Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But it's easier being open minded about what others should settle for when you're living in an "upper class white community".
And as I said, we didn't move from an "upper class white community". My kids go to school with a decent mix of various ethnic backgrounds, currently.

Quote:
The elementary school here is ranked 5 out of 10 here--if I want my daughter to have a better education better than that I'm racist? So be it.
No, that's not what you said. That statement doesn't make you a racist - and I said, I wasn't jumping to label you a racist. Based on ratings alone, I too wouldn't choose to send my child to a 5 out of 10 (whatever that means) rated school. Nor would I choose to send my child to a TEA rated "unacceptable" school. All you said before was that you didn't want your child to be in the minority. That's a different statement, you have to admit. There is a difference, between labeling someone a racist - which I didn't do - and addressing a prejudiced/racial driven statement. Regarding school and your wanting to leave - before it was based on the ethnic makeup of the area - not the quality of education provided.

Quote:
When half the class is made up of children who's parents only speak Spanish, or to whom English is a second language--do you think that might slow the rest of the class down? How fair is that to my daughter? How far will that make her fall behind your kids?
My kids will excel regardless of the school's ethnic dynamic OR rating system. *I* teach my children, I don't put the responsibility solely on the educational system. What's introduced in school, is reinforced, developed and built upon at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
If you're really worried about it...homeschool your kids.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
That is also NOT typical of most suburban areas and it would be ludicrous to say it is. If there weren't so many people willing to drive to Dell from all over the metro area and clog the freeways daily, then they wouldn't have located there in the first place. I can guarantee you that it is only a small minority that can get to work there without using a car.

You don't need to take such offense and resort to attacks on me because you disagree with me. You're free to live wherever you want and do whatever you want. If you're want to argue what I've said then at least provide some substantiative evidence for the claims you're making.
Hey, in 50 years - when we are in an eternal oil drought - we will be the people everyone "wishes they would have listened to." While millions will be trying to figure out how they're going to get to and from work, how they are going to sell their home and how they can continue to survive without reliable transpo, I'll be living in a central "downtown" area, close to a rail line and walking distance to food, groceries and entertainment.

Hey, NYC will probably be the only city capable of dealing with an oil drought.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 20,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
I giggled at this - I'm a born and bred Yankee. Born in Boston, and with the exception of college and a year in Ireland, lived all of my (32) years in MA and RI until last June when we moved to Austin. I'm about as Yankee as you get.

You miss decent manners...in New England?? My husband (another born and bred New England Yankee) talk all the time about how great and friendly the people are here. One of the reasons we LEFT New England (voluntarily, btw, not due to a job location) was because we were sick of the negative attitudes, complaining, and general unfriendliness. Texans are so warm and welcoming!

Yes, I can see what you are saying with missing opinion (Texans seem too polite to really debate politics or religion) and that so many Texans seem to think Texas is the end all and be all of civilization. I have met many people who consider "traveling" to be going between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, and who look at me sort of blankly when I say I grew up in Rhode Island, went to college in Washington DC, and lived in Europe. So I will grant you those points.

But decent manners? I think Texas has the market cornered on that.
I think of "Yankee" as those in your newly adopted state do, i.e. North of the Mason Dixon.
People in the Midwest (where I grew up) and in NYC, where I lived for 6 years are infinitly more curteous and polite than most Texans.
I work for a company based in Taunton, MA. The owners are quick, funny, and honest--they keep me on my toes.
"Polite" in Texas usually means polite to your face. Guess I prefer my lumps up-front.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyface View Post
People in the Midwest (where I grew up) and in NYC, where I lived for 6 years are infinitly more curteous and polite than most Texans.I work for a company based in Taunton, MA. The owners are quick, funny, and honest--they keep me on my toes.
"Polite" in Texas usually means polite to your face. Guess I prefer my lumps up-front.
I guess how a person defines "polite" depends on preference. I've been to NYC several times and consider most people there to be rude and tacky. Then again, "polite," to me, is when someone says, "Thank you," after speaking with someone over the phone. I don't consider pushing someone out of your way because you're "in a rush" to be "polite." I also don't appreciate it when a customer service representative hangs up on me with no response after I thank them for their time. In fact, I've had people say, "What?" when I said "Thank you." I also do not appreciate the scolding looks on a person from the north when I hold the door open for someone.

I guess I'm old southern when it comes to being "polite."

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
I guess how a person defines "polite" depends on preference. I've been to NYC several times and consider most people there to be rude and tacky. Then again, "polite," to me, is when someone says, "Thank you," after speaking with someone over the phone. I don't consider pushing someone out of your way because you're "in a rush" to be "polite." I also don't appreciate it when a customer service representative hangs up on me with no response after I thank them for their time. In fact, I've had people say, "What?" when I said "Thank you." I also do not appreciate the scolding looks on a person from the north when I hold the door open for someone.

I guess I'm old southern when it comes to being "polite."
Not my north, Please be specific when you dog the north....The pac north is nothing like that other north. We just drink more Coffee than BBQ. Thats about the only difference I can see. That and we don't tail gate like crazy.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 20,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
And as I said, we didn't move from an "upper class white community". My kids go to school with a decent mix of various ethnic backgrounds, currently.

No, that's not what you said. That statement doesn't make you a racist - and I said, I wasn't jumping to label you a racist. Based on ratings alone, I too wouldn't choose to send my child to a 5 out of 10 (whatever that means) rated school. Nor would I choose to send my child to a TEA rated "unacceptable" school. All you said before was that you didn't want your child to be in the minority. That's a different statement, you have to admit. There is a difference, between labeling someone a racist - which I didn't do - and addressing a prejudiced/racial driven statement. Regarding school and your wanting to leave - before it was based on the ethnic makeup of the area - not the quality of education provided.

My kids will excel regardless of the school's ethnic dynamic OR rating system. *I* teach my children, I don't put the responsibility solely on the educational system. What's introduced in school, is reinforced, developed and built upon at home.
Oh, I know, you didn't move FROM an affluent community, but you chose to move TO one, right?

I lived here before I had children, and to be honest, as all of us with kids know, you just don't think about these things BEFORE you have kids, besides, I thought we'd be out of here by now.

My husband in in a rigorous graduate program at UT where he IS in the "minority". This majority is of Asians, Indians, and Arabs scored above the 90th percentile on the national entrance exam--in a second language! Your kids probably go to school with his peers kids. These are not the kids that my daughter would go to school with should she attend our local school. They are not operating at my kid's level-by a long shot.

I know you're going to compensate for all your kid's teacher's failings, and I'd probably feel comfortable if I were in your shoes, too. But can you honestly say that your kids would do just as well in a class of kids who's parents are recent immigrants and only speak Spanish?

I think this "discussion" can actually be helpful to people looking at Austin from other places---live in Austin or in the northern suburbs if you have:

-graduated from college
-read books
-don't often use phrases like, "Well, we prayed Travis would win that game, but they lost!"
-have ever lived outside the state's borders

Believe me, DH and I KNOW we're the ones in the wrong place. And to cop an old Texas line "we weren't born here, but we're gettin out as fast as we can!"

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Not my north, Please be specific when you dog the north....The pac north is nothing like that other north.
Oh, that is the PacNW, and nobody thinks that is what you mean when you say 'North' . Generally speaking, I think most people say North when they mean Northeast.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
...can you honestly say that your kids would do just as well in a class of kids who's parents are recent immigrants and only speak Spanish?
I don't have kids, but I've taught every level from K through grad school and hope I can jump in on this discussion. I don't think the demographics of a classroom have ANYTHING to do with the quality of education, other than some correlations between poverty, crime, and bad schools. But the language thing can be turned into a positive factor in a class with a good teacher, a good mix of students and a critical mass of involved caring parents. Schools don't automatically become bad because of a large number of ESL students. Some of the most exemplary schools in the nation are in multi-lingual neighborhoods in Los Angeles and New York.
Quote:
I think this "discussion" can actually be helpful to people looking at Austin from other places---live in Austin or in the northern suburbs if you have:

-graduated from college
-read books
-don't often use phrases like, "Well, we prayed Travis would win that game, but they lost!"
-have ever lived outside the state's borders
Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Sounds like a lot of grammatically garbled anti-Texas stereotypes. I'm an elitist too, but I try to hide it!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I asked Hutto ISD about it once, and they don't blend classrooms with English/non English speaking. They split them so there aren't any issues (language wise) that slow down the classroom learning for English only speakers. I don't know if they do that in Austin, but just throwing in my 2 cents. And as for "white" kids (adults, too)...In Texas, they are a minority now anyway. My neighbor taught in Spring ISD (Not one of the good schools either) and said the biggest problem the ESL kids have, is that their parents are not involved with them. Ie, helping with homework, encouraging them to speak english outside of the home, reading to them...And this is by no means all of them, and I'm not only talking about Spanish speakers either. I think Jenbar is right to teach her kids at home as well. I'll do the same. It's not entirely a racial issue.
I haven't met a yankee I didn't like...yet.
I didn't understand that post either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin