Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times

Advertisements

Things is gettin' chippy 'round here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Can you recommend some places to drive to and check out to get a good "feel" for Austin? And also, can you recommend a good real estate agent? Someone who knows Austin pretty well and won't try to pressure us into a "cookie cutter" house?
I have a RE agent who I've worked with and who I like, I'd be happy to send it to you if you send me a PM. In terms of where to drive around, I'd start south, take 35 to 290 West to Dripping Springs, then back to Circle C, Legend Oaks, Western Oaks, Travis Country. Go up Mopac (loop 1) to Tarrytown, Clarksville, Enfield and Brykerwoods. Up to Shoal Creek, Allandale, Northwest Hills, Great Hills, Round Rock, Leander and Cedar Park. Out 620 to Steiner and the lake. Down 2222 to Westlake. Then have a beer.

Also, I've heard the term "Big Box" as in "big box stores" and "big box suburbs". What does that mean, exactly? At first, I thought everyone in Texas really liked to buy boxes or something!

Ha! Big Box stores are Target, Walmart, etc....stores whose structural shape look big and square like 'big boxes'!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
I think that loveroses brings up a great point about the "suburbs" of Austin, and how they have existed for 100's of years as cities on their own. So, not sure they really qualify as a true "suburb" of Austin ... AND I guess I am probably being pointed at as the "hypersensitive RR person" - but in my defense, I have received lots of positive rep for my comments regarding Harvester's snobbish central Austin elitism

Like it or not, Pflugerville, RR, etc. may have been towns for 100s of years, but they are *now* Austin suburbs. As for them being 'big box' suburbs, well, they are. If you need a Target, a Lowes, and so on, that's where you'll find them. That's not a value judgement, that's the reality.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM

98 posts, read 485,940 times
Most burbs existed for generations before being swallowed/abutted by major cities. Austin(Waterloo) was here first and most of those burbs were farms where the population built up and became centralized around things like the general store or the mill...

They all "went to town" in Austin though.

I've got your back Harvester
We are Austin. You will submit. You will be assimilated. All power to the Host Body!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times
They sort of ARE Austin suburbs, I guess - but really, they don't depend on on Austin for services or employment. They would, and have, existed without Austin.

The definition of suburb, as defined by Answers.com business & real estate dictionary :

Quote:
A town or unincorporated developed area in close proximity to a city. Suburbs, largely residential, are often dependent on the city for employment and support services; generally characterized by low-density development relative to the city.
Really, it's all just part of Austin's metropolitan area.

By the way, I have been to Costco, Lowe's, Home Depot, Khols, Target ... even a Walmart - all with Austin addresses.

Why would anyone assume your comments were, or were not a value judgement? American's value these stores, which is why they are in business, doing well, and multiplying. I can't and won't believe that even Mr. Die-Hard Central Austin hasn't stepped a foot in one or more of these stores, at some point, and likely even came out with a purchase. Or two.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times
Quote:
Most burbs existed for generations before being swallowed/abutted by major cities. Austin(Waterloo) was here first and most of those burbs were farms where the population built up and became centralized around things like the general store or the mill...

They all "went to town" in Austin though.
Round Rock didn't become a "bedroom community" to Austin until the 1970's...

Handbook of Texas Online:

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM

98 posts, read 485,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
They sort of ARE Austin suburbs, I guess - but really, they don't depend on on Austin for services or employment. They would, and have, existed without Austin.

The definition of suburb, as defined by Answers.com business & real estate dictionary :

Really, it's all just part of Austin's metropolitan area.
By the way, I have been to Costco, Lowe's, Home Depot, Khols, Target ... even a Walmart - all with Austin addresses.

[/quote]

They are, or at least were from the outset, almost wholely dependant on Austin for their employees though and before the tech boom they were either true burbs or very small communities depending on which town you are talking about. Dell could not have started had IBM and TI not been in Austin and would not have lasted had it not fed off of UT for its eager and cheap workforce. The others followed with the same plans of a tech center based around Austin. They didn't sit in an office and think..."hey lets move to Georgetown I hear its great"...more like "we want to be in the silicon hills so what town around Austin will give us the best deal?" And when they did attract employees from other areas the companies more often sold it on the idea of "living in Austin" or "just outside Austin".

-I love independant businesses but understand that all things have their time and in a market economy reliability and price are all that matters to the consumer. I don't know many blacksmiths or coopers anymore either. You can't spite them for having a good business strategy. They are tacky though and when you drive through the burbs on the highway all you see is outlets and chain stores. Why get off and explore a town if all you see are the same things you have at home. You are right, these "little towns" have colorful histories... that are being plowed down by big ugly boxes.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
I don't get all the arguments about the city of Austin verses the suburbs. I thought this was the town of live and let live? There are SO MANY threads where this argument is brought up. I just don't get it. Everyone has different needs. What's good for a 24 year old single person is not always good for an older couple trying to raise a family, or for a person who has horses. Why not just live and let live...like "Austin" is so famous for?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Hi Jazz ~ have you decided to move to Austin?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Hi Jazz ~ have you decided to move to Austin?
We are moving as soon as the house sells. Why do you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin