Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
so we can't depend on electric or bio-fueled cars any more than we can depend on oil. At some point we have to wake up and realize that our lifestyle is unsustainable and we have to stop building as if cars will be the dominant form of transportation for the next century.
I'm thinking solar power here. Of course it can be done, it's just a matter of making the technology affordable and profitable(maybe that's slightly over-simplified). I heard someone talking somewhere on this forum about the difference between "adjustment" and "correction". The oil crisis will surely be a correction. I'm afraid that then and only then, will most people make the personal changes necessary to move into another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,694 times
I think the whole premise behind our country is the "live and let live" attitude. That is what I liked about listening to everyone post about Austin's welcoming attitude.

I understand how change is happening in Austin that people disagree with. It's happening in my neighborhood too and I hate it personally, but that is the whole thing about having a free market and capitalism. People are free to move where they want to. No builder is going to build where people won't buy. I guess what I'm saying is that change is ineviditable. We can embrace that change or rail against it. In the end things will still change.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I understand how change is happening in Austin that people disagree with. It's happening in my neighborhood too and I hate it personally, but that is the whole thing about having a free market and capitalism.
In places that aren't changing, people fight about wanting change. People always disagree, we all have different preferences and thank god we all have different choices, as you pointed out. The free market system gives us many options, although it does tend to encourage growth over conservation and capitalism tends to be blind to non-capitalized transaction costs. For example, I want to pay taxes for other people's kids to go to school because I believe that I'll live in a better world if more people are educated. I want gas taxes to be high because I believe that the cost of driving is much higher environmentally, politically and socially than is reflected in the market price for fuel.

Moderator cut: OT

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-14-2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: I think your 3 minutes was right on....

Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that change is ineviditable. We can embrace that change or rail against it. In the end things will still change.
Your right, change is inevitable. But that doesn't always make it right. Or sustainable. And I see no reason whatsoever to embrace change that I feel is counterproductive to 21st century needs and concerns. I think what most reasonable people want, is smart change. The kind of change that gives more people more options without losing the traditions or characteristics that make a region unique. I'm not opposed to all suburbs or new housing, but I think the creeping homogeneity I'm seeing across America is really disturbing...and I will continue to rail against it at the risk of sounding like an elitist ogre

Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Your right, change is inevitable. But that doesn't always make it right. Or sustainable. And I see no reason whatsoever to embrace change that I feel is counterproductive to 21st century needs and concerns. I think what most reasonable people want, is smart change. The kind of change that gives more people more options without losing the traditions or characteristics that make a region unique. I'm not opposed to all suburbs or new housing, but I think the creeping homogeneity I'm seeing across America is really disturbing...and I will continue to rail against it at the risk of sounding like an elitist ogre
We all have a right to our opinions! I agree, I don't like what's going on here (I'm in Nor Cal) locally either. Once you could hear the coyotes and now they are all gone because of the development of houses. The roads cannot accomodate the extra people...it's a mess. Same thing all cities seem to battle.

The thing about America is we can move where we want...locals may not like it, but unless you put a fence around your little area...it's going to happen eventually. I speak from one whose town has been invaded!

Different people like different things and while I think it's awesome to express your individual opinion about what you like I think we should stop short of attacking someone else for their opinions when it is against our own personal thoughts.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I think we should stop short of attacking someone else for their opinions when it is against our own personal thoughts.
I'm sorry if you or anyone else feels personally attacked. That's is certainly not my intention. I'm a really nice guy

But I have strong opinions as well. And believe me, I'm much easier to deal with on a forum like this than in person( I can talk much faster than I can type)...ask my wife

Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
so, here I go off topic again...but anyone hear about the forming depression near northern mexico/south texas? If it stays that weak, we'll probably see nothing of it though. Well, we wouldn't anyway...too far south. It's just interesting because nothings come up that way in many years. (But I would put this in the category of "Why not to move to S. Texas)

Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
...anyone hear about the forming depression near northern mexico/south texas?
...(But I would put this in the category of "Why not to move to S. Texas)
And for me it's a reason to move here. I absolutely LOVE the tropical rains.

Can't wait for it to get here. Sorry to be conflicting with your wishes. Maybe it can rain on me and you can have sunshine, then we both win.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
Don't get me wrong....I love the storms. When I was a teenager in Clear Lake (years when we seemed to have lots of them) We would go outside to watch it (mostly depressions and tropical storms). We also did some crazy things. One of my friends made up a surfing game with a piece of plywood. She would stand on the board in ankle deep water and the wind would blow you along. Kinda goofy I know, but what else are teenagers gonna do....Or defy authority and go outside during the eye. Luckily, we were too smart to go to the beach.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Many years ago in Friendswood, when I was just a lad, we would use the wooden bridge (that usually went across our ditch) as a raft. We would float around the yard and play Huckleberry Finn or whatever...never could figure out why my parents did not think the flooding was fun...it never got in our house while we lived there, but real close a few times (within inches) .

As the water receeded, the big kids would water ski in the ditch, pulled by a pickup in the (slightly underwater) road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin