Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 14,185 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife have lived in central Massachusetts our whole lives. We have been talking about moving to Austin for almost a year now, and have been making preparations to move this spring. About 3 months ago things got a little creepy. My wife and I started to feel as tho things were working out too easily when it came to moving. We came into enough money to pay our bills off (except for cars) and I got laid off from work, and her job told her they will be closing down in a couple of years. Our problem now is leaving family. We absolutely hate the area we are in. We feel stuck here, and feel as tho our son will have a hard time growing up in this area. Problem is that we are starting to get scared about moving halfway across the country. My wife just got her C.N.A. and I managed a residential treatment house for adults with sexually abusive behaviors. Also we live with her parents right now, so we could possibly move and I could still get my unemployment until we found jobs. I am just scared of making a decision that will turn out to be a bad one for my family.
P.S. Sorry how chaotic this post is. My mind is in overdrive right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:01 PM

I realize there is no real question in that post lol. I am just wondering if other people left family and friends and how it turned out.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 89,777 times
I don't have a direct answer for you either, but I have come to see that in life if you wait to get the courage before taking an action, you will wait forever. One gets the courage from taking the action.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks ChrisInAustin! Even tho it wasn't a direct answer it is very insightful. I think alot of fear is not really fear but an overwhelming feeling of it all.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 PM

282 posts, read 526,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keamo View Post
Me and my wife have lived in central Massachusetts our whole lives. We have been talking about moving to Austin for almost a year now, and have been making preparations to move this spring. About 3 months ago things got a little creepy. My wife and I started to feel as tho things were working out too easily when it came to moving. We came into enough money to pay our bills off (except for cars) and I got laid off from work, and her job told her they will be closing down in a couple of years. Our problem now is leaving family. We absolutely hate the area we are in. We feel stuck here, and feel as tho our son will have a hard time growing up in this area. Problem is that we are starting to get scared about moving halfway across the country. My wife just got her C.N.A. and I managed a residential treatment house for adults with sexually abusive behaviors. Also we live with her parents right now, so we could possibly move and I could still get my unemployment until we found jobs. I am just scared of making a decision that will turn out to be a bad one for my family.
P.S. Sorry how chaotic this post is. My mind is in overdrive right now.

You just have to do it...if you HATE where you are now.. you need to make a change and change is scary but once you get over that fear you will be fine. If it doesn't work out then you find somewhere else to go....it's pretty simple really but when you put toooooo much thought into it, that is what complicates things..I think anyway!! Good luck to you!
We are kinda doing the same thing...picking up and moving to a new place (away from family also) ...it does make me nervous but excited too!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM

97 posts, read 199,622 times
What kind of job do you do? since your wife is still working maybe you should try to come down here first.Also get on the web job search about your profession...that way you might have an idea about the job market for u here.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,120,789 times
Change is always scary, especially when you have a wife and son who will also be at risk. If this were a normal economy I'd say go for it. But its not. It would be a real good idea for you to come to Austin and try to find a job before moving here. The economy is doing better here then in many other places, but there are not a lot of jobs around. Don't burn any bridges back home until you have established a beach head here.
It does sound like you both have skills and work experience that make it promising for finding work here. But the state, city and schools are facing budget cut backs, which is bound to make things tighter in many areas.

Here are some previous threads about nursing jobs in Austin.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ar-austin.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...rad-nurse.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...arket-rns.html

Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 PM

535 posts, read 1,298,155 times
There is nothing to fear but fear itself...obviously you are "thinking" too much. I would suggest you go with your instincts and quit "thinking" so much.

My family and I moved ourselves halfway across the U.S. away from family and a place we called home for over 40 years two years ago. We have not regretted the decison of going with our instincts not once......and we even live in an area that most of the posters on this forum would call repulsive.

What I am saying is if your gut is pulling you just go with the flow....ya know like row row your boat gently down the stream. Change is good and you always get what you are looking for in a place no matter where you live.

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,809,246 times
One thing that helped me get over my nerves, a friend told me, "Look, if you move, and you don't like it, you don't have to stay there".

It doesn't HAVE to be a permanent move. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM

515 posts, read 1,398,294 times
We are somewhat in the same situation as we are selling our home and leaving our state, and friends and family. We have the opportunity to move and we are looking for a new adventure for the second half of our lives. However that said we also are responsible people and would never pick and move somewhere without a job to support us. My husband works from home and can basically work anywhere in the country. In this economy, and with a family I don't think I would advise anyone to pick up and move anywhere without a job first. In our case, we are scared (which is totally natural), but also very excited! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin