Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 111,985 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for some renting options in both area. I am going to be a student at UT and my wife and infant will be living with me.

I have been be to the barton hills area and they look nice to me. However, many current students and friends recommend Far West to me. So can someone tell me the Pros/Cons of each?

Here is what I have so far:
Barton Hills-
Pros: closer to the mall?
near park
closer to school/downtown/SoCo
Cons: more expensive
will need to drive

Far West-
Pros: UT shuttle
cheaper rent
Cons: Need to go farther for shopping/school/downtown/SoCo
More student population?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM

326 posts, read 824,070 times
I can't really comment on Barton Hills, but Far West is very family friendly. Lots of parks, nearby preschools/daycare and general amenities. I think it would be a nice, cosy and easy place to look after a new baby. As I recall, there are a lot of sidewalks too so you could take the baby for a walk.

There are apartments in that area that aren't all students, although I suppose they will take you further away from the UT shuttle - something you will have to think about.

I live pretty near the area so feel free to PM if any other questions

Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I would choose to live in Far West. The shuttle to UT is a big advantage. There is a great HEB grocery store on Far West Blvd. also several pharmacies and restaurants and a public library as well as in the neighborhood. You would be close to Northcross Mall and all the shopping centers around it. Easy access to Bull Creek Park, Mt. Bonnell Park, and FM 2222 takes you right out to the lake. Far West is a much better neighborhood, lower crime. I believe the outdoor recreation areas at the Dell Jewish Community Center and Mesa Community Church are open to the public, both are adjacent to Far West Blvd.

Other then some of the high priced residential areas, much of Barton Hills especially the area along South Lamar Blvd. is pretty seedy. There are several small grocery stores but no large ones.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Excuse me, but Barton Hills is NOT "seedy". Sheesh! When the heck was the last time you were in Barton Hills? Or are you confusing it with some other areas that are along South Lamar closer to downtown? (And those are going upscale in a hurry, actually.)

As for grocery stores, you have Sun Harvest and, just five minutes away by car (across the Ben White/South Lamar intersection), Central Market, and Randall's (which has relatively recently been upgraded). If you need a larger grocery store than those, you're too demanding. There's shopping and movie theaters and restaurants within walking/biking distance, and the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Zilker Park are right there. Five minutes (ten, tops) from downtown. 290/71 takes you to the Hill Country, and it's a quick hop to the lakes.

Far Hills is also quite nice, and both have an "Austin vibe", though slightly different. It, too, has its
"high-priced residential areas", but some of it is affordable for students.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
Depends on what you want, but I would say Barton Hills by a long way. Much closer proximity to downtown, Barton Springs, Zilker Park, South Congress and many of the things that make Austin distinctive. Far West is okay in the daytime, but after 6pm., can you spell NOWHERE? And South Lamar seedy - maybe if you think pedestrian life, by far the best restaurant in Austin - Uchi, great BBQ at Artz's Rib House, the most fun dance hall in Austin - the Broken Spoke - the best food trailers in the city - Odd Duck farm to trailer and Gourdough's, one of Austin's best locavore restaurants - Olivia make for seediness. If I had to wheel an infant around (perish the thought), I would much rather wheel it around the boutiques and coffee-shops of South Lamar than the strip mall horror and generic apartments of Far West. There is also nothing like Zilker Park north of the river. Barton Hills will be more expensive, but there are very good reasons for that. That said, if you qualify for married student housing - before they knock it all down - on Lake Austin Boulevard - cheap, friendly, right on the river, much closer to campus and downtown than either Barton Hills or Far West, and in one of the most desirable residential neighborhoods in Austin, I would jump at that!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 111,985 times
I appreciate the responses everyone. Didnt know it'd be such a split decision.

@hominatx, I tried searching for married student housing and I cant find anything. May be they've closed down...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Oh no, married student housing at UT still exists. Great community!

Division of Housing and Food Service - University Apartments

Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Some good responses, even if they do seem contradictory at times. Here's my take (lived in Far West are for 10 years after college):

Although I wouldn't call it "seedy", CptnRn is right that there will be more crime around Barton Hills (at least in the vicinity), whereas Far West will be quieter and safer. Why? Because homeinatx is also right, Far West doesn't have any nightlife. The Barton Hills area has live music clubs, bars, etc... places like the Alamo drafthouse, Saxon Pub, Highball (adult bowling alley), etc. Those things, along with all the festivals going on at Zilker, bring people in to the neighborhood from other parts of the city -- it's a destination. With that will come some additional crime. But you'd have your entertainment right there.

Far West is not really a destination. The people who are there are the people who live there. But it's a bit more practical IMO, as there are grocery stores much closer (easy walk to a great HEB, or the Randalls on Mesa, and there is a Sun Harvest in Allandale which is actually closer I think than the South Sun Harvest is to Barton Hills). There are also banks, restaurants, library, post office, community centers, other retail and parks within easy walking distance. There is a bunch of medical offices on Far West -- including Austin Regional Clinic (specialty in Pediatrics and Family care). So you could have your pediatrician in walking distance, too.

But the biggest factor favoring Far West, IMO, is the UT Shuttle. That cannot be emphasized enough. If you are going to campus 4-5 days a week, it makes a HUGE difference. Without the shuttle, you'd either have to drive or take the city bus from Barton Hills. And you don't want to drive -- parking at UT is nightmarish and expensive. You could easily spend 15-20 minutes searching for a parking space that will still be a 15-20 minute walk to your class. If you lived in Far West, you'd never have to drive to campus.

So I guess it comes down to this: Do you want to live in a neighborhood where the entertainment is right there but you may have to drive to school, or live in a quieter neighborhood where you'd have to drive to entertainment but not to classes?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
South Lamar Blvd. is one of the ugliest streets in Austin, it is a sea of asphalt and run down old shopping centers including many industrial buildings. Yes, a lot of the area is seedy. Some of the ugliest run down apartment complexes in the City are in this area.

As I said previously there are some very nice over priced residential areas in Barton Hills, but it is doubtful a young student family can afford to rent any of those.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
The South Sun Harvest is walking distance from our home in Barton Hills; that I know because I did it when it was Sun Harvest, and before that when it was Whole Foods. The entrance to the Barton Creek Greenbelt was across the street and down the hill - my husband and daughter frequently walked down the Green Belt to Barton Springs Road for Sunday brunch at one of the restaurants (usually Good Eats) when we lived there. The bank (when I used a bank - mostly I use credit unions) was also walking distance, as was a movie theater, Half Price Books, Brodie Oaks Shopping Center with stores and restaurants, Alligator Grill, etc. It depends, of course, on which part of the Barton Hills area you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin