Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM

42 posts, read 141,003 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds crazy, but we have a small Yorkie and when we return home before I can get the door unlocked he scratches at the door and will not stop until the door is opened. The paint is peeling and this is new construction. I tried sprayong "OFF" but that doesn't work an am unable to think of anything else.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,470 times
crate him

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
I also have a Yorkie and had the hardest time crating him (i've crated other dogs). I finally got the Power Pet door and it has changed my life! Noe he can come and go as he pleases and I don't have to worry about anything else getting in - including hot/cold air. I resisted for a while because of the price, but I found it at Sams for $100 less than the pet stores and it was worth every penny!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM

42 posts, read 141,003 times
My Yorkie isn't trying to get outside he is so happy that I am home that he scratches the door and the paint is peeling. He does this in the car - the scratching on the windows - as soon as I stop especially if he recognises a place that we've been to before like McDonald's, the cleaners, Post Office etc. I will never crate him as he never messes in the house, except the scratching on the door when I come home.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
If you can't convince him to scratch something else (scratching posts are good for dogs as well as cats) then you should discourage him from scratching the doors by putting either foil on it, or by putting something sticky on the door that will aggravate his paws and make him not want to scratch there.

Scratching is a way for your dog to release nervous energy. He is ALWAYS going to scratch. So instead try to convince him not to scratch the door (a negative) and convince him to scratch something else (a positive).

Trying to come up with ways to stop the scratching all together is the wrong way to go. It just will never happen.

Put foil or something sticky on the door, like double sided tape. Then put a scratching post or something similar next to where he always scratches. He will begin to move to the post and away from the door. Make sure to encourage him. And if you can get one of those scratching posts that has a bowl at the top, put a treat in there. Then he will be curious about the post and the scratching will happen naturally as he tries to figure out how to acquire the treat.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:45 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,346 times
I agree with the double sided tape. A trainer at petsmart told me about that for another purpose but the theory is the same.
Also, you could try putting one of those decorative brass door plates, mounted inside and sideways if it will fit. Then he will be scratching that instead. and they are slippery, so it may discourage it also. We put some metal flashing on our door frame on the outsided rear door for the same reason (but it is ugly) the doorplate will have a better asthetic

Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 30,391 times
Default Scratcher

You might want to try using a pressure sensitive pad on the door hooked up to a little compressed air or an air horn to startle the dog. You would not have to be an engineer to figgure out how to build it, and it is safe and humane. Going to make the door a bit unsightly for a short time as you retrain your dog, but thats all a part of having a pet.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
I would either crate train him or consult with a dog trainer. They can do wonders in minutes.

If you train him on your own, I'd think it would be a two person job, one on the inside, ultimately helping him learn to sit and wait until you say "free", which is permission to get up and greet you. I believe you'd take this in small steps, teaching him to go to, sit and wait on a mat ("place") with door clearance, letting him hear you approach, then putting the key in but not coming in, turning the handle but not coming in, etc., teaching him to get used to waiting at each step until you finally enter, and then waiting for the "free" command. Small bits of treats paired with verbal praise for staying on his "place" at each step are his reward during the training process.

Regarding the crate, my puppy loves his. It's never treated like or thought of as a punishment, and going into the crate is always followed by a treat or verbal praise. He's very active, but sometimes, he chooses to be in there. When I leave, I just say "kennel", and he goes on his own and lays down for a nap. It seems calming. Ours is the black metal, open grid kind, so he can see all around if he wants and gets plenty of ventilation.

Last edited by capcat; 04-23-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Have you tried reasoning with it? You could refuse to enter until it stops scratching. Stand on the other side of the door and yell through the door:

"OK, I'm not coming in until you stop scratching". ... "You're still scratching ...I'm not coming in"

"I feel as if I'm not being heard. Please stop scratching. It hurts the paint".

"When you scratch on the door and won't stop, it makes me feel unappreciated. I'm starting to feel angry"

"OK, we can do this all day. You have to stop scratching before I come in".

Make sure you have plenty of water and some chex mix so you can hold out for at least an hour sitting with your back against the door, yelling over your left shoulder. Once he hears the authority and gritty determination in your voice and realizes you won't give in, he will stop scratching and you can enter victorious, and reassert your alpha dominance by showing your teeth and snarling.

After about 5 days of this, he'll be a changed animal.

It's worth a try.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Have you tried reasoning with it? You could refuse to enter until it stops scratching. Stand on the other side of the door and yell through the door:

"OK, I'm not coming in until you stop scratching". ... "You're still scratching ...I'm not coming in"

"I feel as if I'm not being heard. Please stop scratching. It hurts the paint".

"When you scratch on the door and won't stop, it makes me feel unappreciated. I'm starting to feel angry"

"OK, we can do this all day. You have to stop scratching before I come in".

Make sure you have plenty of water and some chex mix so you can hold out for at least an hour sitting with your back against the door, yelling over your left shoulder. Once he hears the authority and gritty determination in your voice and realizes you won't give in, he will stop scratching and you can enter victorious, and reassert your alpha dominance by showing your teeth and snarling.

After about 5 days of this, he'll be a changed animal.

It's worth a try.
Are you making fun? Yes, yes you are.
Be sure to carry some identification on you if you try the above method, to show the police when they arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: