctly, someone correct me if I am mistaken). If so, does that mean Austin could one day have this built-up, nice, intricate Train system for its city with multiple lines ... and only use it for morning and afternoon commutes?? That would suck for Austin's residents. "Sorry. We have a great train system that we took much time to develop for you ... but you can only use it for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening."

Can somone who knows more about this correct me if I am wrong in assuming all of this? I really hope that as this development pans out over the years, that lines would run the usual 6am-Midnight (or later). I say all this as Austin is one of our future choices down the road ... and I am currently spoiled by a decent train in our current city that runs ever 10-15 minutes, 6am-midnight.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Mods feel free to merge this if there is already an existing thread.

http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/all-systems-go.shtml

Glad Austin is getting something started, but only every 35 minutes? And only during the morning and afternoon commute times? This is due to freight trains using the tracks at other times of the day and night? What is up with that?

What I also noticed - is that all the train plans they have for future lines are also going to go on existing freight lines (if I read that correctly, someone correct me if I am mistaken). If so, does that mean Austin could one day have this built-up, nice, intricate Train system for its city with multiple lines ... and only use it for morning and afternoon commutes?? That would suck for Austin's residents. "Sorry. We have a great train system that we took much time to develop for you ... but you can only use it for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening."

Can somone who knows more about this correct me if I am wrong in assuming all of this? I really hope that as this development pans out over the years, that lines would run the usual 6am-Midnight (or later). I say all this as Austin is one of our future choices down the road ... and I am currently spoiled by a decent train in our current city that runs ever 10-15 minutes, 6am-midnight.
They know that if they pass the measure in Austin then they can fight for the expansion to San Antonio/south texas.

I wish Austin/central texas had to fund this from their...not Texas'...tax dollars. I like to see if all the foward thinkng people of the area would vote for it if they had to pay for it?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Are we still talking about this high school run light rail system?
Well, I am not a resident nor do I frequent the Austin forum ... but came across this link while doing some reserach on one of the cities we are thinking about trying out in a few years . I felt that I had to post though, due to the very odd (and not user-friendly) way the project seems to be starting.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Well, I am not a resident nor do I frequent the Austin forum ... but came across this link while doing some reserach on one of the cities we are thinking about trying out in a few years . I felt that I had to post though, due to the very odd (and not user-friendly) way the project seems to be starting.
Please don't be put off by eepstein. He is hostile all the time. Glad you contributed.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Here is the crux of the problem: "dense core"

Austin is not a major metro with hundreds of years of urban history that give it a dense core, we are a spread-out, sunbelt city, that isn't even in the top three for city size in our own state!!

We don't have the density of housing or the density of employment (like say Merchandise Mart in Chicago) to do rail right.
Austin does not have a dense core in the vein of a Chicago, New York or Boston, that's true. But I still believe a more meaningful light rail system running from, say Rundberg to Ben White along Lamar, through Guadalupe, and through Congress, and on would have gone through Austin's more dense segments (Brentwood, Hyde Park, Campus areas, South Congress, Travis Heights) and would have made a LOT more sense. And I agree with the previous poster that the Red Line would have been more logical as commuter feeder. A hypothetical, genuine light rail line could have been operational throughout the day, seven days a week. The line would have been a great way to alleviate traffic during SxSW, ACL, or even First Thursdays (is that still going on?), in addition to just helping shuttle people everyday. While it's true that lots of Austin's spread out, sprawl encouraging office parks house the jobs, there are still quite a few people who work near or around downtown. Of course, those people probably live in Georgetown or Round Rock, but my point is that Austin had the opportunity to do rail as it was best suited for Austin. Smart urban planning means looking at your city's layout, growth trends, and population needs, and planning accordingly. Not-smart urban planning is assuming that you can graft Chicago, New York, or Boston-style rail solutions onto a city with a significantly different layout. I honestly don't think that Capital Metro was smart enough to even go the "Not-Smart" way. Again, citing a previous poster, it really did seem as though they were just interested in saying, "See! We have a train system!" But as we all know, there is no there there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin