Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 30,281 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a space to have a wedding reception in December 2010 and I'm trying to find something that isn't your typical wedding venue. I've looked into almost every typical wedding venue in Austin and nothing has really fit with what we want. I need it to be in Austin, not outside of it. Some of the places I'm looking at include Flatbed Press, Mexican American Cultural Center and the Inn at Pearl Street. Any other recommendations would be great! We had to move the wedding date and we already have a caterer, so I would really need a place where I can bring my caterer as well. And would love it to fit everyone indoors, but still have an outdoor space for people to be outside if they want. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Is the Umlauf sculpture garden too weddingish? Weddings & Other Facility Rentals (http://www.umlaufsculpture.org/facilities/ - broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM

that was actually a spot i looked at, but they do not have an indoor space that would work in case it is super cold. it's mostly an outdoor venue.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildeedee View Post
I'm looking for a space to have a wedding reception in December 2010 and I'm trying to find something that isn't your typical wedding venue. I've looked into almost every typical wedding venue in Austin and nothing has really fit with what we want. I need it to be in Austin, not outside of it. Some of the places I'm looking at include Flatbed Press, Mexican American Cultural Center and the Inn at Pearl Street. Any other recommendations would be great! We had to move the wedding date and we already have a caterer, so I would really need a place where I can bring my caterer as well. And would love it to fit everyone indoors, but still have an outdoor space for people to be outside if they want. Thank you so much!!
ladybird johnson wildflower center by the veloway is nice. I went to a wine tasting there and the courtyard was really nice

seaholm power plant apparently can be rented for parties

Austin museum of art (never been there)

Welcome to Mercury Hall - Book your next event with us - 512-236-1226 mercury hall has a large indoor space and a nice outdoor space. I attended a wedding there that was great

Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 PM

313 posts, read 786,355 times
I got married at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center. Its really better for a fall or spring wedding, especially at night, because the outdoor space is *spectacular* when lit up. The sun also sets at just the right angle on the place to put on a show but not blind you.

Its not downtown, its about a mile south of 71 & mopac, which may not fit your need. They did let us bring our own caterer and photographer, though its been a while so not sure if that is still true. Some pictures of the place in the link below. You also may need to define "traditional wedding venues" because that means a lot of different things to different people.

Image Gallery - Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM

when i think of traditional wedding venues it's places that for the most part cater to weddings...allan house, mercury hall, villa antonia, the mansion, etc. i'm trying to find art galleries, interesting buildings that may be available for events, etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
You don't say how large a facility you need. How about the Zilker Clubhouse. Its a nice old stone building up on top of a hill West of MoPac with a good view of the city. City of Austin - Parks and Recreation: Reservable Facilities

Photos City of Austin - Parks and Recreation: Reservable Facilities Photographs

Here is a list of other City facilities that can be rented for events. City of Austin - Parks and Recreation: Reservable Facilities

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM

yes! i've looked into zilker clubhouse. the only thing is we're getting married in december so the inside of the clubhouse is not big enough and the outside could be too cold...and a tent would wreck the incredible view! we're having about 100 people.

Last edited by hildeedee; 10-20-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM

313 posts, read 786,355 times
There's a church in S. Austin that was converted into a castle. You can also stay there after your wedding (or have guest stay there). Its a pretty unusual space and worth checking out. Its a decent size inside, 100 may be a little tight, but it also has a good courtyard that'd easily fit 100 if you got lucky with a warm december day.

New castle in town | Austin Metblogs

More details and pictures: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p252448

Says its 2100 for a week rental, not bad.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Laguna Gloria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin