Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

How can people of California enjoy Austin? It doesn't have anything that the large cities like L.A. and San Fransisco have.

Austin's economy isn't that good either. So I really feel sorry for everybody that has to move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

But as you mention, alot people will have unrealistic expectiations of Austin because of the hype. Some people still love it, but its still not what they thought. As for Dallas and Houston, people have low expectations, show up, and think, this is much better than I thought.

Austin is a great city, but I feel like people expect too much from it. For some people it lives up to it but for alot it doesnt.

Aim low and youre never dissapointed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How can people of California enjoy Austin? It doesn't have anything that the large cities like L.A. and San Fransisco have.

Austin's economy isn't that good either. So I really feel sorry for everybody that has to move there.
I think thats a little extreme.

Many people prefer Austin to other places which is fine. Most Californians like it because there alot of other Californians there and the attitude in the city is more similar to California. Austin is (in my opinion) more asthetically pleasing than Dallas or Houston are. Austin is also a more outdoorsy city than Dallas or Houston. California is a very outdoorsy state, so they find that appealing too.

There are reasons why people in California would prefer one city to another.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:37 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,670 times
WHat say you about schools--for students and teachers in Austin? Crimes? Gangs? Does everyone live in a "community"?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
hype, check.
subjectivism, check.
out of touch media, check.

who aids in the creation of unrealistic expectations? the media.

therefore....drum roll....quit watching the news.
Most people in Texas will tell you that Houston has a much better job market then Austin right now, yet we don't seem get nearly as much attention for being "recession proof" as Austin. Sometimes I wonder where the news gets their information on this subject.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How can people of California enjoy Austin?
It's as easy for a former Californian to enjoy living in Austin as it is for you and e.e. to post endless "I hate Austin" comments without providing much substance.

Welcome to Austin, may I take your order? The "I hate Austin Special Combo"... Do you want to super-size that? OK, great! Anything to drink? An extra large "I don't understand why anyone would like Austin." Anything else? OK, lots of personal attention and extra "Austin sucks" sauce, you got it.

Your total will be $9.79, will there be anything else? A one way ticket to Missouri? Yes, that comes free with your order. Missouri loves company, so we've arranged for you to travel with eepstein.

Thank you, please drive through and have a nice day!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM

197 posts, read 612,791 times
Why I want to be in Austin: (by Burl! Ahem!)

1.) I want to get out of the big, anonymous city I live in and be somewhere with a community. I like the idea of neighbors who know each other and maybe will come over to each other's houses for a bar-b-que.
2.) Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually enjoy mind-blowing heat. Not because I enjoy roasting like a chicken, but because when I am in warmer, sunnier climates most of the year, I am more productive, I get out more, and I like to wear open-toes shoes more than just one or two months a year. Plus I want to grow fruits and veggies, and I hear Austin is good for this.
3.) While people are saying the Austin culture is disapearing because of new transplants, I want to adopt this culture and become part of the Austin family. I want a big Texas flag in my livingroom and a pair of white cowgirl boots to go with it! Show me your ways and I will learn them!
4.) I think watertowers are neat.
5.) I want to have a drawl.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear CNN thinks Austin is as cool a place as I do!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
OP--hope you make out like a bandit on selling your home in Austin and buying one in Phoenix
personally I have never been on the right end of the buying stick when we have moved--we always seemed to move into area of more expensive/uptick trend homes and leave one when market was slow/falling valuation...

and I am sure the original inhabitants of Texas felt as dispossed and misunderstood when the Mexicans and then Austin's Colonists moved in--
so being overwhelmed with transplants is just part and parcel of Texas culture...at least there are no scalping raids during a full moon...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 AM

163 posts, read 318,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Most people in Texas will tell you that Houston has a much better job market then Austin right now, yet we don't seem get nearly as much attention for being "recession proof" as Austin. Sometimes I wonder where the news gets their information on this subject.
kind of makes you wonder what entity, if any, is influencing the media to portray austin in such a speculative manner...

Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
People have their own opinions. There are some things that I say that may have little substance, however most of what I say regarding Austin's numerous shortcomings as a mid size city are FACTS. It falls short of nearly every other city as far as basic amenities, that is a fact.

Again, people are allowed to thing that they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
It's as easy for a former Californian to enjoy living in Austin as it is for you and e.e. to post endless "I hate Austin" comments without providing much substance.

Welcome to Austin, may I take your order? The "I hate Austin Special Combo"... Do you want to super-size that? OK, great! Anything to drink? An extra large "I don't understand why anyone would like Austin." Anything else? OK, lots of personal attention and extra "Austin sucks" sauce, you got it.

Your total will be $9.79, will there be anything else? A one way ticket to Missouri? Yes, that comes free with your order. Missouri loves company, so we've arranged for you to travel with eepstein.

Thank you, please drive through and have a nice day!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I really dont understand this seething hatred for Austin.

Austin does have alot to offer. The outdoor opprotunities are some of the best in Texas. Yes, I know its not what we have in California, but there are still alot there. Its alot more laid back than your average Texas city which is very appealing to people from California. Alot of people from LA would look at moving to a Dallas or Houston as moving to just another large city thats cheaper and has less to do. Austin on the other hand would provide something different in that its a smaller city with some big city ammenities and alot of outdoor ammenities.

Austin wasnt my choice of places to live in Texas. I like more diversity and internationalness which only Houston and Dallas offer in Texas. But I always enjoy visiting Austin and I really like the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin