Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times

Advertisements

http://www.kvue.com/home/Playboy-mag...-91147904.html

Hmm... that 10% admissions law passed a few years ago was supposed to improve academic performance, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Some advertising that is actually true. lol. Good job!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:12 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
What a joke. The entire news story says:

Quote:
Playboy Magazine has named the University of Texas at Austin the number one party school in America.

The decision was made by the magazine’s editors with input from campus representatives, models, photographers and students.

Playboy now plans to head to Austin April 22nd to host a party at a bar near campus where playmates will reportedly mingle with students.
Wow, sounds like a super rigorous scientific analysis was conducted. More than likely, Playboy decided first where they thought a good place would be to promote a winner, then picked the winner based on that marketing decision. So Austin makes a lot more since than most other college towns, regardless of the statistics that might be available.

I'm not saying they don't party a lot at UT, it's simply a stupid news story, not even worthy of being called news.

Steve

Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 PM

I think it is representative of the decadence that goes on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What a joke. The entire news story says:

Wow, sounds like a super rigorous scientific analysis was conducted. More than likely, Playboy decided first where they thought a good place would be to promote a winner, then picked the winner based on that marketing decision. So Austin makes a lot more since than most other college towns, regardless of the statistics that might be available.

I'm not saying they don't party a lot at UT, it's simply a stupid news story, not even worthy of being called news.

Steve

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I think it is representative of the decadence that goes on there.
Decadence? Oh yes, it's a modern day Sodom...

What cracks me up is that the editors claim they got some of their info from school representatives.

I never really saw a big difference when it came to partying from the schools I went to: Oregon, Tennessee, and Southern Cal. Only one was in the rain, one in the humidity, and one in the smog.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Exactly my point. It's marketing but it's true this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Decadence? Oh yes, it's a modern day Sodom...

What cracks me up is that the editors got some of their info from school representatives.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Exactly my point. It's marketing but it's true this time.
A little overdramatic aren't you? I highly doubt the Lord is gonna tear down the Tower. UT is no different than most colleges out there. If kids don't want partying, they should check out Seminaries.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 AM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
I seriously doubt UT has better parties than every single school out there. UT is a top 50 school with a strong engineering program.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Playboy magazine is bull**** anyway. Everyone knows that the big party school is the former and inaptly named Southwest Texas State University, now Texas State. Texas Tech, too (though one must pity the whole prospect of trying to party in Lubbock). I'd also be willing to bet that Southern Meth is pretty decadent(though the partiers are no doubt well-heeled).

Old 04-24-2010, 02:07 PM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Playboy magazine is bull**** anyway. Everyone knows that the big party school is the former and inaptly named Southwest Texas State University, now Texas State. Texas Tech, too (though one must pity the whole prospect of trying to party in Lubbock). I'd also be willing to bet that Southern Meth is pretty decadent(though the partiers are no doubt well-heeled).
I lived in San Marcos and knew quite a few people who went to Texas State. While it is a good school if you want to drink a lot, I wouldn't call it a party school relative to other schools. Hell, man, I knew quite a few students there that commuted to class.

You just have a bunch of kids that Texas State who are new to the college experience so they exaggerate about drinking. They don't realize that other schools like UT and A&M drink just as much as they do.

I've never heard anything about SMU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin