Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfliquid View Post
OMG! Is that even possible?
Yep things are at a whole new level of suck. Some of these new places literally shake when someone across the hall close their doors they're built so poorly. You can hear conversations of people above you below you and side to side. Think giant KB home split 12 times+. Some places are so poorly insulated electricity bills on a one bedroom are $300 in the summer.

Sound transmission codes in the International Building Code that Austin uses? Who needs them? Austin City Council passed omissions to the IBC omitting all the sound transmission building codes.

For the people in houses saying 'who cares not my problem' well think again. Some of these complexes are so monumentally poorly built that they're on the Section 8 countdown. Ever seen what a large apartment complex going section 8 near a neighborhood does? Its not pretty.

Last edited by orbius; 04-17-2010 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM

26 posts, read 82,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Yep things are at a whole new level of suck. Some of these new places literally shake when someone across the hall close their doors they're built so poorly. You can hear conversations of people above you below you and side to side. Think giant KB home split 12 times+. Some places are so poorly insulated electricity bills on a one bedroom are $300 in the summer.

Sound transmission codes in the International Building Code that Austin uses? Who needs them? Austin City Council passed omissions to the IBC omitting all the sound transmission building codes.

For the people in houses saying 'who cares not my problem' well think again. Some of these complexes are so monumentally poorly built that they're on the Section 8 countdown. Ever seen what a large apartment complex going section 8 near a neighborhood does? Its not pretty.
I'm going to rethink moving right now. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars a month and get the same poor construction that I deal with now and a huge electric bill on top of that. My electric right now is $40/mo.

I've watched a few new complexes being built over the past several months and I'm amazed that these three story buildings are just 2x4's with some particle board on the outside covered with siding, and drywall on the inside. I guess the high monthly rent is to pay for the amenities, the pretty landscaping, and the fancy sign with the over-the-top made-up name at the main gate--like "Luxury Platinum Gable Springs at the Avenue of Trees Ranch."

Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfliquid View Post
I'm going to rethink moving right now. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars a month and get the same poor construction that I deal with now and a huge electric bill on top of that. My electric right now is $40/mo.

I've watched a few new complexes being built over the past several months and I'm amazed that these three story buildings are just 2x4's with some particle board on the outside covered with siding, and drywall on the inside. I guess the high monthly rent is to pay for the amenities, the pretty landscaping, and the fancy sign with the over-the-top made-up name at the main gate--like "Luxury Platinum Gable Springs at the Avenue of Trees Ranch."
Anything built recently is going to be very energy efficient. Even the more economically constructed dwellings. Mostly in Austin it's the stuff built in the 1980s that was the worse quality.

Just be a smart shopper and make a good decision when choosing your place. It's really not complicated. Any Class A apartment is going to be very efficient.

Steve

Steve

Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
One Texas city has to have the highest rent in Texas. It may as well be the capital.

It's still a relatively inexpensive place to rent or buy property on the whole.
Relative to... NYC or London, perhaps. There is a double whammy of higher cost of living yet lower salaries than other Texas cities.

Last edited by nomore07; 04-17-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Anything built recently is going to be very energy efficient. Even the more economically constructed dwellings. Mostly in Austin it's the stuff built in the 1980s that was the worse quality.

Just be a smart shopper and make a good decision when choosing your place. It's really not complicated. Any Class A apartment is going to be very efficient.

Steve

Steve
The City of Austin is just now starting to enforce code in some downtown homes that have been obviously out of code for 30+ years. So even where code exists they havent been enforced. What makes you confident to say that any of the energy efficiency codes in apartments built in the last 10 years were enforced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: