Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM

242 posts, read 493,390 times

Advertisements

Long time listener, first time caller.

My wife and I have been planning a move to Austin for quite a while, and the time is getting closer. We have both been to Austin several times (her mother is from Austin), but of course, we never looked at Austin from a real estate perspective.

We will be in Austin next week, and we want to look at a few rental options. It is still unclear about when we will move, so I think our best option would be to look at multi-apartment complexes. Small rentals will not stay on the market for months, but an apartment complex might have similar apartments open at any give time. Realtors might not talk to us since we don't have a move date. Should I just make appointments with multiple places?

Our neighborhoods of choice would be SoCo, Hyde Park and Travis Heights, but I do not think we can initially afford them. Looking to spend up to $1200 for a small 2 bedroom. The idea is to rent for a year or two and then purchase a place.

Is looking for a place during SXSW a bad move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
I think that looking at larger complexes on your own is the better idea. I would use a realtor if I was looking to rent a house. For complexes it going to depend on what time of year you move due to all the students from UT leaving or coming. As for looking during SXSW I would not do it but if that's the time ya got,you got to make it work. Good luck to ya.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
I just rep'd you for having the name 'Tycho Brahe'.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I would use an apartment locator. There are tons of them and they are free to you. You can go to an office and they will have information on floor plans, amenities and prices so you can narrow down your search before you start looking. They can also recommend areas you might like that you might not find on your own.

I have used them in the past and I find it a very helpful service.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM

21 posts, read 37,326 times
I second this, im using an apartment locator now to move to Austin and she has found more apartment properties than I could have ever found just searching myself online (i just dont have the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I would use an apartment locator. There are tons of them and they are free to you. You can go to an office and they will have information on floor plans, amenities and prices so you can narrow down your search before you start looking. They can also recommend areas you might like that you might not find on your own.

I have used them in the past and I find it a very helpful service.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 AM

242 posts, read 493,390 times
Which apartment locaters are you using? I am lookin at condo.com and austinhomesearch.com

I am assuming most small properties (private homes) will not bother with us if we are not renting right away. I don't want to lie, but I feel like telling them I am looking to move on May 1st instead of the summer. A few random apartments will not give me an exact feel for a neighborhood, but it's better than nothing.

With a $1200 budget for a small 2 bedroom (1 bedroom + small office), what are my best bets? Looking to stay close to downtown.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Just do a search for "apartment locators" and you'll find lots of companies. If you think you're going to be moving near the end of the UT semester or summer time, you can probably wait and look for a private or condo rental then. austinhomesearch.com is the MLS site, so you could enlist the help of a realtor to find you a house or condo when you get a more definitive date.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
With a $1200 budget for a small 2 bedroom (1 bedroom + small office), what are my best bets? Looking to stay close to downtown.
$1200 is a good price range for what you are looking for. You should be able to find something good that is close to downtown. SoCo is definitely doable -- I'd just drive down South Congress or South Lamar and check out some of the complexes. Hyde Park would also be possible, but it will be mostly older units. Looking at austinhomesearch.com, it looks like Travis Heights and even Tarrytown are also possible. It just depends on how nice/new you want the 2br to be. If you are willing to give up a lot of creature comforts for location, $1200 should get you in just about any neighborhood here.

Looking during SXSW isn't too bad, as long as you don't have to pay for a hotel! Weather is nice. Plenty of extra stuff to do in your spare time, lots of it free (just search for it!). Apartments may not be quoting you their best prices, but they definitely won't care too much about showing you a place even though you aren't moving in real soon. They probably do a lot of that during SXSW anyway.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM

372 posts, read 1,148,945 times
I would use Apartment Locator for apartments and a Realtor for leasing a home or condo. Although Apartment Locators are supposed to be licensed Real Estate Agents and might be able to find homes for lease as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
For $1200 just get a house. No noise from people above you, no noise from people beside you, less crime. Houses for lease are listed on MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin