Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 AM

64 posts, read 167,370 times

Advertisements

i'm just curious about this, as we are researching various cities in order to move in the next few years. i am a stay at home mom to 3 kids & my husband works from home now. he is a software engineer. i am interested in Austin, but if he ever lost his current job, would there be plenty of opportunities for him in Austin?

thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 12,453 times
ive been applying to jobs to move to austin and I have seen a lot of them. dunno how competitive the market is, but it seems to have a lot of openings from what i can tell.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
No..not lots of openings. And what openings there are have fierce competition.

I'm a software engineer. My office mate got laid off last year and is only able to find consulting work.
There are jobs here and there but with lots of workers available firms can afford to be picky, very picky.

My advice is to not move unless you have a job with a start date.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My advice is to not move unless you have a job with a start date.
Exactly. Best advice on here today.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

64 posts, read 167,370 times
do you think the fierce competition is due to the current state of the economy in the US, or has it always been this way in Austin?

i have read elsewhere that Austin is a good place for IT jobs...

also, he does have a job now (he works out of our home), so he would technically have a job if we moved. i just might worry if he lost his job for some reason and there was nothing readily available.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
It's always competitive to some degree, but with the current economy reducing the job pool, and all the "top ten" lists that have been drawing people to relocate here, it's hyper-competitive now.

When people say "there are lots of tech jobs in Austin", it's really more like that among the existing jobs in Austin, a high percentage are in the high-tech industries.

There are actually many more "tech jobs" in places like Dallas or Houston, with a lot of them in non-tech Fortune 500 companies. But those huge companies have IT departments bigger than most of the companies in Austin. So there are lots of jobs, a much bigger pool to work with. And since they aren't so often the "flavor of the month" cities, salaries are better and competition is less.

Bottom line, Austin is for people who are willing to take less salary and compete more for jobs -- because they enjoy what the city has to offer. It's a tradeoff.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
This has been covered many times in Austin forums.

AUSTIN IS NOT OVERFLOWING WITH TECH JOBS.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I frequently like to add on this topic that there are many kinds of "tech" jobs.

General IT jobs such as system or network adiministration are more plentiful in markets with lots of "IT" such as Dallas or Houston.

Low end programming such as web or Java are commodity positions and frequently have openings but they are quickly filled by the many people currently looking for work.

More interesting or senior software jobs are what Austin offers different from other cities. The many software companies hire seasoned Java, .NET, C#, C++, database, etc. developers and QA people all the time. Many of these positions are never posted. They are filled by people who have connections to these companies. Find them - and you might see something interesting (and that pays well).

Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
My husband is an embedded software engineer and he started his job a year ago January. It took him eight months to find this position looking long distance.

We know people here recently laid off that are still looking for work. Freescale is still laying people off and some Silicon Valley companies that had an Austin presence closed their offices here. However, Facebook is about to open and office here so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: