Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 45,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
So, my question is, did something happen to Austin since last spring that is reflected in the current of negativity flowing through these forums?
We lost the National Championship game to Alabama... that and Rick Perry is still the governor I suppose?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ole View Post
We lost the National Championship game to Alabama... that and Rick Perry is still the governor I suppose?!
Also, relentless drought and 100 + degree temps.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,142 times
Quote:
GAH! Don't get me started. Losing Colt McCoy made the rest of game seem irrelevant.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:19 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
I thought I recalled discussions in the early 90s about expanding I35 but the idea was shot down with the thought that it would encourage growth. So the idea that Austin did not want to grow was probably the sentiment held by the majority of the community and the city government. But then the city government realized that Austin is a desirable place to live and saw the dollar signs. They started to lure the tech industry to the area which caused a flood of sorts. I don't think they anticipated this flood and had no plans to improve the infrastructure. What we have now is a metro that has doubled in size but has barely increased the infrastructure. Are they still having meetings to discuss the solution to the traffic problems on I35 and Mopac?

The thing that is wrong with Austin right now is that we just had one of the hottest summers on record and one of the coldest Decembers on record. Maybe this is the beginning of the 2012 (12-21-12) doomsday predictions.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Sorry - but UT is not Austin.

WE did not lose a football game to Alabama. The Longhorns lost the game.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
the thing that is wrong with austin right now is that we just had one of the hottest summers on record and one of the coldest decembers on record. Maybe this is the beginning of the 2012 (12-21-12) doomsday predictions.
oh please.

Is the beautiful sky today just a tease until doomsday arrives?

Are the locusts coming next?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
oh please.

Is the beautiful sky today just a tease until doomsday arrives?

Are the locusts coming next?
Just a bit of morbid humor. My son is fascinated by 2012 right now. Dodge is running a funny commercial telling you to prepare for doomsday by stocking up on all of the necessities including a hemi powered charger. They say why risk it.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Just a bit of morbid humor. My son is fascinated by 2012 right now. Dodge is running a funny commercial telling you to prepare for doomsday by stocking up on all of the necessities including a hemi powered charger. They say why risk it.
OK. As long as you weren't serious!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 PM

48 posts, read 90,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well that doesn't make any sense either. If Austin didn't wanna grow, why does the COA and Chamber put so much money and emphasis into hyping Austin and what a "great" place it is?? Someone must want people to move here. It is a FACT, the a place can only sustain so many people efficiently within a certain infastruture.

You can't really compare Phoenix to Austin however. They have a great, very new freeway system which continuously updates and expands to meet the needs of their rapid growth. AND it's all done with tax payer dollars rather than tollroads. Phoenix is also putting together a new light rail system (wait, maybe part of it is already running) and plans to expand the routes as well.

The fact remains that Austin's days of fast growth will rapidly be coming to an end. It's infastructure is already strained to the point of nearly total gridlock. Since the city has no plans to do anything about it, Austin will start loosing jobs like crazy to larger more progressive cities like Houston and Dallas (or possibly other cities like Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando)
eepstein is right, it is near total gridlock. It's 25 years of gross selfishness and shortsightedness on the part of the city and it's leaders. The COA and Chamber promotes the city- they do want your tax $, water bill $, electric bill $, etc but don't want to give back to the citizens in the form of improved infrastructure which leads to a better quality of life.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 AM

191 posts, read 262,621 times
Its a decent place. People aren't flooding the real estate market because it sucks so bad, yknow?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin