Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,615 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be moving to Austin soon. I have relatives that live in Steiner Ranch, but we've always lived in older houses more like what you would find in the Crestview/Brentwood area. We'd prefer to live in an older house/neighborhood and the north central price tag suits us.

My relatives drove us around Crestview/Brentwood when we came down last Fall and it looked fine. Maybe a little strange at night. Just being honest, I was a little creeped out, but maybe just because it's a strange place to us. And I guess I've seen cleaner old neighborhoods.

My relatives really want us to move out to Steiner Ranch and have mentioned that the Crestview/Brentwood area has had a lot of burglaries lately.

We are early 30's. No kids, but we plan to have kids.

So, what do you think forum? Is Crestview/Brentwood safe? Have there been a lot of burglaries? Would we need an alarm system? Should we move to the suburbs? Am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 03:08 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
I think you should consider renting first in Crestview/Brentwood to see if it suits you. You also might explore a bit and find some other Central Austin neighborhoods that may be more to your liking.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, Crestview/ Brentwood is safe! With the down economy there have been more break-ins all over Austin (and I bet in Steiner Ranch too!), there is nothing uniquely "unsafe" about the area. It is a great neighborhood. There is a very active parent's group at Brentwood Elementary who is working to make it a stronger school. There is a quite of mix of incomes in the area (not folks who own single-family houses but via the apartments). If you are lucky, CaptRN will be by with some detailed crime stats. Crestview and Brentwood do not have the super-clean, HOA enforced sterility of Steiner Ranch. Some people love Steiner Ranch. I practically have a nervous breakdown every time I'm out there.

In the same basic area but slightly more suburban in feel is Allandale. The elementary school (Gullet) is exemplary. You are bit closer to NW pool and park and the lots tend to be bigger and the homes better constructed. But there are many fine houses that have been re-done in Crestview. Homes there have appreciated nicely over the last decade.

Why don't you rent a house in Crestview/Brentwood for 6 months or a year. That should give you a real feel for the neighborhood and Steiner Ranch will still be there if it turns out that it is a better fit.

Brentwood Neighborhood Association
Crestview Neighborhood Association
The Allandale Reporter

Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Crestview/Brentwood and Steiner Ranch are like two different worlds. I was surprised at the thread title, comparing the two. What your relatives prefer/fear is likely very different than yours. I'd say their fears are unfounded, but I don't know the stats.

I think Crestview is more overpriced than some areas, but drove through there a few days ago and was a little surprised at how many people were out and about, jogging, pushing strollers, walking dogs. It has been desirable for a long time, but seems to be a place that late 20-30 somethings are flocking to.

If you prefer an older neighborhood, keep looking around Austin. Allandale is a good alternative and so is Highland Park. We lived and raised our children in Allandale for 25 years. It was a sweet life in the hood, which my kids have said they would like for their own children. Some of their friends have moved back to Allandale and are doing just that.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
My wife grew up in Crestview. We went to Little Deli just yesterday. We're hoping to move there before our daughter starts school since its closer to the the private school we'll send her to. It really is convenient to everything and perfectly safe.

I personally think it depends on your lifestyle. For example, we live 14 miles from downtown right now. Problem is, everything we do...Zilker, restaurants, etc. are all in the downtown area. It makes no sense for us to live out here. We spend our life in the car. We've realized that a smaller house in town means we can spend more time out of house doing what we love instead of being trapped out in the sticks.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
You can look up crime stats by zip or type here:
krimelabb--Austin Citywide Crime Data

Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
I'm not really sure why you were "creeped out" by Crestview/Brentwood. Those neighborhoods are about as safe and wholesome as you can get in North Central Austin. My sister just recently bought a house in Crestview and loves it there. She says that she knows all of her neighbors and that everyone is friendly to each other. I also live about 1.5 miles away from her in the Skyview neighborhood (very similar to Crestview but a lot less expensive because it hasn't been "discovered" yet) and have similar things to say about it.

If you like older homes and prefer a more central location, definitely look into Crestview/Brentwood. Like others here said, rent for a few months if you're unsure about what you want to do.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Crestview/Brentwood and Steiner Ranch are like two different worlds. I was surprised at the thread title, comparing the two.
That's what I thought. It's like a thread title asking "New Toyota Camry or 1982 Volvo 240GL"?

Apples and Oranges. Unless the Central location provides a great deal of personal value (social and/or lifestyle) and convenience, you're paying a lot for old, small space.

Steve

Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Crestview will have the advantage of a rail station that takes you downtown while Steiner Ranch is completely auto-dependent.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That's what I thought. It's like a thread title asking "New Toyota Camry or 1982 Volvo 240GL"?

Apples and Oranges. Unless the Central location provides a great deal of personal value (social and/or lifestyle) and convenience, you're paying a lot for old, small space.

Steve
This is true in that it wouldn't make sense to work near Steiner and live in Crestview but, again, personal preferences come into play. I don't see old, small spaces, I see charm and character that's lacking in newer developments. Give me central. To each his or her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: