Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,654 times

Advertisements

Just bought a house in Lake Pointe, but not moved to the area yet, so unable to monitor weather.
There is a sprinkler system but I don't know what frequency to use at this time of tyear.
Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I've always heard that your lawn should get 1" of water per week, whether through rain, the sprinkler system, or a combination.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I think Lake Pointe is in the Bee Caves area, is that right? The 1" of water per week is sufficient if you have good soil. I expect the soil around Bee Caves is pretty thin and rocky, as it is here in the Oak Hill area. You might need to water more often.

Back when the City allowed us to water every 5 days, that seemed to work pretty well for my St. Augustine lawns. The changes in regulations last summer allowing watering only once ever 7 days resulted large patches of my lawn burning, even though I increased the watering time. The soil in hot sunny areas just didn't seem able to retain moisture that long.

Right now I'm watering twice a week, 10 minutes for the sunny zones and 8 minutes for shrubs and shady zones. I expect I will have to increase that as it gets hotter.

I tested my sprinkler system by setting out containers to measure how much water the system provided, the 10 minute cycle seemed to produce close to an inch of water in the containers.

If your lawns are bermuda, zoysia or Buffalo Grass you can water less.

The City of Austin has some good lawn care guides here: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/garden_basics.htm

Quote:
• Water before the sun comes up
to help prevent fungal diseases
and evaporation
• Water deeply and infrequently to
encourage deeper roots and
prevent thatch
Water so that the soil is wet to
a depth of 4-6 inches. To achieve
this, you will need to apply 1/2 to 1
inch of water which can be measured
in a small can or rain gauge

• Because water is more likely to
run off clay soils and sloping lots, it
may be necessary to irrigate slowly
or in multiple short cycles to
prevent water run-off
• Allow soil to dry out
between waterings
I don't think that 1/2 inch would be enough unless you have really good soil and one of the drought tolerant grasses.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
That grow green site (CptnRn put up the link) is the absolute best resource I have found for EVERYTHING about gardening in Austin. You can pickup the hardcopies of their books/pamphlets at many nurseries. But the site has all the info, too. How much to water, when to fertilize, what plants and trees are native, how they grow, which side of town they will work best in... all specific to the city.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,654 times
Just checked out the grow green site - definitely an excellent resource. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 AM

42 posts, read 206,499 times
I don't water my lawn. Everywhere I have ever lived in Austin, the grass always has survived any harsh summers and comes back just as green the next year. I may have just been getting lucky, but I have lived in Austin all my life, so I have weathered a few summers .

Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinitelookingtohelp View Post
I don't water my lawn. Everywhere I have ever lived in Austin, the grass always has survived any harsh summers and comes back just as green the next year. I may have just been getting lucky, but I have lived in Austin all my life, so I have weathered a few summers .
I other words - you don't have a lawn.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Not necessarily. It could be a native grass lawn which is adapted to the area and the climate and survives for that reason.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 44,564 times
Exactly. My lawn came back thicker than ever even after the droughts last year. The difference is it's a long standing lawn that has been planted for over 30 years and not new sod so the roots are well established.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM

42 posts, read 206,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I other words - you don't have a lawn.

Not correct, I do have a lawn I wouldn't have offered my input if I had nothing to base it on.

Currently I have 1 1/2 acres, but I have had many lawns in smaller residential areas in Austin as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin